Arizona Runners

Advice needed - half or full marathon? (Read 347 times)

kelsalynn

Hey Everyone... I'm finally back on RunningAhead. I've been working out and running the past few months, but I haven't logged on and posted about it in some time. I decided it's about time to get with the running program again so here I am. I need some advice. I was planning on signing up for the PF Chang's HALF marathon in January. My longest run to date is 10 miles. Just last week I ran 6 miles one day and the week before I ran 5 miles (plus a bunch of two, three, or four milers). To be honest, considering that there's about 5 months left until the PF Chang's event, I'm really not worried about being ready to run the half marathon. I've never done it before, but I know I could, I just never put myself to an "official" test before. So it got me thinking, should I just sign up for the full and start training for that? I'm curious what you guys think. I read about people all the time who decide randomly one day to run a marathon and they've barely run before. Here I am, I run about 10-14 miles per week and there's 5 months to go and I'm thinking about doing the half? Seems like the "easy way out" maybe? LET'S HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS!!!

running yogi

Having run the full before with Team In Training, I would say the half. I ran it when I did not know much about running or training. After being on coolrunning and runningahead for something I have learnt a thing or two about training. If you want to do it injury free, I would say the half. Just my 2 cent. Good luck.

Maniac

Most on here will say you need more of a base, etc., etc.  And they are probably right.  However, what do you WANT to do? 

I will say that running the half has been fun the past 3 years.  A ton of people out there....Good times. 

If you run the half this year, the full will be there next year.

Either way...Good luck!!

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

Are you running the half this year Redbrird?

Maniac

Are you running the half this year Redbrird?

Nah...Going for the full....We'll see how that goes.

You?

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

thinking the half - not sure of that either lol
              jpnairn

straw man

I will probably do the full again, but so far, I'm not registered.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry