A-Z Recipes

Cooking Class (Read 176 times)

Two weeks ago I took my first cooking class and LOVED it!! I took a hands-on class called "Sassy Sauces," where we made (1) scallops with a shallot burre blanc sauce; (2) chicken with a basquaise sauce; (3) trout with a brown butter almondine sauce; and (4) beef tenderloin with a cognac roquefort sauce. AMAZING!!! I had so much fun and learned so many things. Of course, I was a little sick to my stomach that night after eating all that rich buttery food (not use to that), but it was totally worth it. So, this weekend I've signed myself up for an intense 6 hour Fish & Seafood class. It's a very small hands-on class that will show me everything about selecting, preparing, and cooking all different kinds of fish and shellfish. I get to pick out any type of fish/seafood I want to learn about. How exciting! Does anyone have any recommendations on what kind of fish/seafood to pick? I think I've pretty much mastered the usual suspects (salmon, trout, halibut, etc.), so I was thinking of trying something more exotic or different. Mussels? Grouper? Scallops? Maybe something with crab? What fish and seafood do you all like?
      Sara How Fun! I have taught MANY A COOKING CLASS over the years, and the fact that you enthusiasm is so high makes you a dream student from a Chef's Perspective! Smile I have taught several seafood classes over the years, and I would tell you whatever fish you really really LIKE is where to start. IE: when you are ordering seafood out in a restaurant, what type are you most likely to order? That is the best place to start, because you will then learn how to prepare your favorites in a new way and done to perfection. Then venture to the little more curious varieties out there, but BE CAREFUL. Watch for seafood that is fresh and seasonal, as you will get the freshest varieties that way. Scallops are great, because they can overcook really easily, and you can learn to cook them perfectly. Look for fish like Snapper for something different or snazzy.... even bass can be really great if you find it good and fresh. My best advice will be to go visit a good fish counter at your store, one where the Seafood Manager KNOWS what they are talking about, and get some direction as to what is fresh and interesting to you... HAVE FUN! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Scallops... *swoons* My favorite meal on our honeymoon was in Digby, Nova Scotia. I *heart* scallops so much it nearly brings me to tears. Hard to get them around here.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

One of the BEST things about living in Maine is all the great seafood. I love going to the grocery store and looking at all the fresh fish and live lobsters! Couldn't do that where I grew up. We had fresh haddock tonight - ymm! I actually disliked fish growing up, and now I think it was because it wasn't too fresh.