A-Z Recipes

Soups and Such (Read 1051 times)

Kirsten, I just noticed on your profile that you are from Montague, I grew up in Whitehall. Perhaps on my next trip accross state I can pick up a few TJ's exclusives for you Smile Missa
    Hey Missa! I haven't had to go shopping to Meijer yet, so haven't searched for the tahini. You added asparagus and beans to your soup. That sounds good!...which is why I love soups- you can tweak the heck out of them! I actually don't use asparagus, but would like to. The one time I was going to make something, I used canned and that about grossed me out for a long while. But then, my in-laws steamed fresh and it and it was soooo good. I should probably try to include that in my diet too! I wish I could make some broccoli cheese soup (would die for that) but I can't eat cheese (lactose intolerant). I really miss that. Thanks for the other recipe...I'm on my way to check it out! I live a few miles outside of Whitehall. Do you have family here? Our families are on the east side of the state, near Flint, so we're always travelling over that way! I used to work in Oakland County and went to Oakland University a short while before we moved!

The Meek One

Lactose intolerant is tough, but I think you could get away with a stock of veggie broth, soy milk and nutritional yeast, not quite cheesy but close. Utopian Market in Montague should have the Nutritional Yeast it would be by the bulk foods. I use NY all the time for my tofu dishes. It adds a mild cheese flavor. Let me know if you are interested in any vegan main dish recipes. I eat vegan mainly, but do sometimes dive into pizza after a particularly harrowing week. I do have family still in the area my dad migrated down to Pier Marquette and my mom travelled to North Muskegon. I have to say I am very happy they are still there however, it is great to visit the west side. I really miss Lake Michigan, when I was a child it was only a 15 minute bike ride. The Detroit River simply doesn't offer the same sense of inner calm.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Missa, we MI gals HAVE to find a race to do together at some point! I would have done the CRIM 10 miler this year if hubby weren't going to be out-of-state for a JDRF benefit bike ride. Next year us west-side RA gals are already talking about planning a CRIM road trip! Have you ever run the Riverbank Run 25k in GR? It's an excellent race...think about it for next year. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The Meek One

I am certainly down with getting together with other Michigan girls for a race. I still consider myself a West Sider despite my long absence. If you find your self on the East side for a race please met me know I would love to join you! Missa

The Meek One

Acorn Squash and peanut butter soup 2 acorn squash baked 2 onions chopped 4 cloves garlic chopped 5 cups veggie broth 1/4 cup raisons 1/4 cup shredded coconut 1/2 cup roasted peanuts 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter cayenne pepper to taste To bake acorn squash cut in half, remove the seeds place face down in shallow baking sheet with a 1/2 in. water. Cook at 375 for 30- 45 minutes until soft. remove peel from the squash and add cooked squash to the veggie broth simmer next sautee onions and garlic in pan until soft add to squash and broth. Puree the mixture and return to a simmer Sautee the peanuts, raisons and coconut until lightly brown and add to pureed squash mixture keep simmering and finally add the peanut butter stir well and enjoy!
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Pumpkin and Sausage Soup 1 pound spicy sausage 4 c mashed pumpkin (2 15 oz cans) 1 qt. chicken broth 1 c. minced onion 2 c. chopped mushrooms 1 c heavy cream 4 cloves garlic, minced 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning Brown sausage, drain and add to the soup pot. Add the onion, garlic and herbs to the pan and sautee until browned. Add the pumpkin and broth with the sausage and mix well. Simmer 20-30 minutes. Stir in the cream and simmer on low another 10-15 min. Taste and add salt/pepper as needed.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Cheddar Beer Soup I used to work for a guy who made this killer soup...this is my knock-off version.... NOT light or low in calories...but few things that are good are. Wink 2# bacon 6 cans Campbell's cheddar cheese soup 3 soup cans favorite beer 3 soup cans milk 2 C. shredded sharp cheddar cheese 1 ginormous vidalia onion 1 ginormous green pepper (or 2 med.) .5 TB celery seed Cut bacon into small pieces and cook until VERY crisp (I throw it in the oven in a big roasting pan). Drain. Throw in pot with soup, beer, and milk. Add cheese, diced onion and green peppers and celery seed. Simmer over low heat until veggies are soft. Serve with popcorn and croutons. Makes ~6qts.

