A-Z Recipes

Soups and Such (Read 1051 times)

Wow, I have always wondered about using Almond Milk for heated applications, I have not ever tried it....mainly because I am addicted to the full fattiness of heavy cream..... I also think it would make a difference on the brand? I prefer Silk Almond milk to Almond Breeze, it seems creamier and more satisfying..... what are your thoughts Ennay?

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

A Saucy Wench

Wow, I have always wondered about using Almond Milk for heated applications, I have not ever tried it....mainly because I am addicted to the full fattiness of heavy cream..... I also think it would make a difference on the brand? I prefer Silk Almond milk to Almond Breeze, it seems creamier and more satisfying..... what are your thoughts Ennay?

I havent tried Silk mainly because the only one they have in my store is sweetened - not as much as sweetened Almond breeze, but still I think the flavor would be off for savory dishes. 

I find the creaminess of Almond milk in recipes really good.  Not heavy cream but like i said, when I used bacon grease instead of olive oil the flavor from that in combo is creamy enough for me.  (I dont have a high fat tolerance though.  I have never really liked cream soup and for my own cooking used milk for most cream in soups ).  Unsweetened Original in any savory dish, unsweetened vanilla in desserty dishes.

I made a flan over the holidays with Almond milk - my normal flan recipe uses a can of evaporated and a can of condensed AND heavy cream so that one was more tricky, I reduced it slowly and found it easier to work with than dairy milk - it still scalded on the bottom but it didnt grain up.  I baked it longer and it was still a softer product and less rich than dairy, but I think a lot of that was also because the fat content was way down.  Flavor wise though it was spot on and tasted a lot more like the egg custard my mom used to make which used regular milk instead of condensed/evaporated or cream.

The squash soup only uses a small amount of cream, but I also made a corn chowder this summer using all almond breeze - and that is a soup that uses no broth or water, only milk or cream - and I was really impressed.  Again, probably not as rich as heavy cream, but very comparable to whole milk.  It grains a bit more than milk when heated gently but stands up better to (accidentally) boiling, freezing and microwaving than dairy.  The corn chowder calls for simmering the cobs in milk and it is almost impossible to not boil.

MTA: - the other thing I have done when cooking for myself is use MOSTLY almond milk and then finish with a splash of cream.  I can handle dairy in small quantities.  I have 2 close friends I make dinner for often who can do zero dairy and I've been really pleased with the converted recipes.  MUCH better than soy or rice - virtually undetectable to the taste buds although occasionally the aroma is a bit different

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Awesome! I will have to try that then.... and Post that Flan Recipe and the Corn Chowder as well! I LOVE a good flan, and that one sounds wonderful!

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

A Saucy Wench

I think this is the corn chowder recipe I use...or pretty close.  I lost a lot of links when I switched computers

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7