A-Z Recipes

Poultry (Read 382 times)

Smile
    nemo1

Pan-roasted Chicken with Mushrooms and Rosemary Ingredients: 1 (6-ounce) boneless chicken breast with wing attached, with skin Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 5 fresh white mushrooms, halved 2 shallots, halved 2 sprigs fresh rosemary 1/4 cup water 1/2 lemon, juiced Directions: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Season the chicken on both sides with a generous amount of salt and pepper. Place a cast-iron or regular ovenproof skillet on the stove over medium heat. Drizzle the pan with the oil and lay the chicken in the hot fat, skin-side down. Cook for about 5 minutes until the skin begins to set and crisp. Throw in the mushrooms, shallots, and rosemary. Stick the whole thing in the hot oven and roast for 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked, and the mushrooms and shallots are soft and roasted. The last thing to make is a quick sauce using the flavors left in the bottom of the skillet. Take all the stuff out of the pan and arrange on a dinner plate to keep warm while preparing the pan sauce. Pour out all but 1 tablespoon of the rendered chicken fat and return the skillet to the stovetop. Stir in the water and lemon juice and cook over medium heat, scraping up the flavors with a wooden spoon. Cook the liquid down to a syrup, about 5 minutes. Drizzle the pan sauce over the dish, season with salt and pepper.
        MEXICAN LASAGNA Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket 1 1/2 tsp chili pwdr 1 tsp grnd cumin 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 tsp grnd red pepper 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes 16 oz nonfat sour cream 6 scallions, chopped 1 can (4 oz) chopped green chiles, drained 6-7 flour tortillas (8") 3 C. shredded cooked chicken 1 can (15.5 oz) corn, drained 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese Sliced black olives, sliced scallions 1. Heat oven to 350. Mix chili, cumin, salt, pepper, tomatoes in bowl. Mix sour cream, scallions, chiles in 2nd bowl. 2. Spread 1/2 C. tomatoe mix in 13" x 9" x 2" baking dish. Arrange 2 tortillas to cover bottom; use pieces from another tortilla to fit corners if needed. Top with half the sour cream mix, half the chicken, half the corn, 1 C. tomatoe mix, 1/3 cheese. Repeat layering, ending w/ tortillas, tomatoes. Sprinkle remaining cheese around edge. 3. Bake in 350 oven 35 minutes until bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes. Garnish w/ olives and scallions! Note: I drained the tomatoes quite a bit as I used diced...don't know if there's a liquid differences btwn those and crushed, but seemed like too much liquid to me. Dish came out perfect, so glad I drained them! I also omitted the red pepper as I don't like it really spicy. I also used diced tomatoes that already had the chiles in them so I didn't have to mess with them!
          thanks for posting all the recent recipes sockoni. this mexican lasagna one is definitely one i'm going to be trying!
            thanks for posting all the recent recipes sockoni. this mexican lasagna one is definitely one i'm going to be trying!
            You're so welcome MandyS! We found that scooping the lasagna onto salty tortilla chips is pretty good too, when eating the leftovers! Smile
              we had it today and it was really very good indeed. my husband declared it a success Smile thanks for the tip about the tortilla chips - but there were no leftovers!
                we had it today and it was really very good indeed. my husband declared it a success Smile thanks for the tip about the tortilla chips - but there were no leftovers!
                Alright!!! Great to hear! Glad someone out there is getting use of these recipes!! Big grin Thanks for letting me know! ~Joni~
                  Thai chicken curry (adapted from a Nigel Slater recipe) Ingredients For the curry paste 4 lemongrass stalks, tougher outer leaves discarded 6 medium-hot green chillies, seeded and chopped 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed 5cm/2in piece of galangal or ginger, peeled and chopped 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped 4 tbsp chopped coriander 1 tsp ground cumin 1 tsp chopped lime zest 1 tbsp nam pla (Thai fish sauce) ½ tsp ground black peppercorns For the curry 750g/1lb 10oz chicken breasts or thighs, bones removed 3 tbsp groundnut oil 200g/7oz chestnut mushrooms, quartered 400ml/14fl oz tin coconut milk 400ml/14 fl oz chicken stock 8 lime leaves 1 tbsp nam pla (Thai fish sauce) leaves from a large bunch (about 20g/0.7oz) basil, shredded 15g/½oz fresh coriander (leaves and stalks,) roughly chopped Method 1. For the curry paste, slice the lemongrass finely. Put it in a food processor with all the remaining curry paste ingredients and whiz to a thick paste, pushing the mixture down from time to time with a spatula. 