Annapolis, Maryland

Trail running in Annapolis? (Read 504 times)

Gig

Any ideas for running on trails? By trails, I mean ones that aren't paved. The Dog Days 8K is coming up, and much of that is through dirt trails in the woods, but I'm looking for something a little bit closer to home. I just got my first ever pair of Vibram Five Fingers,

and road running is a bit punishing for now. I can't see going more that a mile or two until I build up to it over a few months. But if I could find some dirt trails, that might change things a bit.

Any suggestions?

ymmv

Have you run the trails behind Annapolis High School? There is a group that goes every Sunday about 9:00 AM.

Here is one map. There are lots of choices back there, so you can get some extra miles if you get lost!

Its very natural, considering how close-in it is.

There is also a trail running group around that I can put you in touch with. They just had a 10K, 15K, 25K, and 50K down at Rosaryville Park on July 12th.

AHS Trails

Gig

I didn't know about those trails. Thanks!
        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

A friend and I volunteered at Rosaryville (the July 12th races mentioned above), and then ran the 10K part afterward -- after about 10 hours of volunteering! -- and really enjoyed the whole experience and the trail.

There is an email group called Annapolis Trail Runners (ATRunners I believe) on yahoo, as well.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Gig

Yes, but if I join that group, I'll probably get talked into doing JFK. (I just joined. JFK is c.losed. I'm safe, this year.)
            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Ha. Yes I went to look at JFK about a week ago, and it was closed then, so I escaped too. Smile

I just got my first ever pair of Vibram Five Fingers,

Hi Gig,

I totally think the Five Finger would work great on a trail.  Let me know how you like the AHS trails.  One side note, I got a micro tear in my calf from overduing it in my Five Fingers.   I went 2 miles my first time, and it was a huge mistake. 

- Anya

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

All I've ever done along those lines is maybe half a mile barefoot running on the astroturf after the John Wall Mile. That was fun, but that astroturf was painfully hot, due to the heat & sun. But aside from the heat, the barefoot running was fun.

I was so into bafefoot until I tore my calf.   d'oh !

I wish I had some everyday trails to use.  I like the idea of barefoot, but not on pavement.   The five fingers are pretty cool ,though.

- Anya

Gig

I did the Dog Days 8K today in my VFFs. That's by far the longest I've gone in them, but I figured that it's my best opportunity to get some real usage outta them. I planned to go easy, around a 9:00 pace, but ended up with an 8:37 pace. They were tons of fun in the woods. (Not nearly as much fun on the pavement.)
                      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Very nice with the VFF!

I only found out about Dog Days late Saturday night when someone emailed looking for a carpool -- doh. So I didn't get the sleep I was hoping for, but I did find the community college, and had fun on the race. Especially I liked discovering the freezepops over in the corner beyond the finish line. Also I was glad to never hit mud; I wasn't sure what to expect after I found out it was cross-country-ish.

I saw Avery come in as the first female, with another woman pretty close behind her -- quite a change from John Wall when she (Avery) only made 3rd in her age group.