52 in 52

4 in 5 days ain't bad (Read 367 times)

xhristopher

Just got three in a row and 4 in 5 days to catch up with BadDawg. My legs feel some kind of strange rubbery happy right now. If I weren't completely booked tomorrow I'd try for another.

Really nice job Chris, I think my days of hanging with you in races are over.  I got one in today, it was slushy and sloppy and slippery and slidy but it always feels good when it's done.

That strange kind of rubbery happiness was well earned, nicely done!

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

C-R

Nice

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I've just managed the same feat for the first time ever last week and I'm hoping to do it again this week. I think I know how your legs felt. Last week was my biggest week ever too - 120km (74 miles).

I'm just hoping that I'm doing it slowly and steadily enough to let my body hold together - and not end up with a crash and burn.

Running - cheaper than therapy

jeffdonahue

Well, that makes me feel like a sloth only getting in 10 miles yesterday and not getting in one at all last week.  I'll get one in this week but probably just the one as I taper a bit for my 10 miler next weekend.

I've just managed the same feat for the first time ever last week and I'm hoping to do it again this week. I think I know how your legs felt. Last week was my biggest week ever too - 120km (74 miles).

I'm just hoping that I'm doing it slowly and steadily enough to let my body hold together - and not end up with a crash and burn.

We all hope you stay healthy my friend, we don't want 'ian" to become a verb that means to run like hell then crash and burn.   Smile

I don't think I've ever had a 74 mile calendar week, although I might have on a "rolling 7 day" basis.  I've only hit 70 a couple of times and know it's not easy (for men of a certain age), well done!

Good luck with your 10 miler Jeff, where are you racing?

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I felt pretty good getting in a 13.2 miler on Friday, then my longest run ever yesterday for 16.25 miles after not running at all last Sunday and Monday because I was sick. But 4 +13.1 in 5 days is crazy.

Oh yeah, I also passed Jeff on the YTD, thanks for tapering Wink and good luck in your race.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

jeffdonahue

Good luck with your 10 miler Jeff, where are you racing?

There is an Inaugural Black Cat 10 mile/20 mile race up in Salem, MA this weekend.  I've never run a race on it's first year so i thought that would be cool - and if I can make it every year for a while that would be even cooler to say "I've run every year since they started".

but in reality I signed up because a friend asked me to run it with her - then she never signed up and bailed completely.  So I'm on my own and figured I'd shoot for a 10 mile PR.  Hopefully the weather (and the road conditions) will be agreeable by Sunday.

Once this is over, I plan to focus on improving my 5K time for a race my company is sponsoring in June (The Lawyer's Have a Heart 5K in Boston).  I'd like to break 20 again which I havent done in over a year now, and hopefully get closer to breaking 19:00.

jeffdonahue

Oh yeah, I also passed Jeff on the YTD, thanks for tapering Wink and good luck in your race.

Well, you shaould gain a little more on me this week.  My coach has my mileage pretty low leading up to the race.  But I should be back on track next week and then it'll be on like Donkey Kong.

Speaking of which, I really miss that game.

xhristopher

Good job Ian. Looks like you are havinig a solid February. I hope it moves your fitness along positivley.

The string of halfs was in large part penance for not hitting my mileage and workout goals over much of the last month. I'm not trying to make up miles, only start March off early with a bang. I'm only really happy with one week in my last 5.  My legs seem to tolerate the miles. It's just the speed work I need to be smart about. Fortunately I think more miles is what I need to deepen my endurance and meet my spring marathon goal, thus this 13.1 project. It's working. Other than the time commitment running 13.1 has become easy and that can't be bad.

Now that the weather is "improving" I'll have better options to get the miles I want and have a good March. I've decided to run this coming weekend's 30K as a MP training run, at least the last 12 miles of it, so I'll be working right through the week. The following week I have a goal 5K that I'll be racing all out so I'll take a mini taper for it. I've done nothing 5K specific other than run lots so we'll see how that goes.

Jeff, good luck with that 10 miler. 10 day forecast says showers but we know in New England 10 day forecasts are for entertainment purposes only.

Interestingly my schedule has a hole in it this afternoon and another tomorrow morning. Both are big enough to fit another 13.1 in them. Hmm....

jeffdonahue

What 5K are you doing Chris?

xhristopher

What 5K are you doing Chris?

I'm running the Ras na hEireann (registration is still open) in Somerville. Since it's a big race the goal is to just get sucked along for a (hopefully) fast time. I'm going to try to keep up with Bash who seems to be on fire once again. After Boston I hope to be able to focus on 5Ks for a bit after I recover. I like them and it feels strange not to have raced one since the beginning of November.

jeffdonahue

I'll be in Vermont that weekend skiing.

But I used to run 10-15 5Ks a year, and lately have been doing like 3.

I'm going to try to keep up with Bash who seems to be on fire once again.

Bash has been chasing the official Greater Lowell pace bunny, also know as Jason.  Maybe you should too.   : )

A fine looking collection of Lowellians  Bash one in from the left, J one in from the right wearing his official GLRR bunny suit.  I've seen this pic a bunch of times, but just noticed my dog's nose sticking up from behind the island. 

MTA:  you don't have to be a GLRR member to check out the track workouts on Thursday (but once you try you'll want to join...)  

http://glrr.net/track/index.htm

E.J.

xhristopher

I chased/pushed Jason at the Wilmington half last fall. It worked out ok for both of us. I like the idea of thursday track workouts. The program I'm loosely following begins asking for intervals about now, 5x1200 this week. I'll have to see what the schedule allows.

BTW, your dog looks fast.