A-Z Recipes

Flan (Read 153 times)

A Saucy Wench

It didnt seem we had a dedicated desserts thread. 

I make this one a lot.  I bring it to parties.  People are seriously impressed because they think its really hard.  It isnt.  It is a little time consuming, but not hard.  And it is RICH.

Caramel Sauce - if you have never carmelized sugar follow these instructions for caramelizing and coating a 8-9 round deep baking dish (I use a pyrex round casserole.  You can also use individual ramekins but you'll have to figure the baking time for that.  Baking instructions are given for a single large flan.

Preheat oven to 350 and place a large roasting pan with ~ 1" hot water in the middle rack of the oven.  Have a large kettle of hot water on hand. - (the first time you try this you may want to place the baking dish in the roasting pan to see exactly how far you can fill it without it going over - fill it a little less than that)

Flan:

1 can sweetened condensed milk (full fat or skim makes NO difference)

1 can evaporated milk  (")

2T vanilla extract.

4 whole eggs

4 egg yolks  (again...ehhhh if you end up with 5 and 3 or only have 6 eggs to work with or whatever...it will still work. It's really a matter of richness)

1 cup half and half or cream (again not much difference)

Mix condensed , evaporated milk and  vanilla extract until the condensed milk is well mixed.  Beat eggs and egg yolks in gently.  Add cream and stir to mix.  You can do this all in one bowl with a fork.  Pour into prepared baking dish.  Place into waterbath and top off water in bath if needed - water should be as high up the custard level as possible without risking spilling over.  It is ok if it is slightly under the custard level, it will provide a more solid base.

Bake 80-90 minutes.  Knife inserted should still be fairly moist and custardy, but not totally liquid. 

Remove from waterbath and allow to cool on rack for a bit.  Refrigerate overnight.  Or if desperate at least 6 hours.   Run knife around edge and invert on to serving dish.  You do NOT have to heat the baking dish to release the caramel, the custard liquefies it. Garnish with berries if desired

Darn I thought I had a photo of one I made last year that was stunningly beautiful

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

MUST.TRY.SOON

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

RunsForCake

Any time a can of sweetened condensed milk is involved with a recipe you know it is going to be good.

A Saucy Wench

I've made this a bunch.  It never fails to wow the crowd.  So.  easy.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7