Beginners and Beyond

Winter Weather WednesDAILIES (Read 45 times)

StepbyStep-SH

No school in Wisconsin today because of -40* windchills (or at least nearly that cold).

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

StepbyStep-SH

SRD. My knee felt fine after yesterday's run ... until I tried to show my son how to do a proper push-up, and having that leg straight and (supposedly) stabilizing caused the knee to collapse in and now it hurts. :grumblegrumblegrumble:

In other fun news today, DS has a dentist appointment to have two baby teeth extracted so he can get expanders next month, and I think I may have pink eye.

Hoping you all have warmer, more fun days that us!

Cyberic

No school in Wisconsin today because of -40* windchills (or at least nearly that cold).

I would have loved being a kid in Wisconsin. Big grin Here schools don't close because of cold. When they do close it's because of dangerous road conditions. And my kids don't even have that chance as I live in Montreal now, and my kids' school has never been closed in winter.

StepbyStep-SH

I would have loved being a kid in Wisconsin. Big grin Here schools don't close because of cold. When they do close it's because of dangerous road conditions. And my kids don't even have that chance as I live in Montreal now, and my kids' school has never been closed in winter.

Last year was the first time it happened, I think. I don't know if there was a lawsuit somewhere over kids standing in the cold waiting for a bus, or what triggered it. But there are schools in states all over closed because of the cold today, even where the windchills aren't this bad.

Cyberic

Added a few screws in strategic spots under my shoes. Gonna try them going to work today (walking to work, that is). I know, lily, I'm a geek.

Probably 5 miles easy, inside, today. I don't know the exact temp outside, but it qualifies as cold. I think it will stay that way well into next week. Sigh.

delicate flower

Good morning, Frozen America!  More treadmill for me today!  I did 50 minutes of easy running on it yesterday.  Coach has me running for time instead of distance, which is nice when running on the treadmill because I don't feel the need to run faster just to get the miles done.  Today calls for an hour.

<3

LRB

SRD. My knee felt fine after yesterday's run ... until I tried to show my son how to do a proper push-up, and having that leg straight and (supposedly) stabilizing caused the knee to collapse in and now it hurts. :grumblegrumblegrumble: 

I have been dealing with my left knee collapsing inward periodically for about a year now. After pulling my hair to no avail trying to figure out what is causing it I recently have attributed it to the repetitive motion of getting in and out of my work vehicle (which is low to the ground) placing my full weight on my leg and knee while it's in a disadvantageous position.

I am not sure that is it but it's the only thing left that it could be.

I now get out of that car like an old man would, by placing two feet on the ground first then standing up. I reverse the motion to get in it, sitting down first then turning my legs to get in. 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Right now we have pretty good weather in San Antonio - 47 degrees, no wind, mild.  This is going to change pretty drastically by this afternoon and tomorrow, though.  Temp will be in the 50s but the wind will be blowing 20 to 25 mph giving us a feels-like temp of much colder.  By tomorrow we will be in the 30s and will STAY in the 30s until sometime Saturday.      Guess I should have run this morning, but I had to get to work early, as I am leaving early to take Sinatra to the vet.  Poor cat has had a time of it...he got into something or other outside and now has stuff breaking out on his skin.   So off to the doc he goes.  After that I will brave those winds and get some miles in at a local park.

Nice run yesterday at the university where I work.  Did a rare lunch-time run and the weather was sweet....in the 50s, sunny, no wind.  Ended up with 3.5 miles.   The only problem was that I forget to pack my shin brace  so by the time I got done the spot where the 'dent' in my shin is was letting me know about it!  Luckily I keep an ice pack at work, so iced that puppy down after getting back to the office and today it feels fine.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

My boss is from Wisconsin.  She says she does not miss the winter there!  Dang, Step,  stay safe!

Little Blue

I now get out of that car like an old man would, by placing two feet on the ground first then standing up. I reverse the motion to get in it, sitting down first then turning my legs to get in. 

I was going to suggest you try it like a woman wearing a skirt. Same motion.

A few miles for me later today when it warms up.  25-ish right now, closer to 40 this afternoon.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I see lots of treadmill days in my future. Most sidewalks are not cleared and if they were there is a thin sheet of ice.

Maryland had delays for cold last year. It was not below zero. The new Baltimore city schools CEO is fr Michigan. It sounds like he feels the schools should open when safe and yesterday was safe. Plus the kiddos need supervision. Kinda hard to have that supervision when all traffic is gridlocked. Hopefully he learns snow freaks the natives out.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

My "aunt" died December 30.  She was not actually a blood relative, but was one of my late mom's best friends and our families were very close and always doing things together, so she was "Aunt" to me, along with my mom's other best friend, Sybil" with whom my Mom also grew up.  My mom - who worked for the Washington Post -  died in 2012, Aunt Sybil died a few years before that, and now the last of the 3 is gone too.  So the 'three lady musketeers' are reunited now in Heaven.    Washington Post, CIA...this is the kind of 'environment' I grew up in...probably explains a lot about me, lol...

My Aunt Patsy, as you can tell from her obit...was quite a character!   She worked for the CIA...and could never really tell us what she actually did, lol. She was also a cookbook author, an artist, and a musician.   Her daughter, Valerie, was one of my first girlfriends, way back when I was very young, almost before time began...

Patricia Diane MINNOCH

1932 - 2015 | Obituary |

Patricia Diane Minnoch, 82, died peacefully in the arms of her husband on December 30, 2014, at home in Jupiter Inlet Colony, Florida. Patricia was born April 20, 1932, in Washington, DC, the daughter of Arnold and Mary Ida Eller. She graduated from Falls Church High School, Virginia (Honors) and graduated from Strayer Business College (Honors). She also attended Northern Virginia Community College and the University of Virginia. Patricia was a creative and talented person - artist, gourmet cook, author, editor, and an accomplished pianist. Her career in the Central Intelligence Agency took her abroad to numerous assignments in South America, Europe, and Asia. She retired from the agency in 1996 and relocated to Jupiter Inlet Colony with her husband John. She was an active member and pianist at the Cornerstone Presbyterian Church, Palm Beach Gardens. Her experiences in different cultures influenced her unusual cooking skills. She published a cook book and authored recipes for magazines, such as Woman's Day. Throughout her travels she became a self-taught portrait artist. Patricia is survived by her husband, John; her children Chris Kriesten (Gretchen), Valerie Garman (Dennis), Stephen Kriesten (Cheryl), and Leslie Richards (Scott); stepsons John Minnoch (Egda) and James Minnoch (Miho); 12 grandchildren and 3 great-grandchildren. Patricia will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery with a memorial service announced at that time.

Cyberic

As I got older, my 6'6" frame got tired of getting into and out of cars: knees, back... I now have a RAV4. Small enough for parking in the streets of Montreal, All Wheel Drive under 25 MPH which is perfect to park on the snowy and icy street sides, I have better vision of the road while driving, and my knees and back thank me for it everytime I get in and out. Wouldn't go back to a car.

But I understand you own a truck, and the car is your work vehicle, right? Can't do much about that.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Pilates after work and that is it.

There is always an asshole in every group.  Look South!  Feel like 90s expected.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

As I got older, my 6'6" frame got tired of getting into and out of cars: knees, back... I now have a RAV4. Small enough for parking in the streets of Montreal, All Wheel Drive under 25 MPH which is perfect to park on the snowy and icy street sides, I have better vision of the road while driving, and my knees and back thank me for it everytime I get in and out. Wouldn't go back to a car.

But I understand you own a truck, and the car is your work vehicle, right? Can't do much about that.

Wow.  I did not know you were that tall.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page