A-Z Recipes

Rhubarb (Read 228 times)

Former runner

I inherited some rhubarb plants with my house and I've never done anything with it. This stuff just comes up each spring. So how do you know when it is ready to pick and what can you make with it besides pie?

Ross

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You can eat the stalks any time, but it is best to wait until they are pretty thick and fleshy.  They will not always turn red, but if they do that can guide you as well.  You can make loads of things, although pie is certainly a favorite.  Cobbler too, usually with other berries.  You can stew it into a sweet sauce for topping pancakes or cakes or shortbread.  You can also cook it with meats or fish. 

A Saucy Wench

I like it with pork, you have to still add sugar, rhubarb is really tart, but I carmelize it with onions, brown sugar and a splash of balsamic  - salt and pepper to taste and it is great with meat.

I need to use up the remainder of my freezer stash in the next 2 weeks before the fresh stuff comes in.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7