52 in 52

Ouch - that was stupid (Read 158 times)

jeffdonahue

15 miler yesterday morning.  I needed to get it in, and my gym doesnt open till 7:00 so I decided to run outside. I checked the weather and it was 38 degrees, so I am thinking - that's pretty warm, there shouldnt be much ice out there then.

Completely wrong!!!!

I fell at mile 5 (hard) and again at mile 7 (not so bad) and ran back to the gym at mile 10 to finish up on the treadmill (never been so happy to be on a treadmill in my life).  My hand, shoulder and right hip still hurt today (though some of the shoulder is probably from shovelling).

Damn black ice!!!

Sorry to hear you hit the deck Jeff, at least it was in the line of duty.  I went down hard a week ago, hauling recycling bins to the curb.

Had a car slide an entire car length down the driveway yesterday, it's a good thing I did a really good job on the sidewalk because that's where the tires finally grabbed.  The back bumper was about a foot from taking out the side of my Jeep which was parked on the street at the bottom of the driveway.  Thank God nobody was on the sidewalk at the time.

Hope you recover quickly and well, I have never been so sick (and tired) of winter.  It can't go away fast enough.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

xhristopher

I'm kinda in the same boat. 

We went to Maine for a weekend away and yesterday I was to run the Mid Winter 10 miler with a friend and have lunch afterwards. Well, apparently folks in Maine aren't as hearty as they once were and cancelled the race out of fear of winter weather. Undeterred, we went for an 18 miler with the hopes of averaging 7:30s. A couple miles in while running along the coast, black ice, slop, and regular ice made an ugly appearance big time. I hit a patch of black ice going down a hill and took a nice long slide on my back. This morning, I was thinking my left glut and shoulder was oddly sore from the run. About an hour later I realize that was from hitting the deck. 

BTW, we have noticeably more snow in the Boston area than in Maine. Let's just get through this unscathed.

I hit a patch of black ice going down a hill and took a nice long slide on my back. This morning, I was thinking my left glut and shoulder was oddly sore from the run. About an hour later I realize that was from hitting the deck. 

Ouch.  I guess I should consider myself lucky, I suffered a bruised ego and bruised forearm but no road rash.  One more horror story and I'll be investing in a gym membership.  Bleccccch.

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

xhristopher

Jeff had it worse. I enjoyed my run. I only wish the footing were better so I could have enjoyed the scenery rather than look at the ground.

jeffdonahue

Yeah, I was okay till the fall.  AFter that, I have to say I was just staring at the ground in front of me and carefully planning each step.  Not very enjoyable and the nervousness at that point probably had my HR higher than it should have been too (especially considering the goad awful slow pace I was going at).

If the weather guys are to be believed, we could hit 40 on Sunday and next week is looking pretty good too.  Oh please, oh please, oh please...

E.J.

jeffdonahue

I was just happy this morning, as I drove to the gym to get on the treadmill again, and I noticed that most of the roads (while still kind of narrow) do not have ice on them anymore.  this bodes well for some outside running tomorrow and Sunday morning.