A-Z Recipes

Breakfast stuff (Read 949 times)

here please! Smile
    nemo1

This is going to sound weird, but it's good and I'm not sure what it's called: Open faced Fried Egg and Marinara Sandwich (it's good for a light breakfast or brunch) 1 slice of French or Italian bread (I've also used wheat with good results) 1 egg Marinara Sauce Parmesan cheese - grated 1 tbs oil (veggie or olive) Toast bread, set aside. Heat frying pan and add 1tbs oil. Fry egg to your taste (I like mine over easy). Drain the marinara sauce so that it is a little chunkier. Spread the marinara sauce over the toast, add the egg, and top with a little Parmesan cheese. Enjoy. Smile
      nemo1

Einstein Bros. Bagels (yes, they really taste like them) Plain 1 cup very warm water (110 – 115 degrees, not steaming) ½ tablespoon yeast 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon light corn syrup 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon molasses ½ teaspoon vegetable oil 1 teaspoon salt 2 cups bread flour (plus about 2/3 cup to incorporate while kneading) 1 ½ tablespoons sugar (for water bath) cornmeal (for dusting) Directions: 1. Combine the warm water and yeast in a medium bowl and stir until the yeast is dissolved. Be sure the water is not too hot, or it may kill the yeast. 2. Add the corn syrup, molasses, and oil to the bowl and stir thoroughly. Add the salt. 3. Pour the 2 cups of bread flour into the bowl and incorporate it with the other ingredients. 4. Sprinkle a little of the reserved flour over the dough in the bowl and turn it out onto a surface that has been dusted with more of the reserved flour. Knead the dough, while working in the remaining reserved flour (depending on your climate you may not have to use all of the reserved flour, but you will surely use most of it). The dough should become very smooth and elastic, dry to the touch, and not tacky. You will have to knead for 6 or 7 minutes to get the right consistency. 5. Put the dough back into the bowl or another container, cover, and let it rise in a warm place for 30 to 40 minutes. The dough should double in size. 6. Punch down the dough and cut it into 4 even portions. Working with one portion of the dough at a time, form the dough into a ball. Turn the edge of the dough inward with your fingers while punching a hole in the center with your thumbs. Work the dough in a circle while stretching it out and enlarging the center hole, so that it looks like a doughnut. The hole should be between 1 and 1 ½ inches in diameter. Place the 4 portions of shaped dough onto a greased board or baking sheet, cover (a clean towel works well) and allow the dough to rise for 20 to 30 minutes. The dough should nearly double in size. 7. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees 8. Fill a medium saucepan 2/3 full of water and bring it to a boil. Add 1 ½ tablespoons of sugar to the water. 9. Working with one bagel at a time, first enlarge the hole if it has closed up to less than ¾ of an inch. Be careful not to overwork the dough at this point or it won’t have the proper consistency. Drop the bagel into the water, cover the saucepan, and boil for 20 seconds. Flip the bagel and boil for another 20 seconds. Immediately take the bagel out of the water with a slotted spoon, let the water drip off for about 10 seconds, then place the bagel onto a baking sheet that has been dusted with cornmeal. Repeat for the remaining bagels. Be sure the bagels do not touch each other. 10. Bake the bagels for 26 to 30 minutes, or until they are light brown (check after 10 minutes) Makes 4 bagels. Variations: Cinnamon Sugar: Add 2 tablespoons superfine sugar 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon Mix together and after the bagels have boiled, sprinkle over the bagels. Bake as usual. Jalapeño: 1/3 cup canned jalapeño slices (nacho slices) 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes Directions: 1. Finely mince the jalapeño slices, then combine with the pepper flakes in a small bowl and set aside. 2. Follow all of the steps for the plain bagels, adding the jalapeño mixture to the dough in step 2. 3. Rise and bake using the same steps for the plain bagels. Chopped onion: Dry minced onion Directions: Add dry minced onion after boiling the bagels, but before baking. Once covered as desired, continue baking as normal. Some onions may burn, but they can easily be brushed off before eating.
        nemo1

Cinnabon Cinnamon Rolls Rolls 3 Tbs yeast 1 cup warm fat-free milk (105 to 110 degrees) ½ cup sugar ¼ cup butter 6 tablespoons egg substitute 1 teaspoon salt 4 cups all-purpose flour Filling 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed 1/3 cup Wondra flour (fast rising flour) 2 ½ tablespoons cinnamon ½ cup fat-free butter substitute Icing 1 8-ounce package fat-free cream cheese 1 ½ cups powdered sugar 1 tsp artificial butter flavoring ½ tsp vanilla 1/8 teaspoon salt Directions: 1. Make the rolls by dissolving the yeast in the warm milk in a large bowl. Add the sugar and let the mixture sit for five minutes. 2. Melt the butter in the microwave or in a saucepan over low heat add it to the mixture in the large bowl. 3. Add the egg substitute, salt, and flour to the large bowl, mix to incorporate the ingredients, and then use flour-dusted hands to knead the dough into a large ball. Put the dough back into the bowl, cover it, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, or until it has doubled in size. 4. Make the filling by combining the brown sugar, Wondra flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees (350 for glass pans). 5. Roll the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough into a flat rectangle until it is approximately 21 inches long and 16 inches wide. It should be about ¼ -inch thick. 6. Spread ½ cup of the butter-flavored spread over the surface of the dough. Sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon mixture over the spread. 7. Working from top (a 21-inch side), roll the dough down to the bottom edge. 8. Cut the rolled dough into 1 ¾ -inch slices and place 6, evenly spaced, into each of two 9 x 13-inch lightly greased baking pans. Cover the baking pans and let the rolls rise for another 45 to 60 minutes, then bake for 15 to 22 minutes or until the rolls are light brown on top. 9. While the rolls bake, combine the icing ingredients in a medium bowl and beat well with an electric mixer at high speed until smooth and creamy. 10. Cool the rolls for 3 to 5 minutes after removing them from the oven, then spread icing over the top of each one.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think Sara is trying to fatten me up with the recipes she posts! Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

