A-Z Recipes

Pumpkins (Read 804 times)

Wow, Pumpkin Butter sounds so tasty! post your recipe? that is if you haven't already.....

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Recipe?  Whassat?

A couple of small heirloom pumpkins, roasted.  A bunch of chopped apples (golden delicious, rome, stayman winesaps).  Apple cider to increase the liquid.  (Many recipes call for sugar too, but I did not add any given the sweetness of the cider and the pumpkins.)  Puree together and simmer for hours, stirring frequently and keeping mostly covered to stop splattering.  When it was super thick and tasty, add in pumpkin pie spice mix (my usual homemade mix) and put in jars.  It is all in the pressure cooker now sealing the jars.

A Saucy Wench

So what about all this stuff that they do not recommend canning pumpkin or pumpkin butter anymore. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

So what about all this stuff that they do not recommend canning pumpkin or pumpkin butter anymore. 

My guess would be because there is not enough acid to deter bacterial growth, making for shorter shelf life? dunno.....

A Saucy Wench

My guess would be because there is not enough acid to deter bacterial growth, making for shorter shelf life? dunno.....

not shorter shelf life but botulism and other bacteria is the issue I believe. Also because pumpkin is so thick.

I could probably freeze pumpkin butter...if I had any freezer space left.   I am planning on roasting a bunch of different flavored pumpkin seeds for Xmas gifts. 

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Inadequate acid, too much variability in what is classified as "pumpkin butter" and an odd viscosity makes it impossible to give clear and consistent guidelines for safe canning. 

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/uga/pumpkin_butter.html

Sockoni, how did it go?

Apple/pumpkin butter going down in the kitchen right now! 

Mmmm....apple pumpkin butter really does sound good! 

Well, the muffins are absolutely wonderful!  Thanks for the recipe Sandy!  I only made 1 batch to make sure they'd turn out as this was my first time making them gluten free, and I have to substitute for the buttermilk and eggs as it is.  I snuck some mini chocolate chips into the muffins too.  I have a bunch of pumpkin leftover, so I'm probably going to make a double batch of these and then either freeze the rest of the pumpkin or if I have time, make a couple of pies and/or try that apple/pumpkin butter. 

Now for your viewing pleasure and because I'm totally pooped just vegging infront of the puter....

Here's an apple orchard that we visited last week for my son's (on the left) field trip.  There are some really gorgeous views there.  We each got to fill a bag of golden and/or red delicious apples.

They also grow a bunch of other goodies, which they sell in their store.  Trent, when I saw these crates, they screamed your name!   (Of course, I was a rebel and used a carving pumpkin for my muffins.  I've still got my butternut squash and added to it from the 3rd crate down.)

Inside the store...heaven.  Even if you weren't hungry beforehand, you would be when you walked in.  Lots of fresh produce, baked goods, canned goods, country crafts and scents.  Apples anyone?

And finally, the muffins!  I also made some tiny ones for the kids to pop into their mouths and they loved them; just something fun.

This was also the first time I've made pumpkin seeds.  Realllllllllly good!!!  I actually just threw the recipe ingredients together and then realized I didn't have as many seeds as it called for.  Did it anyway.  They turned out great!

And as long as I'm posting, here's the bread I made tonight too.  Yum!

Goodnight! 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Party at Sockoni's place!!

I hope you bought some of them winter squash Big grin

awwww Joni, those are GREAT Pictures! I just love this time of the year, and all those squash and pumpkins! the little store looks grand also......

So glad you enjoyed the recipe! they are a new Favorite around here these days. The nice thing about making your own pumpkin is that it freezes really well, and you can enjoy these for many months to come!

What a great way to start my day....... I am off to Connecticut for Business for a few days, I am sure it will be delightful up there as well...... Take Care all!

Party at Sockoni's place!!

I hope you bought some of them winter squash Big grin

Yes, but we're planning on going back, so I'll be buying more.  Plus, I want to stock up on apples.  My FIL makes applesauce often and I'd like to give it a try.  It looks super easy. 

Has anyone ever frozen pumpkin seeds to bake later?  Just wondered if they would taste as good.

HOSS1961

My FIL (may he RIP) was a grand gardener and I miss him lots.  He grew winesaps simply for cider which he pressed on his homemade contraption.  It was great.  He was an old country guy and would put some "away" for later and Christmas would come and presto...some really good cider .
                        HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured
                          My FIL (may he RIP) was a grand gardener and I miss him lots.  He grew winesaps simply for cider which he pressed on his homemade contraption.  It was great.  He was an old country guy and would put some "away" for later and Christmas would come and presto...some really good cider .

What a wonderful memory to have......

gives ya the warm fuzzies!

Pumpkin Kugel

12oz wholegrain egg noodles

4oz Light Creme Cheese

1 cup light sour cream

1 cup pumpkin puree

1 1/2 cups toasted pumpkin seeds divided

2 eggs

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup milk

1t salt

1/2t cinnamon

1/2c crushed cornflakes

2T melted butter

Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 11x7 baking dish with cooking spray, or butter

cook noodles to package direction, drain and transfer to a large bowl

combine the cheese, sour cream, pumpkin puree 3/4 cup of the pumpkin seeds, the eggs, 1/4 cup of the sugar, the milk, salt and cinnamon in a bowl. Add the noodles, and stir to combine well. Transfer to the greased baking dish.

Combine the remaining sugar, pumpkin seeds, and cornflakes and layer over the top. Coat some foil with oil or cooking spray, cover and bake for 30-35 minutes until heated through. Uncover, and bake 5 minutes longer till the top is browned and crispy.

A Saucy Wench

I was roasting 3 big pumpkins today (because once that oven is hot, you might as well fill it up right?) and was also making chicken stock at the same time so I tossed the stringy center scrapings into the stock pot.  What a pretty color my stock is. Looks extra chickeny because it has that yellow color that only campbells has.

I havent decided what to do with the pumpkin yet.  Soup with the stock, and I promised dd pumpkin pie filling - after that I guess I will freeze it for later.  If I had time I would bake one of the recipes on here for a potluck brunch I am going to in the morning.

A Saucy Wench

OK, a cross between Trent's bread and Cheffy's muffins is in the oven.  I made pumpkin custard yesterday but found the spice somewhat overwhelming.  I didnt strain the pumpkin so it was probably a little less concentrated and got overwhelmed by the spice.