~ Sarah Kay

ashares

mexican soup im not sure as to the amounts of ingrediants, i rarely measure. just use your eye and taste test as u go along. ingrediants: chicken stock tortillas torn into pieces grape tomatoes corn red or black beans, precooked (or both) onions diced green peppers sliced in thin strips avacado sliced or chunked chile powder cilantro mexican cheese blend sour cream direction: heat the chicken stock and add tortilla pieces, simmer for a few minutes. add chile powder( you dont need much), corn, onion, green pepper and cover, stir occasionally when it apears that the tortilla pieces have almost disintegrated, making the the soup thick and creamy, add avacdo peces, beans and tiny tomatoes. cover and stir often, keep an eye on it! when its done, pour into mexican-esque bowls and top with cheese and cilantro and maybe even sour cream!
                    I made this twice already and absolutely love it. And its very low in calories. I stole it from All Recipes and tweaked it to my own tastes. It reads as a soup, but mine kinda comes out like a chili and then I serve it with rice or wrapped up in a tortilla. Also, the recipe makes a large quant, so for just my hubby and I, I like to half everything. It still yields enough for 3 day's worth of meals. Spicy Sausage and Bean "Soup" 1T Vegetable Oil 1 1/2c chopped onion 1 1/4c sliced carrots 2 cloves garlic (I use a ton more) 3c chicken broth (low sodium) 2T white sugar 1 (15oz) can of Kidney beans, drained 1 (150z) can Black beans, drained 1 package frozen corn 1 (14.5oz) can stewed or diced tomatoes 1 (4 ounce) can green chiles 6 links Sausage (I use spicy turkey, but chicken or regular would do just fine) Chili powder to taste Tumeric to taste Cumin to taste Salt and Pepper to taste Saute onion, garlic, carrots and green chilies in oil for about 5 mins. Cook sausage separately until no longer pink and cut into pieces. Add sausage and rest of ingredients to pot and let simmer for about 30 mins. Or, throw it all in a crock pot and cook for 6 hrs on Low. *When the recipe is halved (but still using 6 sausage links), total calorie count is about 1400, but yields 5 or 6 servings, making each serving about 250-270 calories.
                    jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Decided to bump this thread back up to the top, since I could live on soups.

I'm not a fan of sweet potatoes, but a friend made this for me and I love it. 

Sweet Potato, Carrot, Apple, and Red Lentil Soup

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/sweet-potato-carrot-apple-and-red-lentil-soup/Detail.aspx

Thanks for the post!!  That looks soooo good! 

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Decided to bump this thread back up to the top, since I could live on soups.

I'm not a fan of sweet potatoes, but a friend made this for me and I love it. 

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/sweet-potato-carrot-apple-and-red-lentil-soup/Detail.aspx

Thanks for posting this Jan, it's delicious!!! I didn't puree it and halved all ingredients except the apple and lentils...and I added some red pepper flakes. It is just wonderful! I've been eating it for the last 3 days and I'm sad I only have one bowl left! I will definitely make this again!

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

Everyone getting overloaded with yellow summer squash?

Summer Squash Soup

1/4 cup olive oil

1 large onion, rough chopped

6 large summer squash, rough chopped

4 stalks celery, rough chopped

3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped

6 cups chicken stock- can use veggie stock if you are a veggie

large handful of fresh basil leaves, rough chopped

handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped

1 cup heavy cream- can use FF half and half or regular milk or even skim

Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat oil in soup pot, till almost smokey, add onion, squash, and celery and cook till translucent, about 5 minutes, add garlic and cook for about 2 minutes longer. Add the Stock, cover, lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the basil and parsley, stir to wilt the herbs in, and using an Immersion blender, blend the soup smooth. The herbs will not completely blend and that's fine, but make sure the soup is a nice smooth consistency. You can also do this step with either a food processor or a regular blender, just do so in batches, and watch the lid as hot liquids tend to expand and have a tendency to " blow the top off" when you are blending. add the Cream, and pulse again till really blended well. Season with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!

This soup is delightfully light and delicous either hot or chilled. Best the next day when all the flavors blend together.

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

A Saucy Wench

24 squash in my basket this week. Have been promised 24 squash every week for the indefinite future. I can't wait to try the soup.  I have everything on hand except the parsley...hmmmm. 

MTA: made the above soup with bacon grease instead of olive oil (but I probably only used 3T or so - I didnt really measure) since I wasnt using cream.  I used plain unsweetened almond milk instead of the cream and it was really good.  Well for all of us except the dd.

MTA2: This soup (with almond milk) freezes phenomenally well which is more than you can say for most squash recipes.  I plan on filling my freezer with it this August and september.  Also excellent with a few meatballs tossed in ala italian wedding soup.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7