Beginners and Beyond

How do you fuel/hydrate during your long runs? (Read 134 times)

robinde

I haven't yet needed to worry about hydrating or fueling during my runs.  So far they haven't gone longer than 80 minutes.  I am training for a HM in April and a full in May.  I would like to start practicing my hydration and fuel routine.  I'm a little over whelmed by the options.  Can you do it solely with Gatorade?  Do you need gels or chews?  How many and how often?  Do you mix sports drinks with gels?  Please share how and what you use to keep yourself moving on those long runs.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

On exceptionally hot days, I'll take a bottle of water. Normally I don't drink or eat anything. Even racing a HM, I didn't drink any water or eat anything. The only time I've "fueled" is when marathon training, runs of 16+ miles, I'd take a granola bar. I was never into gels and any of that stuff.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Docket_Rocket

You can do it with only Gatorade, but you need to think what you'll be using during the HM.  Can you carry the amount of Gatorade you would need on the race?  I prefer gels for anything longer than 11 miles but fuel very different while running as compared to racing.  For runs over 11 miles, I have a gel ever 5-6 miles while during races *like HMs and marathons* I use them every 4.5 miles.

I have mixed Powerade and gels during races.  I took a Powerade cup on every mile of my marathon except Mile 10 (I had a gel), 11, and 12 (I drank water) and the same at miles 20-22.  It worked for me on that day but I'd never tried that before.

You do not NEED fuel if you train your body to run without.  Having said that, I find that although that is true during LRs, I do need gels during HMs and marathons to perform to the best of my ability.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

So far with my longest run being around 2 hours I haven't bothered with fueling or hydration. I'll start to be concerned about that once I'm at 2:30 or longer or when temps eventually get warm.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

happylily

So far with my longest run being around 2 hours I haven't bothered with fueling or hydration. I'll start to be concerned about that once I'm at 2:30 or longer or when temps eventually get warm.

Same here. Except if it's really hot. Then, I will drink water as needed. This usually mean every 5 miles or so in training.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

slowrunningjulie

I take nothing with me for runs under 10 miles, although I do run in a park where I know the locations of the water fountains and usually stop a couple of times to drink. For runs 10 miles or longer, I take water and GU. I average 1 GU every 5 miles or so.

I personally would not mix sports drinks with gels, both because of taste (I like Chocolate Outrage GU and red Gatorade, and I can't imagine they would taste very good together) and because some people report that this upsets their stomach. Water works fine for me with the gels. I usually have some Gatorade after my run for any run over an hour.

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

Just B.S.

Same here. Except if it's really hot. Then, I will drink water as needed. This usually mean every 5 miles or so in training.

Same for me. I usually don't even think about taking a gel or food with me on a run less than 14 or 15 miles.

I just make sure I have a good dinner the night before and my pre-race/pre-long run breakfast meal is always

the same.......bagel with peanut butter and a small bowl of oatmeal/soy drink........takes me thru 15 miles or so

just fine with no in-run food needed.

I usually don't take water on runs 13 miles or less during cold months. In the summer I will bring water and also

stash some if necessary.

I will use gels over 15 miles but never mix with sports drinks....they turn my stomach

delicate flower

I carry nothing for runs under two hours, unless it's hot out in which case I carry a handheld water bottle.  For my marathon training LR's of 16 miles and up, I'll carry Perpetuem and take in a few hundred calories of it during the run.

<3

SheCan

Usually only take water for runs over 2 hours.  Other than water, I've never taken any additional calories for a half marathon.  I've ran several marathons and have had some issues with fueling--- like it does something weird with my blood sugar.   Right now I'm training for a marathon in about a month, and I'm thinking of bringing crackers w/peanut butter or a granola bar on my next long run (and water of course.)

During the summer time and warm weather, however, I do need much more water, and often bring it even on shorter 7+ runs, just in case.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

robinde

I was wondering if I was over complicating it in my head.  I like hearing that you really don't need much except fluids.

SheCan

I was wondering if I was over complicating it in my head.  I like hearing that you really don't need much except fluids.

I think we all do that sometimes!  Smile  Plus, I've been running for quite a while, and have adjusted to not taking in a lot.  It's individual.  Do what feels right for your body.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Wandering Wally

I don't use anything for half marathon distance or less.  During the race I MAY slow up at one aid station for a little water depending on how I feel.  More than HM distance and I need something.  So, I'll carry a 25 ounce handheld of plain water or Gatorade.  I'm still experimenting with snacks.  My innards rebel after two gels, so those are out.  I definitely don't like gummy things or chews.  As I extend my long runs over the next few months I will experiment with cut up PB&J sandwiches, M&M's, homemade energy bites and other assorted real food.

I guess it comes back to being an experiment of 1.  Find what works for you and stick with it.  How do you do that?  Find what doesn't work and don't do that anymore.  So, on your long runs try some different things and see what you like and what agrees with you.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

You might find out how your races are set up, for aid station frequency & gel. Then you can try to simulate on your training runs. For example if their aid stations are every 2 miles, you might try stopping for water/gatorade (either one, or mix) every 4 miles. If they provide GU at mile 8, 16, etc., try that. If your training involves multiple times around a loop, it can be convenient to leave water/gatorade bottles in an inconspicuous spot on your route, rather than running with them.

Dave

xor

Drink when you are thirsty.  If you aren't thirsty, don't drink.

For training runs, I don't take anything these days for stuff shorter than two hours when it is not super hot.  When it is hot... and for stuff longer than a couple hours... I carry a handheld and drink as needed.

As for races, here's a tip I wish someone would have given me a long time ago:  Just because they have an aid station doesn't mean you have to drink.  This is actually more important in races with tons of aid stations.  Don't feel the need to drink like a fish just because it is there.  If you aren't thirsty, skip it.

(then again... Boston 2012 was super hot... I was drinking two cups at every aid station past 12 miles...)

flarunner

I don't take anything with me on my runs. Since I run before dawn it's not that hot.

I do have the locations of bathrooms/water fountains/sinks/hoses/etc. mapped out for my runs.

During a race I normally take water at the aid stations mainly to rinse out my mouth. I've become pretty good at grabbing the cup, pour some out, pinch the top, splash some in my mouth, and throw to the side on the run.

Whatever you decide to do, start practicing it now so that it will be second nature come race day.