Beginners and Beyond

Red Eye ThursDAILIES (Read 31 times)

LRB

NyQuil makes a sleep aid, ZzzQuil, which I tried last night. It knocked my stupid ass right out for the first half of the night then of course, I was back to my off again, on again, sleep, not sleep routine for the rest of the night.

We'll see how things feel for the rest of the day before I give it a score but I am leaning towards a favorable number because during the times when I was out, I was OUT.

No more marathons

Why is that? I always figured that the idea behind strides was to get your feet turning at high speed without stressing your body too much. If that is correct, then why would very long recoveries be "wrong"?  I know the way I do them is not the way people typically do them, but I figure I get the same results. If I don't, then I probably don't really get the idea behind strides. Oh, and by the way I do them during the run. I start them randomly on a stretch of road I find appealing. I accelerate, count 45 steps (15 secs) then decelerate to easy pace. I do another one when I find another appealingstretch of road Smile

Continuing yesterday's stride discussion.

This is consistent with the approach used by my coach with Hudson.  The strides always came with "full recovery" between.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

delicate flower

Hello, beautiful internet friends.  Another day, another swim (2600 yards).  Tempo run after work before meeting friends for dinner.

<3

onemile

I ran 8

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Went to Orange Theory and ran 1.95 there on their Power Day (fast, faster, recovery, etc.)  Pilates and 6 tonight.

Pfitz does say in his book there is no wrong way to do them.  His explanation makes it sound like he recommends runners to do them during the run, but at the end of an easy or recovery run, and with plenty of rest in between.  He recommends 100m to 200m between repetitions as rest.  I usually do them like that, stride, finish the 0.25 I'm running as rest and repeat, doing 4 per mile and I do them at the end of the run (last 2-3 miles).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

bluerun

Super B****

25 trainer miles.  I am so not happy to be back.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

6 miles.

And don't anyone listen to me about strides (or anything about training methods for that matter). I'm just parroting what I've read about them in multiple independent sources; I don't know the physiology behind it, so can't comment on the actual benefit of different ways of doing it.

Dave

Cyberic

The way you guys describe them is pretty much what I've read: at the end of a run, find a nice stretch and run it 8-10 times by accelerating and decelerating easily and reaching pretty fast speed. Then go easily back to the starting point, by walking or jogging very easy, and repeat.

But, I do them my way and still call them strides, coz I'm anticonformist like that Smile

LRB

I jogged for 4 miles.

I'm not even sure how I pulled it off with that crap in my system but I did. I certainly won't be taking any tonight though, that's for sure.

LRB

My run put me over 10k miles (I was at 9,999 before it) and I found myself completely unmoved by it as most of my peers surpassed the milestone long ago. I should have too but have never really gone any length of time without a stint on the bench. So I guess the surprise is not that I did it, but that I've been stupid enough to keep at it long enough to do it. lol

Docket_Rocket

My run put me over 10k miles (I was at 9,999 before it) and I found myself completely unmoved by it as most of my peers surpassed the milestone long ago. I should have too but have never really gone any length of time without a stint on the bench. So I guess the surprise is not that I did it, but that I've been stupid enough to keep at it long enough to do it. lol

Congrats?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Well it's a nice milestone anyway, so congrats. Although I was not particularly moved when I hit it either. Lifetime miles is not nearly as significant to me as a PB for week/month/year, or of course race times. Because someone's running lifetime is kind of a random time period over which to measure mileage. More noteworthy for a much higher total, like 50k or something, which says you have been very consistent over a very long period of time.

Dave

onemile

Your peers are freaks

Dave

LRB

Your peers are freaks

You would know, Ms. Fifteen nine eighty four.