A-Z Recipes

So now what do I do with kale?? (Read 254 times)

Do I cook it? Just make a salad? I have no idea! Just so you know--I am not purposely going to the grocery and picking out things that I don't know how to use like Bok Choy and kale, they come in a weekly veggie basket I have delivered! I wanted to try new things, and this forces me to! Thank you!
      YUM.... One of my favorite Veggies! Tongue How To: You will want to cook your kale. It is very tough and chewy if eaten raw. Take the leaves away from the thick stem by running a knife along the edges, and removing the leaves. Then chop to whatever size you prefer. Ways to prepare: Braise in stock or broth, for extra flavor, for about 20 minutes, or until tender. Add a little sliced onion to the pot and it's a great side dish. From here you can put the cooked Kale in a casserole dish, and top with bread crumbs and/or parmesan cheese and heat till cheese is browned and bubbly.... very very good! Braise Kale with Lean Chicken Sausages and canned tomatoes, white beans and onion. simmer away on the stove and you have a very yummy one pot meal. Season with whatever favorite herbs you like, and serve with crusty whole grain bread to mop up the juices. Just a few Ideas, but you will love Kale, and it's chock full of vitamins all the good stuff. Enjoy it! Let us know what you did with it! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Wow, that all sounds fantastic! Thank you so much!
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Steam it. Chop it. Stew it in tomato broth for soup, tomato sauce for pasta or saute it in butter or oil to serve with beans and cornbread.
            Some more dumb questions-Cheffy-what does "braise" mean exactly? And Trent, if you could finish this sentence: while sautéing, you know your kale is done when....... Thanks again--you guys are very helpful!
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

while sautéing, you know your kale is done when.......you are hungry...really...I usually sautee until it smells good, is somewhat wilted and there are a few burnt or crispy sections. Braise : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braising
                while sautéing, you know your kale is done when.......you are hungry...really...I usually sautee until it smells good, is somewhat wilted and there are a few burnt or crispy sections. Braise : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braising
                Thanks! I have ingredients for ALL of these suggestions-but since my husband is the cook I will give these options to him and let him make what he wants. Last time he asked me how he would know when the bok choy was done...and since I stared at him blankly, I thought it best to be prepared this time!
                  Knifey - I bought kale last year and then I had to call my dad to figure out what to do with it. I was purposely going to the store and buying things I didnt know how to use so I would try new things and maybe get a few different vitamins in there. I ended up adding it to a veg and tofu stir-fry towards the end. (Like when you would add spinach.) It was quite tasty.
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

We eat a bunch of kale, it is forgiving and easy. It can be a touch bitter, just steam or stew the heck out of it.
                      Ate the kale last night! It was tasty! DH cooked it-not sure what he did (and I don't care enough about cooking to ask)-but it seemed to be cooked with onions then he baked it with parmesan and breadcrumbs-had that with beans and corn bread-it was so good! Thanks again! Smile
                        Ate the kale last night! It was tasty! DH cooked it-not sure what he did (and I don't care enough about cooking to ask)-but it seemed to be cooked with onions then he baked it with parmesan and breadcrumbs-had that with beans and corn bread-it was so good! Thanks again! Smile
                        You are most welcome! and to Trent who is the other " Chef" on this site..... Wink I grow kale in the garden for my winter crops, and it's really great.... does well even through the freezes that we have had here. It will become a regular favorite of yours I am sure! Best, Sandy

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

You all convinced me to try kale, so for lunch today I sauteed (in evoo) a cup of kale, 3 oz of spinach, 1 c of broccoli. I then added a cup of home-stewed tomatoes. Wow, what flavor and color! Even better, when I added up the calcium in the food, I skipped taking my calcium supplement! Thanks!
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

jb, sounds yummy. Kale or greens stewed with tomatoes makes a nice combination!
                            jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

What other greens do you recommend? I eat relatively healthy, but am always looking for new things. And I would love to NOT rely on calcium supplements since I usually forget to take them anyway.
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

All greens. Kale and collards take a bit of getting used to. So do cabbages and brussels sprouts. All are yummy, but they have stronger flavors. Chard, especially rainbow chard, is lovely, yummy and easy to cook. Spinach is a fine fine choice, relatively cheap and easy to get fresh most of the year. Go out and play!