A-Z Recipes

Another Kale post (Read 299 times)

I just bought my first bunch.  And I'm scared of it.  I want to try the kale chips - has anyone done this yet?  I read the othr post about the kale and some suggestions you guys had about it, but I dont know if this veggie is gonna be for me.  I figured I would try a new veggie out every couple of weeks and this is first onthe list.  I'm not a soup maker, or a sauce maker (eventhough I want to be), and the only spinach I eat is when its tossed into  my egg white omelettes.....leafy things scare me.  I knw my husband is going to hate this - its just too much of a veggie for him to handle, so I hope I like it - theres a lot of it to eat!!!

Will you guys hold my hand through this experience?

LOL, Chrissy, of course we'll hold your hand!  I've had it cooked, but my favorite is baked into chips.  If you try them, you'll love them!  Even my kids ate them...and that's saying a lot!! 

I tried making chips once but I oversalted them. Still I did like them.

I know you said you are not a soup maker but I do like kale in Zuppa Toscana (?), like what they have at Olive Garden.

Holy shit - I made the chips and they're already gone!!!   We scoffed 'em all up!!!  Even the toddler was squishing them in her hand and shoving the pieces in her mouth......sooooo yummiclious!  I'm gonna do the rest of the bunch tomorrow. I even brought some to work and everyone was printing out the recipe.  Pure Awesome-ness.   I found another recipe that calls for dijon mustard, dried cranberries and sliced almonds mixed into it - can't wait to try it out.

Phew!   One veggie fear down, countless more to go!

A Saucy Wench

I had marinated grilled kale the other night.  yummy. 

1 bunch kale, stems removed

1 can coconut milk

1T lemon juice

1T soy or tamari sauce

1t red pepper flakes

Bring coconut milk to a simmer, turn off heat, stir in remaining ingredients.  Pour over kale and refrigerate for ~ 4 hours stirring occasionally.  Grill over med high for 1-2 minutes per side.  We made steak with it and I put it on after the steak came off.  Some pieces came out really crispy, some were still really green.  The best pieces were the ones that were just starting to crisp up.  Bitter, sweet, spicy and smoky all at once.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I make a pasta with kale and feta...

saute 1 chopped onion

saute 1 bunch chopped kale

combine with cooked pasta and crumble in feta to taste

My brother adds red pepper flakes to it...but I think it is tasty just plain...I don't even add salt since the feta is pretty salty.

Jazz hands!

I LOVE kale. Here's two things I recently did with it:

From Epicurious

• 1/2 cup French (small) green lentils
                • 2 cups water
                • 3/4 teaspoon salt
                • 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
                • 1 large onion, finely chopped (2 cups)
                • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
                • 3/4 pound kale (preferably Tuscan; sometimes labeled "lacinato")
                • 3/4 pound dried short pasta

Simmer lentils in water (2 cups) with 1/4 teaspoon salt in a 1- to 1 1/2-quart saucepan, uncovered, adding more water if necessary to keep lentils barely covered, until tender but not falling apart, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and season with salt.

While lentils simmer, heat 1/4 cup oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté onion with pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, stirring, 1 minute. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and golden (stir more frequently toward end of cooking), about 20 minutes. Remove lid and increase heat to moderate, then cook, stirring frequently, until onion is golden brown, 5 to 10 minutes more.

While onion cooks, cut out and discard stems and center ribs from kale. Cook kale in a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling salted water , uncovered, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer kale with tongs to a colander to drain, pressing lightly. Keep pot of water at a boil, covered.

Coarsely chop kale and add to onion along with lentils (including lentil-cooking liquid), then simmer, stirring, 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.

Add pasta to kale-cooking liquid and boil, uncovered, until al dente. Reserve about 1 cup pasta-cooking liquid, then drain pasta in a colander. Add pasta to lentil mixture along with about 1/3 cup of pasta-cooking liquid (or enough to keep pasta moist) and cook over high heat, tossing, 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons oil.

From The Kitchn

<big>Kale and Chicken Stew</big>
                Serves 6-8

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
                5 medium mixed potatoes; diced (I used Yukon gold, red and purple)
                1 teaspoon fresh thyme
                4 tablespoons olive oil
                Kosher salt
                freshly cracked black pepper

2 tablespoons olive oil
                1 medium onion; chopped
                1 large shallot; minced
                2 carrots; peeled and diced
                6 cups chicken stock
                2 sprigs fresh thyme
                2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese; finely grated
                5 cups chopped kale
                15-ounce can cannellini beans; drained
                salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the chicken breasts on a sheet pan. Rub with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. In a separate sheet pan, toss the potatoes with olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred the meat. Cover and set aside.

Warm the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and shallot and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the carrots and cook 15 minutes until softened. Add in chicken stock, thyme, chicken, potatoes, Parmesan, salt and pepper bring to a simmer. Add the kale and beans and simmer for another 20 minutes, until the kale is tender and the beans are hot.

run run run AHHHHHH run run run

A Saucy Wench

For the record I find Kale chips in the dehydrator >>>>>>>> to kale chips in the oven.  I think it is partially because i get my Kale from my CSA and the leaves are so tender you could eat them in salad if you wanted so they burn too easily in the oven.  It takes awhile but the house smells good.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7