Annapolis, Maryland

Bates track (Read 344 times)

Does anyone know how long the track is?  It seems smaller than a normal high school track,   I've been told a normal sized track is 1/4 mile per lap.  But this track seems smaller to me.  

Anyone know? 

- Anya

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It's a 400 meter track. That's just barely shorter than 1/4mi. Modern tracks are almost all 400 meters -- and that is one that is. BTW, the Annapolis Striders  All-Comers track meets are on that track in July.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Thanks!!!!! 

- Anya

It's very cushioned, I enjoy running on it. 

- Anya

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The modern rubberized tracks -- or whatever they are -- are really nice surfaces, I think too.

Gig

By the way, the indoor track at the rec center claims to be 1/8th of a mile. I trained for my six-minute mile goal last year mostly on that track, and I was really pleased with my progress until I didn't come close to my goal at the John Wall. It turns out that I ran exactly what I trained for, but it wasn't a 1 mile race I had trained for because I was on the inside lane mostly. The outside lane is 1/8th. (I'm not blaming anybody but myself. What was I doing training so much inside anyway, right?)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Hm. I don't know anything about indoor tracks, but outdoor tracks are measured in lane 1 (inside lane), not the outside lane. Seems silly to measure in the outside lane. I suspect competitive indoor tracks are measured in lane 1 (but have no actual knowledge).

Gig

They actually call it a "walking track." So, not really competitive. Smile

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I recently was told that before PG got that indoor track, the track teams used to go up to an armory in Baltimore for indoor track. I asked what an armory was doing with an indoor track. I was told, oh they don't have one, they just use tape and mark the the concrete floor. And the kids tend to wear duct tape on their feet to improve traction. Wow. How sad is that.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Saw this recently:

The Annapolis Striders recently purchased a new water fountain to be installed by the Annapolis Recreation and Parks Department at the Bates Track in the spring when old man winter is in our rear view mirror. This fountain will be a most welcome addition to the facilities at Bates.