Atlanta and North Georgia Runners

December 2012 (Read 169 times)

rainmakerrc

Seems like most of the user groups have weekly or monthly chat threads, so I thought I'd get the ball rolling . . . 

Easy 10 miler for me this morning to zap the zero for the week. Also, I found a $10 off coupon and pulled the trigger for the 2013 Publix Georgia Marathon on 3/17/13. I'm still in recovery and rebuild mode following Chickamauga, but I'll be back on a formal Pfitz plan in a couple of weeks. Excited to be gearing up for marathon #2!

Great idea, rainmaker! Nice job with your 10.

I ran a little over 6 very easy miles today, ran them somewhere between my usual easy range and typical recovery pace. Still some residual soreness from my 10K on Saturday, mostly in the lower calves. Probably partly because I ran 8 on Sunday, which is more than I'm used to the day after a race. 

I will most likely run the GA marathon in March also. Had hoped to travel to a flatter race for a better shot at a PR, but I think the local option is going to work out easiest for various reasons.

PRs: 5K: 21:25, 10K: 44:05, HM: 1:38:23* (downhill), M: 3:32:09

rainmakerrc

Nice run, NTS!  If you want the coupon code for the $10 discount on the marathon, its ATLHALFSAVE10  It was supposed to expire on 12/1/12 (and it seemed to be over the weekend when I first tried it), but it worked when I used it today.  I had considered traveling to a flatter race, but agree that local races make the logistics so much easier.  No hotel needed, no long car drives, etc.  I'm trying to keep all of my races local this year (unless there just happens to be a race in a place where we had already planned on going this year).

camille2

I did about 5 this morning while they changed my oil and rotated the tires, etc .  Man, the weather has been awesome!  Hoping it is this nice for the Santle Hustle in Sevierville Sunday.  It sounds like a lot of fun and I always push harder in a race than in training. I'll need a few extra miles after the race to get my long run in.

I can handle a weekly update here-good idea .  I'd love to read short (or long) race reports so I know which races are worth a drive next year.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Good luck up in Sevierville, Camille!

My next race will be the Karen Lawrence 4 mile (it was 4.6 miles last year) on New Years' Eve in Chattanooga.

My next big race will be the Gate River Run 15K down in Jacksonville, FL. It was my first 15K ever when I ran it last year. I think I'll be a little faster this time around.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

camille2

I did the Santa Hustle. The atmosphere was fun, Santa shirts and hats were neat, the course was completely forgettable (though not  hilly) and it was my worst half time of the year, despite having more recent training.  Which leads me to a question.  It wasn't hot Sun-about 60 at the start and warming-but humidity was 95, I think.  I'm not here in summers and I felt really draggy! Drippy, soggy, sticky...  How do you regular Atlanta runners deal with the humidity? I was down to my tank top by mi 1. I handcarried a smalll bottle and had a couple sips of gatorade at the stations, which were well organized.  Any tips?

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Camille, I don't think you can ever get totally used to running in the heat. After all, it is HOT! But if you introduce warmer weather into your runs over a period of a few weeks, you will somewhat acclimate to the warmer temperatures. 70 will become very comfortable and 95, while uncomfortable, will be less of a burden than it would be if you were used to much cooler weather.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

rainmakerrc

Hi, all!  How's the running been going lately?  Anyone have big plans for the upcoming holidays?

I made it back up to 65 mi last week and am planning on cutting back to the mid 50's this week.  Next week, I'll be back in a Pfitz plan for my upcoming marathon in March.  We'll see how the holidays and travel plans mesh with a 68-70 mi week, LOL.

Hi everyone! Sorry I've been kind of MIA for a bit on this thread. 

rainmaker, thanks for posting that discount code--I wasn't able to register right at that time, but I did happen across another discount, so it's all good. Sounds like your training is going well.

camille, that Sunday of your race was just a really, really humid day. I had sweat just raining off of the front of my hair that day, it was driving me crazy. Then this past Sunday I got caught in a drenching rain. Would not be so bad, except people here drive even worse in the rain. I almost got hit in a crosswalk by a driver who just wasn't really paying  attention--when I waved my arms around to let her know I was right in front of her, she clapped her hand over her mouth with this omg look...

My training is going  pretty well, I think. Since I'm not following a formal plan, I'll at least write out kind of a schedule for my marathon training, probably using one of the popular plans as a basis. I had thought about doing a 12 week Pfitz plan, but now I've committed to doing some group runs that are not really going to match that schedule. I'll probably put together something similar to the last half of a Hudson plan (though probably with the days shifted a bit). I've got my mileage up to about 52 mpw (except for recovery weeks) and I'm feeling pretty good at that level, which is great, since last time I tried that kind of mileage, the legs didn't seem to tolerate it well. Getting in at least one day with some faster running, sometimes a smaller amount of faster running on an additional day.

Right now I have a black eye which I got doing a faceplant yesterday in Piedmont Park, when I slipped on a small piece of wood from a tree which was lying perpendicular to my running direction. I didn't see the thing because I'd momentarily turned my head to the left when I realized I'd meant to turn down a flatter path (was doing a  tempo run). So when I stepped on it, it rolled, and my face, ribcage and left knee took the impact. 

I'm spending Christmas with some friends here in town.

Hope everyone is well!

camille2

Rainmaker, nice miles!  Mine dropped this past 8-9 days...OOT company, xmas,  knee flare...but I did 6 today and should be back on track now.  I did keep the 15 min/day streak/family challenge.

Tom, good luck on your 4 miler!  You know, the Santa Hustle wasn't hot but it was so humid.

Not too swift, you described the sweat perfectly...raining off me that day.  Watch out for those drivers and the sticks in the path.

Hope everyone had a great holiday.  Mine was great-family get togethers and dau home for a week, though she was sick most of the time.

How many are doing the Resolution Run?  I'm still planning it, but haven't signed up yet.

Now I just went and signed up for the Atlanta Marathon in October also. Also a 10K in Va-High on 3/3, two weeks before the Georgia Marathon, the Intown Ten. I've never done 2 marathons in one calendar year, so  2013 will be a first for me in that regard.

Hopefully 2013 is the year I go back to setting PRs.

2012: yearly mileage PR of 2245

12/2012 monthly mileage PR of 235

Terrible race times, gained a bunch of weight and lost most of it again. Finally things are looking up.

Happy New Year's Eve, everyone! Smile