A-Z Recipes

Pumpkins (Read 804 times)

Jazz hands!

Heh.  No really.  I have never had a pumpkin pie hater dislike mine.  And I have tried.

I don't really dislike it, I just don't like it. Trust me, the easiest way to get more pumpkin pie than you can possibly eat every autumn is to casually mention that you don't really like pumpkin pie, because then every single person who know who's ever turned on an oven is convinced you just haven't tried THEIRS. And you know what? They all have that vital essence of pumpkin to them that I find so uninteresting.

So Trent, I believe you that you make good pumpkin pie.

run run run AHHHHHH run run run
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nobody can taste pumpkin.  That is why we have the spices Smile

Jazz hands!

Gingerbread Cookies / Pumpkin Pie Crust -3 cups (420 grams) all purpose flour -1/4 teaspoons salt -3/4 teaspoon baking soda -2 teaspoons ground ginger -1 teaspoon ground cinnamon -1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg -1/4 teaspoon ground cloves -1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature -1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated white sugar -1 large egg -2/3 cup (160 ml) unsulphured molasses In a large bowl, sift or whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, and spices. Set aside. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and molasses and beat until well combined. Gradually add the flour mixture beating until incorporated. Divide the dough in half, and wrap each half in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a thickness of about 1/4 inch. Use a gingerbread cutter to cut out the cookies. With an offset spatula lift the cut out cookies onto the baking sheet, placing the cookies about 1 inch (2.54 cm) apart. If you are hanging the cookies or using as gift tags, make a hole at the top of the cookies with a straw or end of a wooden skewer. Bake for about 8 - 12 minutes depending on the size of the cookies. Small ones will take about 8 minutes, larger cookies will take about 12 minutes. They are done when they are firm and the edges are just beginning to brown. Remove the cookies from the oven and cool on the baking sheet for about 1 minutes. When they are firm enough to move, transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. If you are using for pie crust, roll out and line pie tins. Add filling. Wrap a ring of foil around and covering the crust. Bake according to pie recipe. Remove foil for last 10-15 minutes of baking.

Ever used this for apple pie crust? I'm thinking about it--sounds delicious on one hand, sounds like it might overwhelm the apple on the other...

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have not.  There is, of course, no risk in experimenting Smile

A Saucy Wench

The monkey pies were excellent

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Jazz hands!

Since i've taken much and given nothing, here's my recipe for pumpkin cookies w/cream cheese frosting. They are fantastic; I took some to work today and they were gone by 10am.

1 stick butter

3/4 c sugar

3/4 c brown sugar

1 egg

1 tsp vanilla

1 tsp fresh grated ginger*

1 cup pumpkin puree

2 cups flour (I use half regular, half whole wheat, adds a nice texture)

3/4 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp cinnamon*

1/2 tsp nutmeg*

some ground cloves*

some allspice*

a little ground pepper*

some citrus zest*

*use the amount that appeals to you here. For most of these, for me, that amount is "a lot."

Cream butter and sugar, then mix in egg, vanilla, pumpkin and ginger. Mix dry ingredients together, then add to butter / sugar mix. You know... make cookies.

I accidentally discovered that these are good when baked right away (for about 18 mins in a 350 degree oven, by the way), but AMAZING when baked after being left in the fridge overnight.

cream cheese frosting:

4 oz cream cheese

4 oz butter

1 tsp vanilla

1 tsp cream / half & half / milk

1 cup confectioner's sugar

Mix cream cheese and butter, mix in vanilla & milk, add sugar. Spread on cookies. Enjoy the praise of others.

Candied ginger chunks in the cookie batter would probably be delicious as well.

purpleprincess

The monkey pies were excellent

+1     I ended up asking Trent to make sure  I was trying the right pumpkin pie  Big grin   

A Saucy Wench

hmmmm... baking pie right now and trying Trent's crust. 

Do you really roll that stuff out?  It was way too sticky even after fridging for a couple hours so I ended up just pressing it in to the pan.  It may not come out.  It seems more cake like than trents was. The place I am going they hate changing anything so I hope they dont mind the different crust.

The apple pie is waiting impatiently for the pumpkin to come out so it can go in.  The pumpkin doesnt seem to want to cook. I think my oven runs on the cool side.

MTA: also, the gingerbread rises so I am glad I didnt overfill my pie...but it did take care of the nasty burn ring that happens when you slosh the pie filling on the way to the oven. 

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, I do roll it out, but I agree.  Sticky sticky sticky.  Loads of flour, or even sugar, to keep it from sticking.  You can also roll it between layers of parchment paper.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread (I had some leftover cushaw, and this is just yummy!)

- 1 3/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
                       - 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, home mixed if possible
                       - 1 teaspoon baking soda
                       - 1 teaspoon baking powder
                       - 3/4 teaspoon salt
                       - 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
                       - 1 1/4 cups sugar
                       - 3 large eggs
                       - 1 1/2 cups pureed pumpkin or winter squash
                       - 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
                       - 1/3 cup whole milk
                       - 3/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
                       - 3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a loaf pan. Sift first 5 ingredients into medium bowl. Beat butter in large bowl until smooth. Gradually beat in sugar, then beat in eggs 1 at a time. Beat in pumpkin and vanilla. Beat dry ingredients into pumpkin mixture alternately with milk. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts. OR: just mix it all together after having melted the butter on the stovetop. Transfer batter to prepared pan.

Bake loaf cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Cool in pan on rack 15 minutes. Turn cake out onto rack; cool completely.

A Saucy Wench

bump