A-Z Recipes

Gardens! (Read 256 times)

Jazz hands!

Hey there foodies. This year is my first year of Grownup Living that I think I'll be able to grow a few things for eating. Last year my apartment didn't have a balcony, and I tried to grow a tomato plant and a pepper plant but 3 hours of afternoon sun wasn't cutting it. This year, I've got a balcony that gets morning and some early afternoon sun, so I'm not sure if I can grow tomatos (my greatest dream) or not, so does anyone have any advice? Any veggies that grow well in pots on somewhat limited sunlight? I'm also thinking of growing herbs (probably oregano and basil), though my last basil died thanks to an infestation of damn spider mites. Anyone got a way to get of those beasts? (I live in SoCal so I can pretty much plant whenever. No frost worries Big grin)
    run run run AHHHHHH run run run
      I'm actually planning on trying to grow some melons on my balcony this summer, but I'm not optimistic. lol. One thing I can strongly recommend, though it's not a typical veggie, is Nasturtium. It's actually a flowering plant that grows very well in pots, is really pretty, is very hardy, and is really tasty. Both the leaves and the flowers are edible and very high in vitamin C. They have kind of a peppery taste that really picks up a salad or even a burger. I know that I had three or four big planters of them last year and I'll probably duplicate that again this year.
      And who am I anyway?
      Just another fat jogger, evidently.

Jazz hands!

I think I've eaten Nasturtium! My dad recommended spinach or lettuce, so I think I'll plant that, a basil, and just give a tomato plant a shot this year. I've got a lavender plant that's doing great (you barely have to remember to water them).
        run run run AHHHHHH run run run