A-Z Recipes

"International" (Read 531 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh...this could easily be my favorite category! I should try to find my baklava recipe! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Ooh...this could easily be my favorite category! I should try to find my baklava recipe! Big grin k
        So you're one of those talented baklava makers aye? My MIL makes it and she says, quote, "It's a bitch to make!" LMBO I actually have no idea. But gotta laugh at the MIL!!!
          Israeli Goat Cheese and Sun-dried tomato Lasagne (From Joan Nathan's The Foods of Israel Today). Unfortunately, this takes a while to make. And it never seems to last long. In fact, the last time I was at my parents I made two with the intent of freezing the second, but it never made it anywhere close to the freezer! Ingredients: 3 TBSP butter 1 large onion - chopped 3 cloves garlic - minced 4 Tsp flour 1 cup veg broth 1 cup heavy cream 1.5 cups milk 12 oz feta or other goat cheese - crumbled Salt and epper to taste 0.5 tsp ground nutmeg 1 lb lasagne noodles 1 cup sundried tomatoes (posters note: save a step and get the kind in a jar that are already cut and you dont need to soak!) 1 lb ricotta cheese 0.5 cup pesto 0.25 cup grated parmesan 1. Make the sauce: Melt butter in a heavy pan over med-low heat. Saute onions and garlic until translucent (~5 mins). Stir flour and some veg broth into a paste. Whisk into the sauce with remaining veg broth. (I think I just whisked the flower right into the sauce without the paste step). Add cream and milk and stir until sauce thickens (~5 mins). Stir in goat cheese, nutmeg "lots of pepper" and "salt if needed." 2. Cook lasagne noodles. (I usually get the kind you dont have to cook. Or just dont cook the kind you are supposed to. It usually works out.) 3. Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. (I dont think I greased it. But I may have.) Soak sundried toms in boiling water for a few mins then drain and chop. (Or just buy pre-soaked, pre-chopped, and save step). 4. Spread a few tbsp of sauce on bottom of baking dish. Make lasagna - layer in this order: - 5 strips of noodles. - Half of ricotta. - Noodles. - Half of sauce - half of sundried toms - Pesto - Noodles - Ricotta - Noodles - Tomatoes - Sauce - Parmesan. 6. Bake 25 mins or until top is "bubbly." Wait a few mins before serving.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So you're one of those talented baklava makers aye? My MIL makes it and she says, quote, "It's a bitch to make!" LMBO I actually have no idea. But gotta laugh at the MIL!!!
            I wish I could laugh at mine...but she has NO sense of humor and is currently at the top of my shit list! Tongue Baklava isn't so hard to make (unless one makes their own phyllo dough, but I don't know of anyone who actually does that), just time consuming--but the results are SO worth the effort! Abby, that lasagna sounds incredible--I LOVE goat cheese and pesto! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

nemo1

Where's the baklava recipe?? I've been looking for one because it's so yummy. And, if you have a tried and true one, please share.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sara, let me find out what one my hubby made a couple of recent batches with--it was a really good one. I think he found it online, so I'll see if he can recall the site or I will type it up for ya'. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Here's the baklava recipe, again. k

~ Sarah Kay

Thai Yellow Chicken Curry (work in progress) These values might not be exact... typing this from memory and I like to wing it. Smile 1-1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast (some use dark meat like thigh) 2-3 small red potatoes peeled 2 cans light coconut milk Canola or Vegetable Oil 1 finely chopped shallot (like a small onion) 1 tbsp Yellow curry powder (hot) 1 tbsp red curry paste A little green onion (1/2 "stalk") ~1 tbsp Sweet chili & garlic sauce -OR- 1/2 tbsp Sweet chili sauce& 1 tsp minced garlic Sea salt to taste Sugar or Turbanado to taste Dash of fish sauce (optional) 1 tsp Lemongrass (optional) 1-2 de-seeded, finely chopped chilies if you like it REALLY hot Cooked rice (usually cook 3 cups to have some for leftovers) Cut up the chicken in to slivers (2" or so). Put enough oil in your pot to barely coat the bottom. Heat oil to medium/medium-high. Start browning (precooking) the chicken in the pot. Put the potatoes in another pot and start boiling them. Once the meat looks pretty much cooked (probably 10 min or so) take it out and put it aside. Reduce the heat to about medium and add a LITTLE more oil if there isn't any left and add the chopped shallot, cook until it's almost see through. Once that's done, start slowly adding your coconut milk and turn temp up to medium-high again. Add a little, let it come to a boil, then add more. Once both cans are in, reduce the heat to medium-low (still want there to be a slight boil) and add the curry powder and paste, stirring them in slowly and blend them in. Add your chicken and also the garlic and chili sauce, fish sauce, and lemongrass. Check your potatoes, when they're soft enough add them in. Let this cook maybe 20-30 minutes or so, doesn't take that long since the chicken, potatoes, and rice are precooked. Once your sauce is thick enough, add your sugar and salt and let it cook a little more. If it isn't hot enough, you can add more chillies if you want. (I've never had to do this). Chop up the green onion and sprinkle over the top. Serve over rice, feeds probably 4-6 people.
                      This is the recipe from " Spirit of the Marathon " outakes if you stayed to watch them after the movie. Deena Kastor makes these and you practially drool at how good they look. They are on my list of things to make very very soon! Avocado Enchiladas Ingredients: Sauce: 2 Tbs vegetable oil 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, minced 1Tbs sugar 4Tbs cumin 3Tbs oregano 1 can beer 1 twenty-eight ounce can crushed tomatoes 1 cup chicken broth or water Filling: 8 ripe avocados, peeled and seeded 1/2 red onion, finely diced 1 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped Juice of one lime 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced 3/4 teaspoon salt 20 corn tortillas 1/3 cup grapeseed or canola oil 1 pound Monterey Jack Cheese, grated Instructions: Here is the recipe many of you asked for. I made one of my favorite recipes while shooting the documentary Spirit of the Marathon. It is a great dish to make when avocados are on sale. Watch Spirit of the Marathon to see the "secret ingredient" I add to the sauce after it has simmered. For the sauce: See below for "those on the run". Heat 1 tsp oil in sauce pan. Add onion and saute for 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, sugar, cumin and oregano saute 2 more minutes. Add beer, tomatoes broth let simmer for 20 minutes. Can be made two days in advance cool, cover and refrigerate until used for enchiladas. Chop avocado and toss with cilantro, red onion, jalapeno, lime juice and salt. Heat oven to 400 degrees. In saucepan, heat oil (grapeseed and canola oil tolerate high heat and do not become toxic at high temperatures) over medium flame for about 5 minutes. Once oil is hot, fry tortillas one at a time for one minute each side, or until lightly brown and blistered. Remove and blot on brown grocery bag or paper towel (if you skip frying the tortilla, the enchiladas will not hold form). Spread 1/2 cup red sauce on bottom of casserole dish. Dip fried tortillas in pot of remaining red sauce, spoon 3 heaping tablespoon of avocado filling in each tortilla. Roll up and arrange rolled tortillas side by side in casserole dish. Pour remaining sauce over tortillas sprinkle with cheese. Cover and bake for 25 minutes take foil off and bake for another five minutes. Serve two enchiladas on a plate with rice, black beans and a side salad. For those on the Run: Instead of making your own sauce, combine a 28oz can of enchilada sauce and 14oz can of crushed tomatoes simmer for 10 minutes. Tongue

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS"