Annapolis, Maryland

Downs Park 5 Miler (Read 448 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Congratulations Gig on PR today Smile (No, I didn't run it, but I saw your post elsewhere.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Gig

Thanks. So there's this guy, We'll call him Timmy. I've been chasing him for years, now. Every race, I get closer. Technically, I beat him by about 10 minutes in the metric marathon, but he had never run nearly that far, so he said before the race that he was going to take it easy. So I can't count that. Yesterday, I had him in my sights. I might have been able to kick it into high gear for the last quarter mile, but I've got this marathon coming up in three weeks, and I've been nursing some nagging pains that I didn't want to aggravate. I opened it up a bit, but then he did, too. I was catching him, but not nearly quickly enough. Still, I finished just over ten seconds behind him. (I thought it was five, but not according to the official results. Stupid officials. Angry) I was so happy about getting so close, that it took me a half hour to realize how well I had done. At the beginning of the year, I had set a 9 minute pace as my goal for a 5 miler. I achieved that in August with an 8:30 pace for an 8K. I decided that I was going to relax durnig this race. I had a long run the next day, and I didn't want to mess anything up so close to the marathon. Unfortunately, I forgot my Garmin, and I missed the first mile mark. For the other miles, I sort of realized that I was moving kinda well, but mostly I was enjoying the race. It was at Downs Park, in the 'dena (Pasadena, MD). The park is at the point where the North River and the Magothy River converge into the Chesapeake Bay. There isn't much to the park besides trees, but the trees are gorgeous, especially during the race. The leaves have changed colors but haven't fallen quite yet. There were a lot of really nice, interesting people. We had a great time. I tried to get people to sing Ona Move by Michael Franti with me, but I guess nobody knew the song. ("Everybody ona move / na na na / Everybody let's grove / na na na") But I digress. About a half hour after finishing, I ran into my adopted coach Tara. She kept talking about how I was moving REALLY fast. I agreed that I felt great, but it took a while to realize that I had run a 7:33 pace. Holy Crap! That was about the most relaxed I've ever run a race! So, I'm pretty stoked. I set a lot of goals for myself this year, and although they were all PRs, I felt pretty good about being able to achieve them. But this one, I really blew out of the water. Yes And I had a lot of fun doing it.
      ymmv

Congratulations on your PR for Down's Park. You sure killed your last year's time on it! What marathon are you going to run in 3 weeks, Rehoboth Beach?
        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Wow, quite a great race Smile

Gig

Yep, Rehoboth Beach. It's their first one. Here's the course: The finish is at Dolles. Mmm. Caramel popcorn.
            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It's hard to read the miles -- looks like the first "mile 12" is a typo for "mile 11", but it looks like you go counter-clockwise around the park loop, which means you have to go down the steep hill there (just at the half-way point). Ugh. On the plus side, it looks like you run the outer park path, so in an emergency there is one bathroom just off of it (um, between the mile 7 pin and the mile 22 pin, I think). Plus there is the park nature center c. mile 12 pin. Gee I am tempted by this.

Gig

Tempted by the bathroom or the marathon. (Sorry, but it was too easy.) There are 450 registered as of yesterday. Here's the link, if you're interested. http://www.runningrehoboth.com/marathon-2008.htm The map on their sight isn't much more clear. In fact, it's a PDF scan of a penciled map on lined looseleaf paper. But the descriptions are helpful.
                AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Tempted by the bathroom or the marathon. pful.
                  Heh Smile I rang and talked to them, and I'm clear on all but the Rehoboth end, and I am happy to just follow the arrows and volunteers at that end. I'll run either the marathon myself, or the relay, depending on someone else.

Gig

Have you made a decision, yet? When are you picking up your race packet?
                    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm doing it relay with my wife. Packet? Do we have to pick that up ahead of time? I didn't ask about that.

Gig

You can pick it up Friday evening until 8:00 I think. I'm not sure about race day.
                        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Race day morning from 0530 to 0630 or something like that. You running it?

Gig

Yep. I signed up about a month ago.
                            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Hey as long as we're doing such a great job of staying on-topic, I got another question -- do I have to join the Striders before Jan 1 or after Jan 1 or when -- if my goal is to pay the $20 fee to preregister for the entire championship series for next year (I like the idea of running a bunch of different distances, and I like the idea of doing it cheaply)? I think I saw the answer somewhere when I was reading all the stuff at the site, or else someone told me something, but I'm old and forgetful...

Gig

I don't think it matters. After is probably better. The first race is in February, the Valentines Day 5K. I got an e-mail with some RBM info. In case you didn't get it.... Rehoboth Seashore Marathon Race Information A. Packet Pick – Up / Friday Night Expo: • Rehoboth Beach Running Co. (251 Rehoboth Avenue) • FRIDAY – Time: 2:00 PM – 8:00 PM • SATURDAY – Time 5:30 AM – 6:30 AM at the RACE STARTING LOCATION. • Runners will not be able to pick-up their packet AFTER 6:30 AM. B. Race Start time: 7:00 AM C. Start location: Boardwalk at Rehoboth Avenue. D. Finish location: Boardwalk at Rehoboth Avenue. E. Massage: Elite PT will be giving massages in the Expo tent at Rehoboth Beach Running Co. after the race F. After party: Catcher’s Restaurant (251 Rehoboth Avenue) Next to the Rehoboth Beach Running Company. • Racers: show race number for entry • Volunteers: show volunteer ticket • Guests: $15.00 fee (buy ticket at the expo or at the door) G. Awards: 12:30 PM – Location – Expo Tent in the RBRC parking lot. • No awards will be mailed. • Some prizes will be given. You must be present to accept your prize. Otherwise it will be given out to another category. H. Pre - Race Dinner: • Catcher’s - $9.99 pasta specials • Fins - Pasta Specials. • Dogfish Restaurant - Pasta specials. I. Bathrooms: • At the start: Baltimore Avenue, Rehoboth Avenue, and Delaware Avenue bathrooms will be open from (5:45-1:00) • Port-o-potties will be on the course about every 2 miles. J. Water stops: • About every 2 miles • Some water stops will be used twice on the out and back sections of the course. • Fluids on the course: Water and Gatorade K. Medical: The Sussex County Emergency Medical Services will be on hand (along the course) to provide EMS services. Some Final Thoughts: The weather here at the beach in November can be interesting. Please keep an eye on the forecast. As of today, the meteorological service is calling for Saturday’s weather to be a high in the mid 40’s and sunny. Remember, the high will not be at 7:00 AM, so dress appropriately (gloves, hat etc.) Hydration – Even though it will be cold during the race, please remember to hydrate. There will be plenty of water and Gatorade on the course.