Beginners and Beyond

B&B 2021 Miles Game (Read 51 times)

Cyberic

We'll see if we go through the whole year with this.

• Game is individual
    • Players’ weekly target is simply the average of their last 3 years. Since there are not exactly 52 weeks in a year, I divide the yearly miles average by 365 (screw the leap years) and multiply that by 7. That is each player's weekly target.
    • Scoring per week ranges from 0 to 20 points like this:
      • If you hit your weekly mileage you get 10 points
      • You get 1 extra point for each 10% completed over your goal, to a max of 100% (or 10 extra points)
      • You lose a point for each 10% under target.
      • Examples below
    • Game admins are me, sdWhiskers, KCRuns and Docket_Rocket
    • Whenever I'm in charge of a week, there is no obligation to post your miles, I can check the logs, but it would be appreciated if they were posted here.
    • Whenever someone else is in charge of a week, their week=their rules (on posting your miles)
    • We use one decimal for the weekly miles.
    • Weeks are from Monday to Sunday
    • Game starts on January 4th.

All of this is subject to change, of course.

Some scoring examples:

A runner has a 24 miles per week target, so extra points are added/substracted for each 2.4 miles above or below target

• 21 miles = 9 points  (difference of 3 miles)
    • 19 miles = 8 points (difference of 5 miles)
    • 26 miles = 10 points (difference of 2 miles)
    • 60 miles = 20 points (20 points is the max)

A runner has a 60 miles per week target, so extra points are added/substracted for each 6 miles above or below target

• 65 miles = 10 points (difference of 5 miles)
    • 50 miles = 8 points (difference of 15 miles)
    • 80 miles = 13 points (difference of 20 miles)

Runner 2018 2019 2020 Average year Target per week in 2021
    Baboon 1671 2093 2517 2093.67 40
    BerthaSlayer 1254 1471 1501 1408.67 27
    Bluerun 1567 2211 2271 2016.33 38
    Cyberic 3510 3729 3815 3684.67 70
    DavePNW 1664 2683 3250 2532.33 48
    Docket_Rocket 2492 2035 2404 2310.33 44
    FreeSoul87 551 1291 1876 1239.33 23
    GinnyinPA 1890 2025 1965 1960.00 37
    Half Crazy K 2.0 1594 1475 1310 1459.67 27
    KCRuns 1526 991 1215 1244.00 23
    Lauren 1358 2932 1074 1788.00 34
    LRB 2094 2704 2219 2339.00 44
    Onemile 2700 2999 2783 2827.33 54
    RunningOnSand 1769 1778 540.3 1362.43 26
    Fredford66 1839 1760 1850 1816.33 34
    sdWhiskers 1819 2003 2224 2015.33 38
    wcrunner2 1526 2107 2147 1926.67 36

Consistency points

The standard deviation percentage from your target is also calculated. You want your weeks to be close together, and therefore a low standard deviation percentage is what you're looking for.

At the end of the year the results will be given in three ways:

1. The best score just by the miles
    2. The more consistent runners
    3. An overall score

The runner with the best consistency score will get 100 points added to his/her miles score for the overall score.

2nd most consistent will get 90 points

3rd will get 80 points, and so on.

Docket_Rocket

Nice! Thanks for starting this. Let me know if/when you want us to sticky this thread to the top!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Half Crazy K 2.0

If you are not at your goal but not 10% under, do you get 0 points?

Thanks for setting this up!

Cyberic

If you are not at your goal but not 10% under, do you get 0 points?

Thanks for setting this up!

Could you give me an example with numbers? Not sure I understand the question. I know the answer is NO, the only way to get 0 points is by running 0. If my formula is correct, running a mere 1 mile in your week will give you 1 point.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Could you give me an example with numbers? Not sure I understand the question. I know the answer is NO, the only way to get 0 points is by running 0. If my formula is correct, running a mere 1 mile in your week will give you 1 point.

I based my 2021 weekly goal on 26.2 miles per week. I ran more in 2018 and 2019 than this year, so for this game, my weekly goal is likely to be right around 28 miles. If I consistently hit the 26.2 and not 28, the difference is 1.8 miles, so less than 10%.

I guess a better way to ask it, does it count as reaching your goal if you are within +/-9.99%.

KCRuns

I don't mind checking people's logs, there aren't a lot of us in this forum, so it's pretty easy; however, you need to make sure you have shared your log with people in this forum.  If you don't want to share your log, then you will need to post or message your weekly mileage for it to count.

We need to set a deadline for having miles posted (either here or to your log).  It may be easiest to say by Tuesday night to follow what people already do who play the 2021 in 2021 game.

KCRuns

I was thinking of extra "consistency" points, but Excel is a shitty system to program in. I was thinking something like a rolling 3 weeks of hitting your goal is 1 extra point, and an rolling 6 weeks would be worth 2 points ( or something like that). But, as I said, it would be too complicated to program that in Excel, so no consistency points.

What if you add a column that just counts the number of weeks hitting the goal and at the end of the year, the top 3 most consistent people get bonus points added to their final total?  Then you just have to add it once at the end.  If people tie for most number of consistent weeks, then they all get extra points.  Maybe something like 30 points for first place, 20 for second and 10 for third?

Cyberic

I based my 2021 weekly goal on 26.2 miles per week. I ran more in 2018 and 2019 than this year, so for this game, my weekly goal is likely to be right around 28 miles. If I consistently hit the 26.2 and not 28, the difference is 1.8 miles, so less than 10%.

I guess a better way to ask it, does it count as reaching your goal if you are within +/-9.99%.

Exactly. If your target is 28, you’d need to run 25.2 miles to hit 9 points, so yes, if you’re within +/- 2.7 miles you get 10 points. 

Your understanding is correct.

onemile

Maybe we should all throw in 10 bucks so that when DaveP wins he can buy a pair of Vaporflies

Cyberic

What if you add a column that just counts the number of weeks hitting the goal and at the end of the year, the top 3 most consistent people get bonus points added to their final total?  Then you just have to add it once at the end.  If people tie for most number of consistent weeks, then they all get extra points.  Maybe something like 30 points for first place, 20 for second and 10 for third?

Interesting, but I’ll think it through. Maybe I will put the effort in for a rolling consistency weeks scoring... If not, your suggestion is worthy.

I see this as an experiment. At the end of the year, I’ll be able to play around with the scoring, see how different scorings would affect the standings based on what people ran.

Cyberic

Maybe we should all throw in 10 bucks so that when DaveP wins he can buy a pair of Vaporflies

Hahahahahaha! 

Cyberic

About the deadline... I never understood why the deadline was so late? Don’t people just automatically upload their runs to the RA log? My miles are always up to date, unless Garmin or RA has an issue...

sdWhiskers

Thanks for not including extra points for races. As I live in the state which will bring back races last amongst all of us...

sdWhiskers

About the deadline... I never understood why the deadline was so late? Don’t people just automatically upload their runs to the RA log? My miles are always up to date, unless Garmin or RA has an issue...

It's also weird for the RA game that the deadline is 7pm for CA 

Docket_Rocket

It's also weird for the RA game that the deadline is 7pm for CA 

But it is on a Tuesday for the prior week so it's an extra two days to post your miles from Monday to Sunday midnight your time. The 7pm is mostly because 10pm EST is the deadline so results are up at 11pm.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page