A-Z Recipes

Kale- Good or Bad? (Read 1457 times)

I don't normally buy this, so just wondering if any of the kale experts out there can tell me if it's supposed to have a smell to it?  It's the red variety, looks good, is not wilty and has been in the refrigerator a few days.  Nothing too long I wouldn't think, but it really smells bad. 

I did a quick google search and someone mentioned a high sulphur content in kale that could cause the smell, but most things I read said that it's probably gotten warm and not to eat it.

Anyone know? 

Then again, when I buy it at the store where there are larger quantities, I don't notice anything, so something's probably not right with it.  It looks perfectly fine though.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Good!

Steam until dark green and wilted.  Then...

Sautee in butter or olive oil...or

Stir fry / cook into fried rice...or

Add to tomato sauce...or

Serve as a side to meat or fish, doused in a touch of vinegar and salt...or

Throw into vegetable soup...or

Add to ricotta cheese as the filling for ravioli...or

sky is the limit Big grin

Like brussels sprouts, cabbage and other greens, it smells when you first start cooking it.  That goes away.

Good!

Steam until dark green and wilted.  Then...

Sautee in butter or olive oil...or

Stir fry / cook into fried rice...or

Add to tomato sauce...or

Serve as a side to meat or fish, doused in a touch of vinegar and salt...or

Throw into vegetable soup...or

Add to ricotta cheese as the filling for ravioli...or

sky is the limit Big grin

Like brussels sprouts, cabbage and other greens, it smells when you first start cooking it.  That goes away.

+1

all that he said......

My favorite is just simmered in stock, or tomato water/stock and seasoned with cider vinegar.....yummy! It's a great add on to a pasta dish, because unlike spinach, it holds it's texture better. Plus Kale is LOADED with calcium, Iron and all that good stuff......the best part is that it's CHEAP. that is a always a bonus!

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Did i mention that i love you guys?

Alright.  I will carry on.  I'm just making chips ("melt in your mouth" rumor has it) out of them right now, but it would  be nice to use it in other ways in the future. 

Jazz hands!

I LOVE KALE

that is all.

run run run AHHHHHH run run run

Kale chips??  Care to share?

I've had kale cooked with navy beans and ham.  Yum!  However, when trying to do that myself, I learned that it needs to be sauteed before being added to the beans.  Even though I let the beans cook for some time after adding, it didn't' soften up.  Plus, sauteing first adds a bit of pizzazz to it.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

sluggo

John

GOOD!!!

Kale is really easy to grow too - and you get lots.

The best stuff is early in the season and late in the season. It survives early frosts just fine and a frost improves the flavor.

Normally I just steam the stuff like a spinach that takes a long time to cook. Sometimes I stir fry it with other veggies and maybe meat or tofu. It is also great with a tomato based stew.

ummm - wish I had some in the garden now. I did not get the 2nd crop in soon enough so there is not much there, the plants are very small, and the first crop is really too old.

John
                www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Jazz hands!

Honey curried kale (best with the curly kind, but good with anything)

½ medium onion, thinly sliced
                  1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
                  1 tablespoon curry powder
                  1 tablespoon honey
                  1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
                  ½ bunch kale (about 4 ounces), tough stems removed, leaves chopped large (or 6 cups packed chopped kale)
                  2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
                  ¼ cup water

1. Sauté onion in oil over medium heat until dark brown and caramelized, about 20 minutes. Stir in curry powder, honey, and lemon juice. Add kale, soy sauce, and water. Cook for 5 minutes, tossing repeatedly until kale is chewy but tender.

PER SERVING: 50 cal, 42% fat cal, 3g fat, 0g sat fat, 0mg chol, 1g protein, 7g carb, 1g fiber, 209mg sodium

(from http://deliciouslivingmag.com/food/recipes/side-dish/honey-curried-kale-onions/)

Jazz hands!

Kale & Lentil Pasta (made this last week, it's delicious, and basically uses kale and other stuff you'll have on hand)

• 1/2 cup French (small) green lentils
                    • 2 cups water
                    • 3/4 teaspoon salt
                    • 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
                    • 1 large onion, finely chopped (2 cups)
                    • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
                    • 3/4 pound kale (preferably Tuscan; sometimes labeled "lacinato")
                    • 3/4 pound dried short pasta

Simmer lentils in water (2 cups) with 1/4 teaspoon salt in a 1- to 1 1/2-quart saucepan, uncovered, adding more water if necessary to keep lentils barely covered, until tender but not falling apart, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and season with salt.

While lentils simmer, heat 1/4 cup oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté onion with pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, stirring, 1 minute. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and golden (stir more frequently toward end of cooking), about 20 minutes. Remove lid and increase heat to moderate, then cook, stirring frequently, until onion is golden brown, 5 to 10 minutes more.

While onion cooks, cut out and discard stems and center ribs from kale. Cook kale in a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling salted water , uncovered, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer kale with tongs to a colander to drain, pressing lightly. Keep pot of water at a boil, covered.

Coarsely chop kale and add to onion along with lentils (including lentil-cooking liquid), then simmer, stirring, 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.

Add pasta to kale-cooking liquid and boil, uncovered, until al dente. Reserve about 1 cup pasta-cooking liquid, then drain pasta in a colander. Add pasta to lentil mixture along with about 1/3 cup of pasta-cooking liquid (or enough to keep pasta moist) and cook over high heat, tossing, 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons oil.

(from http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pasta-with-Lentils-and-Kale-238092)