A-Z Recipes

BEANS? (Read 328 times)

Didnt see any bean recipes on here, besides how to cook them from the dried form. Anyone got any FLAVORFUL suggestions? I just bought out the dried bean section from whole foods and dont really know what to do with them now! I made some pretty good black bean burritos, but I have to find the recipe to post here. Help please - if I dont make good stuff with all these beans, my husband is gonna boycott eating them!
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Got a crock pot or a cast iron dutch oven? I simply soak them over night, then bake them in the dutch oven, inside an oven preheated to ~350. I usually cover the beans with liquid that is about 1/2 " deeper than the beans. I usually use the liquid that comes in a can of tomatoes; when I use the tomatoes I save the liquid. And I often throw in a few garlic cloves. Always salt it after they are cooked.

Jazz hands!

I like black beans and rice (or quinoa, or whatever grain you've got on hand). Basically, cook the beans leaving some water in them, and add some cumin, coriander, tomato chunks, garlic, onion, frozen corn, and bell peppers and simmer for a little while. Add a little bit of mole if it's your thing. Put it on rice. Delicious!
        run run run AHHHHHH run run run

Jazz hands!

Bean related question here--I recently (ie, this morning) started using dried beans instead of canned because they're pretty much the cheapest food on earth. I put some pinto beans, black beans, and kidney beans in a big pot of water this morning before work and am letting them soak all day, but it turns out that we're going somewhere after work so I won't be able to make chili until tomorrow. Is soaking beans for 24+ hours going to ruin them totally or something? Will I have to mash them and make refried beans? Or can I just cook them tomorrow and pretend everything is normal?
            Serve with pork. Tongue Squeaky - I have soaked up to 3 days. You can stick them in the fridge if you want to be extra safe. I actually half-cook them, or at least soak them, and then freezer them. Burritos as you stated. "Mexican" omlette wkth tomtoes and/or salsa, and shredded cheddar. (Can also go in a tortillo wrapper). Beans and rice with cheese (swiss, less optimal with cheddar), diced onion, diced tomatoes, etc. Again, great in tortillos. Chilli with lots of different beans and frozen corn with normal toppings. Soup - I really like minestrone with kidney beans. You can make mixed bean soup. Black-bean spread. Enjoy!!!
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You can soak them forever, and the longer the better.
                Do they eventually start to ferment?

Jazz hands!

Do they eventually start to ferment?
                  I know they'll get moldy if you're dumb and forget them, like I did the last time I decided I was going to make beans from dried.

Jazz hands!

More questions! Do beans freeze well? Could I make a big batch of, say, pinto beans and then stick them in the freezer for a month?
                      They DO freeze okay, but follow a few guidelines: It's best to undercook them just slightly for freezing. That way they will have less tendency to get mushy when you reheat them. Pour a little extra liquid over top of them for freezing, so they don't get freezer burned. Thaw them in the refrigerator for a day or two before re-heating for best results, as the microwave will make them burst and get mushy on the re-heat. Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

dork.major dork.

Here is what I do for freezing beans: Soak in fridge for 24 hours. Lay on cookie sheet, freeze overnight Put frozen beans in ziploc bags in freezer to use whenever. Then I can use however much I want and it only takes about 30 minutes to cook them. I love this because I can do a big batch and have them on hand when I want them instead of thinking ahead quite so much. About flavor: I really love cooking pinto beans with rosemary it gives them this pleasant rosemary flavor that makes them perfect for salads. I imagine other herbs would also work well.

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

I recently discovered pressure cookers too... man...they are the bomb for beans. It takes forever to cook dried beans out here (I live at altitude, where water boils at a lower temp). The pressure cooker is a huge time and energy saver. - Chris