A-Z Recipes

Seeking Egg free birthday cake recipe (Read 494 times)

skinnycaponesugar

Does anyone have a cake a recipe that do not require eggs? I tried one using extra baking soda and cocoa powder but it wasn't that great. Help please Smile

Love, Run, Sleep

Here are 2 suggestions. You can buy egg replacer like this. I've found it works really well for most baked goods, as long as whatever you're making doesn't require a ton of eggs (like 4 or more). Or, you could just mix one can of pop (any kind) into a boxed cake mix and pop it into the oven! That's all you do! I think I use Duncan Hines moist (only because it's one of the few mixes that doesn't have milk, which we can't have either) and it turns out really well (watch for eggs in the mix ingredients too!). You're not going to get the rise on the cake that you would normally, but I made cupcakes this way for my son's Halloween party and they came out GREAT! You can probably find some recipes on that egg replacer website too! Smile

running yogi

extra baking soda needs to be complemented(would that be the word ?) with addition of some sort of acidic food to activate the baking soda. That will bring about the "soda effect" Sockoni suggested. I use yogurt or milk+vinegar or buttermilk. This also adds back the liquid volume you take away by not adding the eggs to your cake batter and makes the cake moist.
          Or, you could just mix one can of pop (any kind) into a boxed cake mix and pop it into the oven! That's all you do! I think I use Duncan Hines moist (only because it's one of the few mixes that doesn't have milk, which we can't have either) and it turns out really well (watch for eggs in the mix ingredients too!). You're not going to get the rise on the cake that you would normally, but I made cupcakes this way for my son's Halloween party and they came out GREAT!
          My best friend's son is allergic to eggs, she has made this recipe before and it is AWESOME. I would argue it's BETTER than "regular" cake. You can even use diet cola and have low calorie cupcakes/cake if you want.
          2009 Goals:
          PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
          Run a 10K
          Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
          Complete my first Sprint Tri
            My best friend's son is allergic to eggs, she has made this recipe before and it is AWESOME. I would argue it's BETTER than "regular" cake.
            I thought so too! I couldn't stop woofing my son's cupcakes down! Here they are (not really flat): Photobucket Of course, I had mixed reviews. Some people loved them and others thought they tasted weird. We LOVED them!

skinnycaponesugar

Those are so cute! Big grin Here is my cake, complete with egg free icing. (I borrowed the characters) I went looking for an egg substitute, but instead I found a wheat free, yeast free, egg free, gluten free, free from everything, cake mix. it was a bit cinnamony, which appealed to the grown ups more than to the kids. The icing recipe was given to me by a friend, it was great! recipe is as follows: "1/2 cup butter 1/2 cup copha 4 cups pure icing sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla (1 tablespoon of milk if it feels too thick) Cream butter and copha (soften overnight 1st) add vanilla, add in icing sugar slowly (I use a mixmaster), if it gets too stiff add small amount of milk but one tablespoon by the end would be maximum or it will be too sloppy. It pipes amazingly and it stays firm enough that you can remove any mistakes. I then put it into the fridge to set. It is still soft to cut and to eat. colour of your choice - add extra icing sugar if it is not as firm as you started." MTA: WAH!! that's big!!

Love, Run, Sleep

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Had to look that up: Copha, a registered trademark of Peerless, is a form of vegetable fat shortening made from hydrogenated coconut oil. It is 100% fat, at least 98% of which is saturated. It also contains Soya Bean Lecithin. It is popular in Australia where it is used in many foods for children, such as chocolate crackles, made from Rice Bubbles, copha, and cocoa powder. Copha is only produced in Australia, but there are many suppliers of hydrogenated coconut fat in various forms worldwide. It is a necessary ingredient in traditional Australian treats such as Chocolate Crackles and White Christmas, and a "chocolate coating" on baked goods that amounts to a rather waxy form of compound chocolate. A dramatic decline in the price of chocolate over the decades is likely to be a significant contribution to the declining popularity of copha-based confectionary[citation needed]. In New Zealand, it is marketed as Kremelta. In the United States and Europe it is not easily available.
                  Had to look that up:
                  Me too! If I'd just scrolled a bit more though, I could have saved myself some work! Thanks Trent! Evie, that cake is so adorable!! Look at all of the colors too! Someone was happy that day I'll bet! Smile

skinnycaponesugar

Had to look that up: Copha, a registered trademark of Peerless, is a form of vegetable fat shortening made from hydrogenated coconut oil. It is 100% fat, at least 98% of which is saturated. It also contains Soya Bean Lecithin. It is popular in Australia where it is used in many foods for children,
                    Sorry, I copied the recipe from my email. I didn't know what Copha was either before I bought it. The package doesn't say it is hydrogenated, I dont think manufacturers in Australia are required to tell when the fat is hydrogenated, like they are in the USA. Being hydrogenated makes it an "eat as seldom as possible" kind of food.

Love, Run, Sleep