A-Z Recipes

So did anyone see the Article In Runners World by Mark Bittman? (Read 356 times)

Trent Honey, It was YOU all over it..... " Eat food, Not Too much, Mostly Plants" .....

I have several of his books, and I did not know he was a runner. Cool! Anyway, his recipes looked damned tasty, and I have to admit I am going to toy with the Spinach Sweet Potato Salad recipe this weekend. Anyone else have any thoughts on this article?

It's been boring here, Hopefully folks will visit and talk about what yummy food you have been making lately, other than Trent who I am sure has been knee deep in jellies, pies, and yogurt.....

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Missed the article.  I don't get RW...

Last night after blanching some string beans in tomato water, I then stewed some faux meatballs (feetballs?) in the tomato water and served with rice.  Then I made a fresh peach pie for tonight.  The pie is unbaked but assembled, sitting in the freezer.  Tonight, it will bake!  The peaches are from South Carolina, picked at peak ripeness.  I bought a couple baskets, chopped them and froze them right away.  They are fabulous!  The crust is butter/oil, flour, sugar and a touch of vanilla, white vinegar and balsamic vinegar.  I will sprinkle some sugar on it before baking.  It is good and soft, so it should bake very tender.  Here's hoping!

That PIE SOUNDS AMAZING!!!! you can't go wrong with SC peaches......Where did you get the Vinegar trick? sounds like that would add killer complexity to it........ yummy.

Feetballs? NASTY.DUDE.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My 10 year old accidentally said "feetballs".  It, er, stuck.

In southern crusts, it is often common to use a bit of vinegar as the liquid phase.  Apple cider or white vinegar are probably the most used.  I often use other vinegars or orange/apple/lemon juices, which have citric acid instead of acetic acid.  That gives a different character.  You can also use buttermilk or yogurt, which has lactic acid, yet again another flavor character.  The balsamic adds the caramel and sugar, both of which become very subtle to the taster.  As you said, it adds a complexity that gets very difficult to pin down while eating.  Big grin

My 10 year old accidentally said "feetballs".  It, er, stuck.

In southern crusts, it is often common to use a bit of vinegar as the liquid phase.  Apple cider or white vinegar are probably the most used.  I often use other vinegars or orange/apple/lemon juices, which have citric acid instead of acetic acid.  That gives a different character.  You can also use buttermilk or yogurt, which has lactic acid, yet again another flavor character.  The balsamic adds the caramel and sugar, both of which become very subtle to the taster.  As you said, it adds a complexity that gets very difficult to pin down while eating.  Big grin

Very Cool, I will have to remember that one. I am a HUGE fan of buttermilk in anything pastry. I know I told you that you can get FF buttermilk At Wal-Mart, I usually grab that, and I now add that to my Oatmeal Buttermilk Pancakes, and it makes the best cornbread ever...... Hub grew tons of Peppers this year, and we have made our own smoked jalepenos, ( aka chipotles) and grind them into powder and add to said cornbread. dude. You will have to let me know how that pie tastes! sounds like it needs a good microbrew to go with it...... I LOVE this time of the year, the Humidity is breaking, cool nights/mornings, running gets WAY better, all the good food. Oh yeah, and my butternut squash are in! I have an entire bushel of them, along with taters and sweet taters....so much food, so little time!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I generally use homemade unhomogenized milk yogurt in place of buttermilk...works great.

Just had my first butternut in a stirfry the other day.  It scorched a bit though.  I forgot how sweet they are when cooking, egad!

A Saucy Wench

mmmmm

I am stuck in the land of pizza, spaghetti pie, and potato salad.  The only veggie I have had in 5 days is the tomato on my sandwich and the onion in my eggs.  I am drinking wine to compensate.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Trent Honey, It was YOU all over it..... " Eat food, Not Too much, Mostly Plants" .....

I have several of his books, and I did not know he was a runner. Cool! Anyway, his recipes looked damned tasty, and I have to admit I am going to toy with the Spinach Sweet Potato Salad recipe this weekend. Anyone else have any thoughts on this article?

I read Bittman's blog so I was curious to see the RW article. I looked on the RW website.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-303--13282-0,00.html

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.