Beginners and Beyond

Perfect Weather for Wednesday Penguins (Read 23 times)

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Considering schools are closing in our area due to blowing snow and -10 and lower windchills, isn't that perfect weather for penguins?  I think so.  LOL

I took today off but hit the treadmill the last 2 mornings before work.  Not much else to report except the new job going well.   2 days in and they want me back must be a good sign.  LOL

Have a great day!

Docket_Rocket

You should have said: Perfect Weather Nowhere but Miami.  We might hit feels like 90F today, which is why I am happy not to have anything but Pilates.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Right now we have pretty good weather in San Antonio - 47 degrees, no wind, mild.  This is going to change pretty drastically by this afternoon and tomorrow, though.  Temp will be in the 50s but the wind will be blowing 20 to 25 mph giving us a feels-like temp of much colder.  By tomorrow we will be in the 30s and will STAY in the 30s until sometime Saturday.      Guess I should have run this morning, but I had to get to work early, as I am leaving early to take Sinatra to the vet.  Poor cat has had a time of it...he got into something or other outside and now has stuff breaking out on his skin.   So off to the doc he goes.  After that I will brave those winds and get some miles in at a local park.

Nice run yesterday at the university where I work.  Did a rare lunch-time run and the weather was sweet....in the 50s, sunny, no wind.  Ended up with 3.5 miles.   The only problem was that I forget to pack my shin brace  so by the time I got done the spot where the 'dent' in my shin is was letting me know about it!  Luckily I keep an ice pack at work, so iced that puppy down after getting back to the office and today it feels fine.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

This is for HsM:  The State Flower and State Bird of Virginia.....my apologies for Damarisizing you yesterday....what can I say...I'm getting old...I forget stuff.... what the HECK is my wife's name, again? 

PADRunner

Morning all, probably a URD for me toady over did it yesterday, 3 TM 3 group practice then a 4 mile memorial run.

Maybe try to get a couple after wok on the TM.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Quote from Jerryb49 on 1/6/2015 at 4:55 PM:

Sorry your having such awful weather Scotty.  Better get some warm PJs.

We will go up to +1 tomorrow, so we will stay inside again.  4 for us today.  Shin splints still there, but get better as I run.  Is that typical of shin splints?

No snow in the forecast and we only have a couple inches on the ground so its not too bad.

Umm, I don't even own a pair of PJs, lol...I actually sleep in...nothing!   Now let's see y'all get THAT image out of your head! 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

My "aunt" died December 30.  She was not actually a blood relative, but was one of my late mom's best friends and our families were very close and always doing things together, so she was "Aunt" to me, along with my mom's other best friend, Sybil" with whom my Mom also grew up.  My mom - who worked for the Washington Post -  died in 2012, Aunt Sybil died a few years before that, and now the last of the 3 is gone too.  So the 'three lady musketeers' are reunited now in Heaven.    Washington Post, CIA...this is the kind of 'environment' I grew up in...probably explains a lot about me, lol...

My Aunt Patsy, as you can tell from her obit...was quite a character!   She worked for the CIA...and could never really tell us what she actually did, lol. She was also a cookbook author, an artist, and a musician.   Her daughter, Valerie, was one of my first girlfriends, way back when I was very young, almost before time began...

Patricia Diane MINNOCH

1932 - 2015 | Obituary |

Patricia Diane Minnoch, 82, died peacefully in the arms of her husband on December 30, 2014, at home in Jupiter Inlet Colony, Florida. Patricia was born April 20, 1932, in Washington, DC, the daughter of Arnold and Mary Ida Eller. She graduated from Falls Church High School, Virginia (Honors) and graduated from Strayer Business College (Honors). She also attended Northern Virginia Community College and the University of Virginia. Patricia was a creative and talented person - artist, gourmet cook, author, editor, and an accomplished pianist. Her career in the Central Intelligence Agency took her abroad to numerous assignments in South America, Europe, and Asia. She retired from the agency in 1996 and relocated to Jupiter Inlet Colony with her husband John. She was an active member and pianist at the Cornerstone Presbyterian Church, Palm Beach Gardens. Her experiences in different cultures influenced her unusual cooking skills. She published a cook book and authored recipes for magazines, such as Woman's Day. Throughout her travels she became a self-taught portrait artist. Patricia is survived by her husband, John; her children Chris Kriesten (Gretchen), Valerie Garman (Dennis), Stephen Kriesten (Cheryl), and Leslie Richards (Scott); stepsons John Minnoch (Egda) and James Minnoch (Miho); 12 grandchildren and 3 great-grandchildren. Patricia will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery with a memorial service announced at that time.

Scott, sorry for your loss.

Today I'm headed for the Wild West. I have a meeting in Dodge City tomorrow. No running today, but packed bands to get an upper body workout in tonight. Tomorrow the weather sound daunting, but I really enjoy running in new places.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

Zelanie

Scotty, sorry for your loss.  She sounds like an incredible woman.

PAD- Is it really a URD if you already ran today's miles yesterday? Smile

Vance- Glad things are going well.

D- Enjoy the Pilates-only day and the time with your Dad.

Kathleen- Have a great trip!

We are back to robotics season, so I will run at the HS track while waiting to pick up DD.  There might be a group workout there, and I might run with them if there is.  Otherwise, it will be more slow miles.  I have gotten very slow with the increase in mileage since the start of the new year, but hopefully will get the hang of things soon.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  The head cold lingers, more for DH than for me.  At least it's down to being a minor annoyance.  And now for my good news -- I heard yesterday that my funding was released!  It had been approved, but we didn't have the final ok to actually spend the money, so there was still a chance that the state government might reallocate the funding.  But now I'm the proud owner of $756k to buy a new instrument!  Fun stuff!

Vance -- hey, dude!!  Glad the new job is going well!!

Docket -- well, we know you live in Hell.  If you're going to live in Hell, you have to expect Hellish temperatures.  Enjoy Pilates!!

Scotty -- you can skip me if you must, but your wife's name is GAIL!!  DON'T forget her!!!  Glad your shin was ok sans brace!!  Hope Sinatra is ok and it's just an allergy or something.

PAD -- hope you get to relax a little today!!

Scotty -- sorry to hear about your "aunt"!  

Kathleen -- have fun in Dodge City!!

Zelanie -- enjoy the nice slow miles!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

From the Internet.

Hi pens!

Sorry for your loss Scotty Sad Sounds like she had a really interesting life!

I had planned to get up super early for my midweek MLR but instead I slept through my alarm and got 11 hours of sleep altogether. Whoops. I hate winter. Was going to go out a few minutes ago, brought all my running gear to work but left my shoes at home, so I'll probably take off a little early to get in 4-5 miles at home before I have to pick up the kid and reschedule my 8 to tomorrow afternoon. Tomorrow morning is supposed to be -5F with windchills in the -20s, so I'll just get to work early and get enough stuff done to justify running during the warmest part of the day (18F and sunny, much more bearable).

Oh, and I met with my coach to discuss my next goal race (HM on May 17th). Have a loose plan worked out, will mostly involve increasing miles; since I'm comfortable with 10+ mile long runs, my mission is to slowly work my way up to 14-15 miles over the next few months, with midweek miles going up a bit to support that long run length.

Singer who runs a smidge

Clearly you needed the sleep!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

A quick check in for me. SRD. This is the last week of four days of running. Next week (and for the next sixteen) I will be on five days a week and a lot more mileage.  DW is also training and we will be making many, many grocery trips.

Scotty: Sorry about your aunt. Looking forward to the FE!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

2 mile track run for us.  Still congested.