A-Z Recipes

Brown Koshihikari (Read 311 times)

skinnycaponesugar

I like brown rice, however its cooking time bores me to tears! I bought brown rice cereal for my baby and even that takes a whole hour. I mean, what? for a couple of table spoons worth?!! ...anyway, I've found a delicious brown rice at our local (20 min drive) wholefoods store. It is called Koshir, koshirik, koshihikari Shocked. Hard to spell but not so hard to cook, it is a short grain rice, slightly sweet, moist and with just a bit of crunch. If you can get it where you are, it's worth a try, yum, let me know what you think Smile

Love, Run, Sleep

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I love cooking things from scratch and slaving away in the kitchen over pots. Really. But even more, I love my rice cooker. I put brown rice and water in it in the morning. Press the timer button and come home to perfectly cooked brown rice. Worth. Every. Penny.
        Perfect Brown Rice: 1 Cup Brown rice 2 1/2 cups Water 1 tablespoon Butter or Olive Oil combine all ingredients in a deep casserole dish. seal tightly with foil Bake 375 1 hour Un-disturbed Awesome, flaky soft rice every single time..... You have a whole hour to cook the rest of your meal, or go for a quick run.... Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Good point Cheffy. You could also use a cast iron dutch oven with a heavy lid instead of the foil.
            True Trent! You know us Southern Folks have us some cast iron! I have lots of heirloom pcs that were passed on to us by DH's family that have passed on. Of all the cast Iron I DO have, a Dutch oven is not one of them!! Confused Will be looking for one at an estate sale or flea market! Smile

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You can buy online directly from Lodge and the prices ain't bad. The "dutch oven" I have is actually what they call a "chicken fryer". We don't bring chicken or meat into the home, but do love this piece. We cook loads of grains and stews in it. This one, though, is a bit pricey. Here it is at Lodge. I think we got it as a wedding gift Big grin

skinnycaponesugar

What's the difference between a Dutch and a French oven?

Love, Run, Sleep

skinnycaponesugar

I love cooking things from scratch and slaving away in the kitchen over pots. Really. But even more, I love my rice cooker. I put brown rice and water in it in the morning. Press the timer button and come home to perfectly cooked brown rice. Worth. Every. Penny.
                  I have a rice cooker that is worth every 2300 cents I paid for it, but it only has one COOK/WARM button. What other controls does your have? I normally only make brown rice on weekends when I have a bit more time. I too love cooking from scratch, but these days, with kids and all, I pick things that only take me about an hour, tops! Thanks for the tip Cheffy, do you put the Dutch/French oven in the oven or on the stove top?

Love, Run, Sleep

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

French ovens are like dutch ovens but are enameled. The enamel makes them prettier, more expensive and harder to keep clean. Here is the rice cooker I have, a Zonjirushi brand induction heating rice cooker: This too was a gift and is a bit of a higher end model, but we use it all the time. Click This is the best brand and they make less expensive models that work great and have different controls for type of rice, how you want it to turn out and timers.
                      French ovens are like dutch ovens but are enameled. The enamel makes them prettier, more expensive and harder to keep clean. Here is the rice cooker I have, a Zonjirushi brand induction heating rice cooker: This too was a gift and is a bit of a higher end model, but we use it all the time. Click This is the best brand and they make less expensive models that work great and have different controls for type of rice, how you want it to turn out and timers.
                      Anything by Zonjirushi Get's this Chef's Seal of Approval..... Yes They make fabulous products across the board..... As for the French Ovens, I have a few, My LeCrueset is great, and EASY to clean, but the downside is that the enamel will discolor over time due to heat, and they tend to chip very easily... -RCR

skinnycaponesugar

HOLY MACKAREL!! Shocked the melody signal...is it played by a live orchestra?! your rice cooker is more expensive than my pretty enameled French oven, that really... isn't so hard to clean Wink . But I must admit, next time I get married I'll put it on my registry...don't tell my husband though Clowning around

Love, Run, Sleep