A-Z Recipes

Dried beans? (Read 466 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

No, plain old cast iron is the best. Get one of these. The enameled cast iron makes it a bear to clean and you lose all benefit of cooking in iron (i.e., the natural nonstick properties, the ease of cleaning and the slow addition of iron into your foods). The real thing is also best for heat conduction, heat retention and baking. And Lodge is far far cheaper than Le Creuset (I have pots in both, but L.C. is really more about looking good than cooking well). I have the one from this Lodge page called a "chicken fryer". But any are great. Actually, I have several Lodge skillets that I use for just about everything except eggs (which stick). They are so easy to use. Cook. Then scrub it lightly in the sink with a touch of soap. If you rub off the seasoning, just rub some oil back onto the pot and heat it up for a minute or two.

skinnycaponesugar

In my country this is the way to cook beans. The night before left soaking in plenty of water, they change the water in the morning, then boiled them and changing the water once again for the third time left to cook, added to the end salt and seasonings, in my country makes a sauce of onions, sweet pepper, garlic, cumin sometimes, and coriander, and whether they are black beans add a little sugar, I recommend testing. It is advisable to place and maintain enough water to go a little boiling, adding if necessary. In 1 hour and a half will be ready. Smile
      That's exactly how I'd make them, I'd bet I know which country you're from Smile ...keep in mind that cooking time might vary depending on the type of beans. Black are my faves... Sluggo, Le Creuset is probably the best you can get. My Dutch oven (LeChasseur) is my most beloved kitchen thing, every dish you make in it turns out great Big grin

Love, Run, Sleep

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Le Creuset
        I disagree. Le Creuset is pretty but cleaning is a pain. And the enamel coating prevents the iron from leeching into the food, so you lose the health benefit. I use plain old Lodge Cast Iron, seasoned with a little oil. It looks classic and old, works extremely well, and is a snap to clean. It is also about 1/5th the cost of Le Creuset.

skinnycaponesugar

I haven't used the regular cast iron ones. Is the inner surface smooth? from my brief experience making cast iron bits, the surfaces were quite coarse. I suppose a bit extra iron doesn't astray, if you're a vegetarian. You do have a point with the cost... I like the enameled pots, they clean well, as long as you don't mind some stains on the light colored surface. That doesn't bother me, I think they're nice when they look used Big grin I also have a small Le Creuset pot that I use to make rice and "special" porridge in. I got it for $1 at a garage sale, kids used it for camping, so the wooden handle is slightly burnt. I left my number in case they had more to get rid of, but never heard back. What can I say? I like pretty Big grin

Love, Run, Sleep

dork.major dork.

I use the freezer method. Provided you can remember that you have beans in the freezer on cookie sheets and they don't create a boobytrap it's really pretty easy and no fuss. And then they are there until you used them, so you can soak more than you can make in a week or a few days without worrying about how long soaked beans last.

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

Non ducor, duco.

Don't forget to add a smidgeon of baking soda. It will help to get some of the gas out of the beans.