52 in 52

Week of January 9th (Read 235 times)

LIke a fool, I accepted my buddy Jason's invitation for an 18-ish run on the hills of Dracut with an excellent runner by the name of Joe Donnelly.  I was more than a little concerned about hanging in with Joe, he ran Baystate in 2:37 this year.  

It was to be an 8am start, but there was no sign of Jason when two runners emerged from Joe's house and things got worse.  I immediately recognized the second runner as DoubleJ (Jim Johnson) who was 7th overall at Baystate in 2:27.

Joe assured me they were going to "take it easy", but I had a pretty good idea I was in for a world of hurt.  I was right.  I was actually hanging in pretty well on some fairly ridonculous hills, but I was really starting to feel Tuesday's 27 miler and Thursday's track session.  I think my average pace around mile 17 was around 7:15, then the wheels really came off.  I had to do a fair bit of walking after that, and Joe and Jim were very gracious about doubling back to check in with me.  Two more outstanding examples of the great folks you find in the running community.

Unfortunately the autolap was off on my watch, so I can't say how bad my post 17 fade was but it was pretty bad.  On the positive side, I haven't really pushed myself to exhaustion in a while so it was a very good workout.  I'll be back for more of this abuse, but probably not next week.

Jason's got some 'splaining to do.

E.J.
    Greater Lowell Road Runners
    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

jeffdonahue

Nice!!!!

At least you had someone to run with.  I pushed out 13.1 excruciating miles at 5:00am yesteray morning by myself.  My friend bailed on me last minute.  It felt way harder than 13 miles hsould have felt - especially given the slow pace I was running at.

C-R

Awesome. There are some good folks in the running community. Looks like you met two more.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

xhristopher

Nice workout.

Powered by RunningAHEAD.com

Nice!!!!

At least you had someone to run with.  I pushed out 13.1 excruciating miles at 5:00am yesteray morning by myself.  My friend bailed on me last minute.  It felt way harder than 13 miles hsould have felt - especially given the slow pace I was running at.

When my alarm went off at 6am, I did a quick pro and con balance sheet for the run.  Wound up with about 2 pro, and 10 con but did the run anyway because of the (expected) company.  Most of my runs are pretty solitary so I couldn't pass it up.  The run was Jason-less, but with Joe and DoubleJ it was well worth the 40 minute drive.

Feeling pretty OK walking around today, can hardly wait to see how the first couple miles of a recovery run feel tonight. 

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Not sure what this group is but I just wanted to pop in to congratulate BadDawg for earning a mention in Jim Johnson's blog.  The first time JJ mentioned me in his blog was one of the proudest moments of my running life so this is kind of a big deal.

As you were.

Runners run

Thanks mikey, running with Joe and JIm was very special.  it was incredibly enjoyable torture.  

Today when I got home, there was a shiny new pair of Saucony Kinvara on the porch.  Yay!  Now there is a sweaty pair of Kinvara with 13.24 miles on them.  Double yay!  With the forecast, I figured this would be the only chance to sneak another in this week.

E.J.

xhristopher

Decided to take today off due to snow shoveling so, since I'd be sleeping in, I went out last night, er...very early this morning, to get today's run in. Somehow I decided to extend it to 13.1 since "I had the time." Snow was accumulating at about 1.5 to 2 inches an hour. The last 45 minutes were real hell but it's done. I'm not sure I'd recommend it and don't want to do it again anytime soon. I was a running snowman. Someone needs to check my sanity now.

Someone needs to check my sanity now.

The batteries in my sanity checker must be dead, I set it to xhristoher and it's reading a big fat zero.  Nice work Chris!  

It really was coming down fast, I couldn't believe how much was already on the ground when I dragged my butt out of bed.  Today's a good day if you happen to be a snowshoer or an XC skier, runners not so much.

E.J.