A-Z Recipes

Squash: one last chance (Read 912 times)

Dang! I am so late to this party!!! my bad......

Yes, My Sous Chef Ennay is correct, you oven roast the squash along with the garlic left in the skins on a DRY sheet pan ( no water necessary ) then scoop it out of the skins, de-skin the garlic and commence the soup part......

I just made the soup and it was DIVINE!!!!  I didn't have any fresh herbs other than ginger so I just used grated ginger then a little cumin, curry, & corriander powders, salt, pepper...it was perfect!!!!!

A Saucy Wench

I heard the east coast didnt have good pumpkin weather.  We are having great pumpkin weather, but it is still very early for us.  I have 3 sugar pie pumpkins ready to be cooked.  dd wants pumpkin pie so I think I'll make a crustless pie this weekend.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

FREAK.

It's almost time for the Infamous Trent Pumpkin Pies isn't it?

Yep.  Soon.

Several handfuls of cushaw went to making pumpkin dumplings, boiled then sauteed.  Served under tomato/eggplant/radish green/bell pepper sauce.  Yummy. 

The pies will come.

Ennay, our pumpkins seem to be great so far.

A Saucy Wench

I think the weather mainly affected the mass generic pumpkins designated for Jackolantern land and canned pumpkin.  Northeast I believe.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah.  Who cares about that tripe.

My 30-40 lbs of pumpkins cooked down to about 2 gallons of pumpkin meat.

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

My local grocery store told me they can't get canned pumpkin now.  No big deal to me - I can't stand the stuff, but my DH is addicted to my pumpkin walnut chocolate chip bread.  I think he may need therapy if I can't get the pumpkin this year.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Can you get real pumpkins or winter squash?  If so, it is very easy to convert them into the stuff that comes in the cans, and the taste is substantially better.  The easiest way is simply to cut them in half, scoop out the seeds and bake cut side up or down @ 500 degrees f for an hour or so.  Then once it has cooled, scoop out the meat from the papery skin.  You may need to puree it.  But the whole thing is really easy to do.  You or your husband will never go back to cans.
                jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

I know you won't understand this, since you are known for your pies, but the smell alone makes me want to gag.  No way I'm starting with a pumpkin.  I had the exhaust fan on for 2 hours yesterday to make sure I didn't stink up the house with that stuff!
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Heh.

The canned stuff tastes nothing like the real thing.  The smell ain't much the same either.  You may find the real thing far less offensive.

Wait.  Is it the spice or the pumpkin that offends your smell?

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

It's the pumpkin.  In fact, at a very early age I refused to carve pumpkins for Halloween.  Couldn't stand it.

A Saucy Wench

Maybe try a butternut squash instead.

Yeah, good thing I didnt pick pumpkin soup for the food coop this month, canned pumpkin is a bit hard to come by.

why is the canned pumpkin hard to get?

???? clueless over here.....

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

pumpkin walnut chocolate chip bread 

recipe for this?

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

A Saucy Wench

why is the canned pumpkin hard to get?

???? clueless over here.....

This is what was in my CSA newsletter this week:

"Pumpkin shortage? That is what the news headline said. It got our attention right away, so we looked into it further. Sure enough, the wet, cold weather suffered by the northeast (where the majority of all canned pumpkin is produced) this past summer not only wiped out tomato and pepper crops, but also took its toll on pie pumpkins. Cool, damp weather causes many diseases in the squash family, including powdery mildew. We always see mildew about this time of the year in our fields, but if it comes on before the squash and pumpkins are fully developed it causes the fruit to rot on the vine. According to news sources, the squash that is generally grown for canned pumpkin pie filling was a total loss, and the only canned pumpkin left for holiday baking is left from last season and in short supply. I noticed over the weekend that there is still canned pumpkin here locally, but shelves on the east coast are empty and folks are panicking! No pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving!"

We do have one local producer of canned pumpkin out here, but Libbylibbylibby is struggling to fill orders. My crazy CSA will provide me more pumpkins than I know what to do with  

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

recipe for this?

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/AtoZRecipes/Forum/Post/6a84c7fde177495caaec4f9a22925a6d#focus