A-Z Recipes

My potato soup totally sucked (Read 207 times)

Tried baked potato soup tonight from a magazine clipping. It totally SUCKED! It mustve been one of those articles on stuff you can make in the microwave because thats how everything was cooked. But mine turned out like watery milky chicken soup with chunks of potatoes stuck at the bottom! hahaha my poor husband!! Anyone have a better recipe? I like it creamy, kinda like a cheddar and broccoli soup with potatoes in it....or I guess I could just hunt the internet for some myself. but just thought I'd ask first
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What was your recipe?
        Ummm, off the top of my head it was 2 potatoes (but I upped it to 4) microwaved until mushy. Stirred in with 2 cups chickn broth and 1 cup milk. Added to it some crispy bacon, shredded cheese. hahaha - i seriously think that was all! I know I could amp it up a little, but I just tried it out b/c it looked so quick. But it just turned out like potato water!!

A Saucy Wench

Eeeewy. Step 1 - can be done any time Dice & saute onions, garlic carrots and celery in a little olive oil. (To quote Grosse Pointe Blank - carrots and celery are the base of a soup) - veggies should start to release their moisture. Add diced potatoes. I would use firmer potatoes like yellow, yukons or small whites...not idaho bakers) Saute briefly Add salt and fresh ground black pepper and a dash of cayenne to the veggies. Stir to release aroma Add chicken broth, (or veggie or water) just to cover veggies. (you may need to adjust seasoning if you use plain water - maybe add some italian seasoning) Optional - add fresh or frozen brocolli, cauliflower, peas - whatever...depending on how potato pure you want to be. Simmer until veggies are tender. I prefer my potato soup pureed so this is a good time to do it. An immersion blender works wonders. If you like your soup a little chunky, remove a few scoops of veggies, puree the rest and then add the diced veggies back in. Step 2. Right before serving. Reheat soup if it has been fridged. Add milk. It doesnt take much to get a creamy texture. ~ 1 cup of skim milk in a fairly large pot will do. heat gently. DO NOT BOIL. When soup is hot add shredded cheddar cheese. ARound 8 oz for a large pot again...never boil or nuke once the cheese has been added. If you have leftovers reheat them gently stirring frequently. If you boil cheese based soup the cheese separates and you get nasty grainy soup. MTA - if you want a more classic potato soup use leeks in place of the onion. Smile

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Thanks Ennay! I might give this another go sometime in the future, maybe when winter hits and it gets chilly