Beginners and Beyond

B&B 2021 Miles Game (Read 51 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Thanks for not including extra points for races. As I live in the state which will bring back races last amongst all of us...

I always felt slighted by that because I could never get a point that way, even winning my AG,  unless no on else ran the race distance.  Besides the ultra distances I usually raced weren't considered for points.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Cyberic

Ideally, I'd like it if there was no hard time limit to post your miles. I think pretty much everybody here post their miles fast, and if the weekly standing comes out, and someone had not posted their miles, well unless it's too frequent and we're tired of dealing with it, I say we just give the person his/her miles, and the standing is updated. The idea is to get points for miles run, and not be stressed about rules.

GinnyinPA

For me, it's better if there is no hard rule for when to post. I upload here when I upload to Garmin, which is most days that I run outside, but when we're on the road and camping I often am not near a computer for a week or more. It would be nice if I can get credit  for past weeks when I do have access to a computer again. (Assuming that we will be able to travel again this summer, but who knows?)

Anyhow, thanks for figuring out a game we can play that's easy to understand.

KCRuns

Ideally, I'd like it if there was no hard time limit to post your miles. I think pretty much everybody here post their miles fast, and if the weekly standing comes out, and someone had not posted their miles, well unless it's too frequent and we're tired of dealing with it, I say we just give the person his/her miles, and the standing is updated. The idea is to get points for miles run, and not be stressed about rules.

I get that.  Okay. Then it would be up to the person to reach out and have their miles added if the worksheet was already updated for that week. That way it’s easy for the admins, too.

Interesting, but I’ll think it through. Maybe I will put the effort in for a rolling consistency weeks scoring... If not, your suggestion is worthy.

Just calculate standard deviations—lowest gets the consistency points!

Dave

Maybe we should all throw in 10 bucks so that when DaveP wins he can buy a pair of Vaporflies

I approve this message. It just so happens 3 years takes into account 2018 when I was out for 4 months and ran 1664 miles. 

Dave

Cyberic

Just calculate standard deviations—lowest gets the consistency points!

Ooohhh! That would be simple enough with Excel!

ETA: For those who don't know,

The standard deviation is the average amount of variability in your dataset. It tells you, on average, how far each value lies from the mean.

A high standard deviation means that values are generally far from the mean, while a low standard deviation indicates that values are clustered close to the mean.

In simple terms, the more consistent your weekly mileage is, the better: (59, 61, 60, 60 is better than 40, 80, 70, 50 even though the average is 60 in both cases). The idea is to reward consistency.

The bonus points (to come) should be awarded by standard deviation percentage I think. As Onemile mentioned a higher mileage runner will have a harder time getting extra points because the extra points are given on a percentage of your goal, so in the same fashion, standard deviation should be compared as a percentage of everyone's weekly goal.

Cyberic

Ok, I thought about it on my run and I decided with how the consistency score would work. I edited the original post to add everyone's miles target, and how the scoring would work. I'm posting it here also.

Runner 2018 2019 2020 Average year Target per week in 2021
                  Baboon 1671 2093 2517 2093.67 40
                  BerthaSlayer 1254 1471 1501 1408.67 27
                  Bluerun 1567 2211 2271 2016.33 38
                  Cyberic 3510 3729 3815 3684.67 70
                  DavePNW 1664 2683 3250 2532.33 48
                  Docket_Rocket 2492 2035 2404 2310.33 44
                  FreeSoul87 551 1291 1876 1239.33 23
                  GinnyinPA 1890 2025 1965 1960.00 37
                  Half Crazy K 2.0 1594 1475 1310 1459.67 27
                  KCRuns 1526 991 1215 1244.00 23
                  Lauren 1358 2932 1074 1788.00 34
                  LRB 2094 2704 2219 2339.00 44
                  Onemile 2700 2999 2783 2827.33 54
                  RuningOnSand 1769 1778 540.3 1362.43 26
                  Runshortii 1803 1360 1033 1398.67 26
                  sdWhiskers 1819 2003 2224 2015.33 38
                  wcrunner2 1526 2107 2147 1926.67 36

Consistency points

The standard deviation percentage from your target is also calculated. You want your weeks to be close together, and therefore a low standard deviation percentage is what you're looking for.

At the end of the year the results will be given in three leaderboards:

1. The best score just by the miles
                  2. The more consistent runners
                  3. An overall score

The runner with the best consistency score will get 100 points added to his/her miles score for the overall score.

2nd most consistent will get 90 points

3rd will get 80 points, and so on.

Why 100 points?

• It's a nice round number
                  • It's close to 20% of a year in which you'd make 10 points every week (520 points), which means it can make a difference.

But since it's all for fun, and we want as many winners as we can, we will have 3 leaderboards as stated above.

onemile

omg DaveP only has to run 48 mpw 

Docket_Rocket

omg DaveP only has to run 48 mpw 

I noticed you are the highest after Cy, so git, ha!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

I approve this message. It just so happens 3 years takes into account 2018 when I was out for 4 months and ran 1664 miles. 

Seriously you should recalculate my goal to eliminate that year.

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I noticed you are the highest after Cy, so git, ha!

Onemile has to run 54.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

Seriously you should recalculate my goal to eliminate that year.

That what averages are for. Wink

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

That what averages are for. Wink

But that was a significant outlier.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

My 2019 mileage was as well. Just run more this year to increase it. Wink

Damaris

Fundraising Page