A-Z Recipes

Homemade Pasta (Read 188 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

My mom got my 13-year-old son a pasta machine. We did an online search so I think we got a pretty good one. One weekend while I was away, the guys in our family tried to make some pasta and it didn't go so well. I would like to help my son try again. Do any of you have any suggestions for making pasta successfully? Keep in mind that I'm a domestically-challenged engineer! Big grin
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What pasta machine did you get?
      Teresadfp

One day at a time

Imperia. I don't see a model number or anything, but it says DAL 32.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow, that was fast! Yep.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You want to use high-protein flour or semolina. You want to plan on a mess. You want to make sure the dough is not too sticky and dust with flour every time it gets sticky. Use the medium to wide settings to run the dough through a number of times, folding between times. This essentially kneads the dough. When you finally run it through to cut it into noodles, you want the water already boiling. Get it all into the water ASAP. Plan on a huge pot with lots of water relative to the pasta. This will allow it to cook quickly and evenly. I almost always use the pasta machine to make raviolis rather than cut noodles. When I cut, I often cut with a knife rather than the machine. I find that the machine can get jammed up. Have fun. Take pictures.
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Ok, thanks, Trent. The boy will love making a mess! Maybe we should try ravioli first. Pictures are a good idea - I could send them to his grandmother, to make her happy she didn't have to participate in the project.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ravioli is a great way to start. They are very easy to overfill; be careful!
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

Oh, jeez, this will be interesting.
                    You want to use high-protein flour or semolina. You want to plan on a mess. You want to make sure the dough is not too sticky and dust with flour every time it gets sticky. Use the medium to wide settings to run the dough through a number of times, folding between times. This essentially kneads the dough. When you finally run it through to cut it into noodles, you want the water already boiling. Get it all into the water ASAP. Plan on a huge pot with lots of water relative to the pasta. This will allow it to cook quickly and evenly. I almost always use the pasta machine to make raviolis rather than cut noodles. When I cut, I often cut with a knife rather than the machine. I find that the machine can get jammed up. Have fun. Take pictures.
                    What He Said..... Smile I ALWAYS use semolina flour. the texture of the pasta is much lighter and very easy to work with. It's messy, but once you do it a few times, its really fun! Almost time for making Pumpkin Sage Ravioli! Wink

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS"