52 in 52

Today's hurt (Read 142 times)

jeffdonahue

Not sure why, but today's 13 miler hurt more than the 17 I did last weekend.  i definitely had plenty of rest as I had to do two easy 1 mile days thsi week due to a pulled calf muscle.  Maybe I was just dehydrated.  I didnt bring water with me and didnt get to a water fountain until mile 11 of the run (and I didnt get that much water out of it anyway).

I was planning another for tomorrow (before I leave for vacation where I may not get any) so I hope it goes better than today - might have to carry or dump water somewhere on my course.

You've had five consistent months, so hopefully that solid base means a very minor pull with a speedy and complete recovery.  Do whatever you need to stay off the bench Jeff, for a mid-October marathon we're getting close to the point where the risk/reward starts to tip toward caution.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

jeffdonahue

You've had five consistent months, so hopefully that solid base means a very minor pull with a speedy and complete recovery.  Do whatever you need to stay off the bench Jeff, for a mid-October marathon we're getting close to the point where the risk/reward starts to tip toward caution.

Yeah, but no marathons in the plan for me this year - really just trying to build up my base and get stronger.  I might do a half - havent really decided yet.  Just trying to enjoy my running for a while - and honestly had I been closer to the gym i would have scrapped todays run when it got uncomfortable, but that didnt happen till I was probably 8-9 miles in and at that point the quickest way back to the gym was the route I had planned anyway.

jpdeaux

What BD said.

And this: At my age I "dump water" on the course most days over 10 miles myself. But I'm not sure that's what you meant. Wink

Yeah, but no marathons in the plan for me this year 

Ah, I thought the Baystate entry in your sig was for this year.  Now I get it, it's October of 2017.    Clown

Marathon or not, here's wishing you lots of enjoyable trouble-free miles Jeff.

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

jeffdonahue

Ah, I thought the Baystate entry in your sig was for this year.  Now I get it, it's October of 2017.    Clown

Marathon or not, here's wishing you lots of enjoyable trouble-free miles Jeff.

Nope, just never changed my sig from last year - oops!

Anyway, got another 15 miler in this morning - it felt better than yesterday.  The end was still a little tough, but really just the last mile or two when I ran out of water again.  I brought a bottle with me, dropped it at mile 3 as I headed out to Lake Quannapowitt in Wakefield.  There are 2 water fountains on the lake so I got water at both of those, then picked up the bottle again as I returned home.  But around mile 13 the water got low and had no place to fill it.

I also brought along a package of GU Chomps to eat during some water/walk breaks along the way.  All in all I was happy with it and plan to take a rest day tomorrow.  All in all I should have 30 or so miles in a 3 day period, so I think my legs earned a rest.