A-Z Recipes

turmeric (Read 191 times)

Gig

I've been on a turmeric kick lately. It's partly because I recently read about how great curcumin is for you, and partly because I found about a pound of it in my pantry. I sprinkle it on random things, like poached eggs or pasta, but I'm wondering if other folks have recipes that use the spice? I'm really only interested in vegetarian recipes, but I suppose other recipes could be posted here as well. Yes I don't really have any to offer. I did throw it in while sauteing some garlic in white wine, and piled that on top of some pasta. That was good.

skinnycaponesugar

I use turmeric in rice dishes. My take on a Spanish paella has turmeric instead of saffron, which is very expensive and doesn't keep well. Ok, here it goes: 1 onion 1 green pepper 1 yellow pepper 1 tbs olive oil 1 tsp turmeric 3 cups of veg stock 1 1/2 cups of medium grain white rice...although I'm tempted to use a brown rice called koshihiri (or something similar) a handful of fresh peas salt to taste (depending on the stock) Meat stuff -leave out for veg or replace with vegetables cubed small. 1 Spanish chorizo 200g (1/2 lb.) good marinara (seafood) mix On a large flat bottom skillet, heat up the olive oil. Chuck in sliced onions until translucent.Add sliced chorizo. Add sliced peppers. Cook on medium for about a minute. Add dry rice and swish around for a couple of minutes until fully coated with oil, you might notice some grains starting to toast a bit. Pour most of the vegetable stock to fully cover what's already in the pan. Add turmeric, add saffron here, if you have any. Bring to boil, once it starts bubbling, put in peas and seafood. Cover and simmer. You'll have to check until done, the liquid will be absorbed and the rice cooked, add more stock if needed. If the rice seems ready but there is a bit too much stock in the pan leave the lid off. DO NO STIR, let it cook without touching it. When ready, go ahead and dish it out Smile

Love, Run, Sleep

my mom used to make a turmeric chicken dish that we'd eat with jasmine rice. as i remember it, it was thinly sliced breast or thigh meat sauteed in oil with salt, onion, garlic and turmeric. pretty simple. i make turmeric seitan this way, tossing some chopped scallions in at the end for more color and a bit of flavor. simple, tasty, healthy.

running yogi

most curry powders should have tumeric in it.