2. For the curry, cut the chicken into finger-thick strips. 3. Warm the oil in a pan then add the chicken strips and let them colour slightly on all sides. 4. Remove the cooked chicken pieces from the pan. Add the quartered mushrooms and fry until golden-brown, adding more oil if needed. 5. Pour in the coconut milk and stock, then add the lime leaves, four heaped tablespoons of the curry paste, the fish sauce and half of the chopped herbs. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring from time to time. 6. Return the chicken to the pan with a further tablespoon of the paste and simmer for five to six minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Stir in the last of the herbs and serve. This looks like a lot of ingredients but given all you do with the first 10 is put them in the food processor and turn them into paste it really is a very easy recipe to make. I often add zucchini, broccoli or peas instead of the mushrooms. If you can’t find lime leaves add some lime juice instead.
                    TURKEY BURGERS (approximate recipe-- i make these all the time and "wing it" to some degree every time) makes 12 standard-sized patties 3 pounds ground turkey (i use extra-lean-- don't worry, they'll still be tasty) 1/8 cup bread crumbs (i just toast some bread and then grate it or chop it in the food processor) 1/8 cup wheat germ 1/4 cup finely diced onion 1/4 cup finely chopped carrot 2 egg whites, lightly beaten (i use organic; i save the yolks for ice cream!) 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley 2 clove garlic, peeled and minced 1/2 tablespoon hard cheese, grated (i use parmesan, asiago or whatever else i've picked up lately) (optional) 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, ground fine 1 teaspoon dried cumin, ground fine 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon tamari sauce (dark soy sauce) 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce (optional) 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper just enough olive or vegetable oil to sautee the carrot & onion toast the rosemary, cumin & pepper in a heavy skillet to awaken the aromas; add the onion, carrot, salt & oil to pan, sautee together over medium-high until soft & fragrant; add the garlic and cook until your mouth waters. add tamari & worcestershire sauce, stir until evenly distributed through mixture. once everything is soft and tender, remove from heat and set aside to cool a little bit. once cool, add onion/carrot mixture to a large bowl and mix with ground turkey, egg whites, wheat germ, parsley, bread crumbs & cheese (basically everything else you've set out to add to the patties). once adequately mixed, form into patties. if eating right away, slap 'em on the grill & go. if making ahead, i bake them just until they're easy to lift and wrap w/ plastic wrap. i wrap each one individually w/ plastic wrap, and then place the wrapped patties in a freezer bag for either the fridge or the freezer. you can also opt not to shape them into patties, but to prepare them as meatballs (fry them or bake them instead of grill them) cook the ground meat as you would for tacos, burritos, or for a meat sauce for pasta. if you like to know the nutritional profile of the foods you make/eat (i'm guessing if you're opting for turkey over beef...), i ran the recipe as described above through the sparkpeople.com recipe calculator and this is what it had to say: ________________________ Nutrition Facts Serving Size: 1 serving Calories 147.8 Total Fat 2.3 g Saturated Fat 0.7 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0.2 g Monounsaturated Fat 0.4 g Cholesterol 45.4 mg Sodium 323.7 mg Potassium 57.9 mg Total Carbohydrate 3.2 g Dietary Fiber 0.6 g Sugars 0.3 g Protein 27.9 g Vitamin A 8.7 % Vitamin B-12 0.2 % Vitamin B-6 1.7 % Vitamin C 4.1 % Vitamin D 0.0 % Vitamin E 0.5 % Calcium 1.4 % Copper 1.4 % Folate 5.2 % Iron 7.0 % Magnesium 2.7 % Manganese 25.2 % Niacin 1.5 % Pantothenic Acid 0.6 % Phosphorus 3.6 % Riboflavin 1.8 % Selenium 0.7 % Thiamin 4.4 % Zinc 3.0 % *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
                      this is not a from-scratch recipe-- more of a heads-up regarding a jarred sauce. trader joes tikka masala sauce? pretty damn good w/ chicken, broccoli & chickpeas over rice!