52 in 52

When do you make it a 13.1 mile run (Read 479 times)

xhristopher

I haven't been able to extend ANY of my freaking dreadmill workouts to 13.1 miles.

I felt I had a good shot at it on Saturday evening. I was feeling really good about that run when I saw a Highway Patrol car speeding down the highway, followed within minutes by an ambulance. Its winter and slippery out and at that time of the night I was expecting my 16 year old daughter to return from a movie with friends. The theater they were at was in the direction that the emergency vehicles were traveling.

I got the "sick to my stomach" feeling after the ambulance sped passed, so I HAD to stop my run, get in the car and see where they were headed. After seeing nothing for 10 miles (half way to the next town) I turned around and went home to find my daughter already home. I didn't feel much like returned for the final 5 miles after that.

MTA: expected low tomorrow morning of -20 without a windchill factor.

Hard to run when your worried about more important things.

-20 isn't fun. In fact I'll bet it's dangerous. I'm running a 16 miler this Sunday in Derry, NH. I'm not concerned about the hills or distance but I'm struggling to wrap my mind around racing in 10-13 degree weather.

Here's the current forcast:

Sun
    Jan 23

Partly Cloudy
    Partly Cloudy

13°
    -13°

20%

Winds are scheduled to be 8 or 9 mph.

jeffdonahue

MTA: expected low tomorrow morning of -20 without a windchill factor.

Just think of how many points you'll get in this group by running tomorrow morning

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/moremilesthandegrees/

You'll probably get a few points just for thinking about running in that temperature.

jeffdonahue

Way to get it done. I'm in the same boat as I've nearly resigned myself to the treadmill for now and am even starting to familiarize myself with running "hills" on it. There's a good argument to be made that running outside in the dark around here is dangerous since I'm constantly popping out on narrowed streets into traffic. We're going to Florida in a month and I was dreading the prospect of running countless 2 mile loops on the Disney property but now endless flat loops in a warm snow free Florida seems very appealing.

Oh, last night I went out for a 6-8 mile treadmill run and extended that into 13.1. Running the last 5K tempo wasn't in the plan but it felt right at the time and my legs aren't angry this morning.

So far so good. I jumped in here because I think getting longer mid week runs is going to help my marathon this spring and so far this has been helping me meet that goal.

I love how you word it "I went out for 6-8 mile run" on the treadmill.

And geez, how fast do you want to get.  I would love to have your marathon time - you didnt struggle at all in october at Baystate.

I'm shooting for a good 10 mile time at the Black Cat 10 miler in March in Salem.  My PR is 1:14Tight lippedx and I'm hoping to hit about 1:10 this year.  After that I'd like to get my 5K time down closer to where you are.

I was dreading the prospect of running countless 2 mile loops on the Disney property but now endless flat loops in a warm snow free Florida seems very appealing.

Yes, yes it does.  Greater Lowell has an 8:00 Saturday morning $1.00 5k in Tewksbury known as The Fudgcicle.  I generally don't show up for it because...

Last Saturday's pre-race temp:

Jeff's not an old man, he's in his twenties.  That's ice in his beard and on his hat.

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

xhristopher

I love how you word it "I went out for 6-8 mile run" on the treadmill.

And geez, how fast do you want to get.  I would love to have your marathon time - you didnt struggle at all in october at Baystate.

I'm shooting for a good 10 mile time at the Black Cat 10 miler in March in Salem.  My PR is 1:14Tight lippedx and I'm hoping to hit about 1:10 this year.  After that I'd like to get my 5K time down closer to where you are.

You're right. Going out for a treadmill run does have a strange ring to it. Still true when you have to drive to the gym...

Right now my run/life balance is a little out of wack. I think 40-50 mpw isn't so bad but 60-70 is a hell of a commitment for me during the winter. The goal is to respect Boston and race it as well as I can. I'm really looking forward to cutting back a little after April and trying my luck at 5Ks and perhaps some trail stuff.

I'll be running a 10 miler in Maine the same morning as the Black Cat. Seems silly to drive right past Salem for it. 1:10 seems challenging yet doable. A PR seems almost a given. What ever I do, I'll get a PR since I've never raced a 10 miler. About that fudgecicle... For some reason racing 3.1 in frigid temps seems less intimidating than doing it for 16. Even if I'm slow I won't be out that long. That said, I probably won't be running it anytime soon.

jeffdonahue

I'd do the fudgesicle (now that spelling just doesnt look right) but I work Saturdays through the end of February.  As it is, I'm missing all my kids basketball games every Saturday right now and that's killing me.  My youngest (7 y.o.) has been getting 5-6 baskets a game.

C-R

I'm just wondering if I am the only non Mass person on this listing. Hmm. Well enjoy the snow fellas as it is making its way through here on its way to you. Temps around here will be better than yours by a couple of degrees but the wind is what will kill here - no hills = no cover. I guess I will need to get those frostbite briefs for Saturday.

This is a hardcore crowd. No doubt.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I'm just wondering if I am the only non Mass person on this listing. Hmm. Well enjoy the snow fellas as it is making its way through here on its way to you. Temps around here will be better than yours by a couple of degrees but the wind is what will kill here - no hills = no cover. I guess I will need to get those frostbite briefs for Saturday.

This is a hardcore crowd. No doubt.

Minnesota. -21F as I type this

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

I'm just wondering if I am the only non Mass person on this listing. 

New Zealand for me.

I've never run in snow, and it never gets down to 32F around here. "Hard core" for me at the moment (summer time) is a long run at 75F, 90% humidity. In winter its something like running in a Thunderstorm with driving rain at, say, 40F.

Running - cheaper than therapy