A-Z Recipes

Pork Tenderloin (Read 353 times)

Ok, I just stumbled across this group and figured I would throw a recipe out there. I will eat some type of pork tenderloin about twice per week instead of chicken. The tenderloin is actually very similar nutritionally to a chicken breast. It has roughly the same fat and cholesterol with nearly twice the protein. So, obviously, I am always looking for new recipes. This one is a personal favorite. It takes about 30 minutes from start to finish and is restaurant quality when done properly. The one caveat here is that you need a stainless skillet or at least a skillet with a metal handle as you need to go from burner to oven and you can't do that w/ a plastic handle. I guess I'm saying you need an oven safe skillet. Ingredients: 1 Pork tenderloin 1 Clove garlic Salt Pepper ( I prefer white pepper for dishes such as this ) Cumin Shiraz or other wine ( most people prefer a white wine when cooking with pork, but the tenderloin takes flavor so well that a shiraz actually gives it a bold flavor without over-powering it. ) Olive Oil 3/4 cup chicken broth or chicken stock The Recipe: Start by heating the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. I have an electric stove so I end up setting it somewhere around #4. You don't need a ton of oil but you do need to coat the bottom thoroughly. Preheat oven to 400F. While the oil is heating slice the garlic into a dozen or so thin slivers. Take the tenderloin ( it's kind of tube shaped if you are unfamiliar with them ) and cut thin slits into it at regular intervals. Be sure to turn it so that the slits are randomly spaced on all sides. You'll need to cut as many slits as you have slivers of garlic. Stuff a sliver of garlic into each slit. Season all sides of the tenderloin with salt ( sea salt if you have it ), pepper, and cumin. Place the tenderloin in the skillet and brown all four sides. The tenderloin is always a little lopsided with two of the sides being broader than the other two. My rule of thumb is three minutes each on the broader sides and two minutes each on the narrow sides. If it is really round go 2.5 minutes per side. At this point your skillet will look like hell and you will be thinking that it will never come clean. Don't worry, it actually cleans up very easily. Add in the 3/4 cup chicken broth and another 3/4 cup of the shiraz or other wine and place directly in the pre-heated oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, spoon the wine / stock sauce over the tenderloin and cover immediately. Allow it to sit, covered, for another ten minutes. Cut into medallions and serve immediately.
    And who am I anyway?
    Just another fat jogger, evidently.
      This sounds good! Thanks for the recipe and welcome to the group anutherfinemess. (Great timing too! I might have to change my pulled pork to this recipe for the week! Smile)
        Thanks for the welcome. That was probably the most mainstream recipe that I have for a tenderloin. I cook a lot of cajun stuff and I have a few killer recipes including one that uses tenderloin in a gumbo. Cajun food isn't everyone's taste, though. Besides, gumbo is a pain to make. lol.
        And who am I anyway?
        Just another fat jogger, evidently.
          Yum this sounds so good.  I think I'll have to give this recipe a try.