nemo1

Hey! They're the "low fat" Cinnabon rolls - it says so in the recipe. Big grin
                Cinnabon Cinnamon Rolls
                Go Sara! Big grin You're kickin' the recipes out!! This one reminds me of a site that I visit once in awhile. They have daily "copy cat" recipes from well known restaurants/ eateries. Copykat I love it!!
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Oatmeal Pancakes Great running fuel. 1 1/2 cup flour 1 cup plain yogurt 1 cup milk 3 TBS sugar 1 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp baking soda 1/2 tsp salt 3 TBS melted butter 2 eggs 1 TBS vanilla 1 cup cooked oatmeal (steel cut Irish is best) Mix everything together. Make pancakes. Enjoy.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oatmeal Pancakes
                    Hmmm...and I even have steel cut oats... Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

nemo1

Go Sara! Big grin You're kickin' the recipes out!! This one reminds me of a site that I visit once in awhile. They have daily "copy cat" recipes from well known restaurants/ eateries. Copykat I love it!!
                      Actually, this one and the Einstein Bros bagels comes from one of those copycat books (I don't remember which one), but the point of this book was to make them less fattening. At least that was the goal for the cinnamon rolls, I don't remember if the two recipes were in the same book. We have nearly the whole series. I just posted my two favorites. And, as far as kickin' the recipes out, I copy any recipe I really like to have onto my computer. I have it divided into things I love, and things I want to try. I'm paranoid about losing a good recipe book. Eventually, I'll have everything on my computer that tastes good, and not just the things I love. But, I like to cook so I'm starting with the love recipes first. Smile
                        Actually, this one and the Einstein Bros bagels comes from one of those copycat books (I don't remember which one), but the point of this book was to make them less fattening. And, as far as kickin' the recipes out, I copy any recipe I really like to have onto my computer.
                        I didn't know they had Copycat books, but I'm not surprised! Love trying those recipes! Lower fat is even better! You're like I used to be- I was saving my recipes/ copying them onto the computer. I started doing that, then we moved here and only have dial-up, so now I don't use my laptop in the kitchen anymore and I'm back to just books; either that or from print-outs off the computer! I really miss the days where we had high speed and I'd just search for a recipe then go off the computer! That was slick. Smile
                          TURKEY APPLE BREAKFAST PATTY This breakfast treat made from turkey and apple is a delicious alternative to traditional breakfast meats and a lot better for you, too. Turkey delivers a lot less saturated fat than ground beef. Also, an apple a day may keep more than just the doctor away--apples contain phytochemicals that help prevent cancer. The spices in this sausage boost flavor and keep the sodium count low! 1 lb lean ground turkey breast or ground turkey 1/2 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and diced 1 lg garlic clove, minced 1 tsp dried sage 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 tsp dried thyme 1/2 tsp ground fennel 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional) 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper 1/8 tsp ground coriander In a large bowl, combine all ingredients, mixing well. Form into 8 patties. On a lightly sprayed nonstick indoor grill pan, grill over medium heat 5-7 minutes per side or until completely cooked. Per serving: 68 calories, <1 g="" total="" fat="" (0="" g="" saturated),="" 1="" g="" carb,="" 14="" g="" protein,=""></1><1 g dietary fiber, 173 mg sodium *i didn't have fennel and it turned out fine, used a whole apple, only half of the red pepper and cooked on our george foreman grill! g="" dietary="" fiber,="" 173="" mg="" sodium="" *i="" didn't="" have="" fennel="" and="" it="" turned="" out="" fine,="" used="" a="" whole="" apple,="" only="" half="" of="" the="" red="" pepper="" and="" cooked="" on="" our="" george="" foreman="" grill!=""></1 g dietary fiber, 173 mg sodium *i didn't have fennel and it turned out fine, used a whole apple, only half of the red pepper and cooked on our george foreman grill! >
                            oatmeal (steel cut Irish is best)
                            Mmmmmm.....just tried the steel cut for the first time. Delicious!
                            t_runner

Oatmeal Pancakes
                              I love these pancakes, they are now a staple in my post-run weekend breakfast! Anybody know how to convert a recipe like this into waffles? Just got a waffle-maker for Christmas Big grin
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Eating some right now Wink I'll think on the waffle version. Thanks!! T