A-Z Recipes

Sherried Gorgonzola Cream Sauce (Read 400 times)

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

We vacationed in Oregon last fall and ate at a great restaurant (recommended by a friend) that served Gorgonzola Pear Penne Pasta. It had a sherried Gorgonzola cream sauce and had dried cranberries, basil, fresh pears, and toasted Oregon hazelnuts. You had your choice of adding shrimp, scallops, or chicken (I voted for shrimp!). This was absolutely one of the best meals I have ever had. I'm going to try to recreate it, since the friend that told us about the restaurant is coming over for dinner. Anyone have anything close to this cream sauce? I've googled and gotten a few ideas, but if anyone has any experience with this, I would really appreciate it.
      It would be easy enough to re-create..... Base: Saute a couple shallotts and a few garlic cloves in a little olive oil, salt and pepper till turning browned, careful not to burn.... Add the Sherry Wine ( or dry white wine) about 1/2 cup, and allow to reduce by 1/2. Add 1 cup heavy creme, and about 3oz crumbled gorgonzola cheese and allow to melt into the sauce. The sauce will thicken and bubble, and if it's too thick, thin it out with Chicken stock so you don't lose any flavor. Then add whatever you want to it as far as your fresh herbs, or whatever..... Good Luck! Wink

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Thanks! I'm off to the store before the blizzard hits.
        jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Update: OMG! It was wonderful. Thank you RunCheffyRun for the sauce recipe. I cooked a pound of whole wheat penne pasta, added a handful of dried cranberries, pecans (I'm saving the hazelnuts for Wednesday night), 2 cut up Bosc pears, some cooked salmon (since I wanted to use it up), and some basil. Toss with the sauce. Next time I will add additional gorgonzola cheese, another pear, use shrimp instead of salmon, and double the sauce. Very fast and easy. Very unusual combination of flavors.

A Saucy Wench

What was the restaurant?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

http://www.roseannascafe.com/ I highly recommend it.
                Update: OMG! It was wonderful. Thank you RunCheffyRun for the sauce recipe. I cooked a pound of whole wheat penne pasta, added a handful of dried cranberries, pecans (I'm saving the hazelnuts for Wednesday night), 2 cut up Bosc pears, some cooked salmon (since I wanted to use it up), and some basil. Toss with the sauce. Next time I will add additional gorgonzola cheese, another pear, use shrimp instead of salmon, and double the sauce. Very fast and easy. Very unusual combination of flavors.
                Glad I could Help! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

A Saucy Wench

http://www.roseannascafe.com/ I highly recommend it.
                  Not exactly close to me, but not impossibly far. I'll keep it in mind if we get out to the coast. sometime.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Ennay, Great food. Some unusual dishes. Doesn't look too great from the outside and nothing fancy inside. We probably wouldn't have gone in if someone hadn't really recommended it. And there is not much else in that town! If you go and walk the beach, make sure you go through the tunnel. Not many people do, so you may have the beach to yourself on the other side!