Beginners and Beyond

RnR Las Vegas Marathon RR, aka Maybe a Person Lethally Allergic to Dustmites Should Not Have Chosen This Race (Read 445 times)

hog4life

Damaris, you are one tough lady, I don't see how you just keep pushing yourself.

Sorry you had a such tough day, D.  May the next one go 100 times better!

outoftheblue

Sorry you had a tough go of it.  I hope the lights down the strip were at least pretty to look at.

How crowded was the course? I've was pondering doing this race myself, but was afraid of a human traffic jam.  That, and the weird water issues last year.  

Life is good.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

D, congrats on your finish. That was a tough battle. I wanted to quit just reading it. You toughed it out despite the struggle, which is commendable.

I'm starting to get pissed off about your asthma as well. It seems that it doesn't want to let your body achieve what it is capable of achieving. 

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Docket_Rocket

At least I look like I had fun :-)

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

You know, with the dust and wind, I wonder if it would be useful to wear one of those surgical/breathing masks to filter out the dust. Might look silly, but if it helps a great deal, then it would be worth a try.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Docket_Rocket

Sorry you had a tough go of it.  I hope the lights down the strip were at least pretty to look at.

How crowded was the course? I've was pondering doing this race myself, but was afraid of a human traffic jam.  That, and the weird water issues last year.  

Not crowded.  The marathoners are not as many and we don't see the halfers until Mile 24 and we were separate by a cordoned "fence".

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

waterskimmer

Good on you for getting it done, and I hope there are no lingering repercussions!

Nevrgivup

Congrats on another marathon finish Damaris! The dust and sand sounded painful especially for someone with asthma. 

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

xor

I have run in windy and dusty conditions before without issue. It also depends on how my allergy is doing. I would have expected this last year but not this year when I am almost off allergy shots completely. I have also run in LV before and never experienced what I did last night. I guess the conditions were prime for an allergy induced attack. It passed quickly but the soreness and the stuff that comes with it lingered.

Sorry, that just sounds terrible.

My response was really more about the generic "I didn't expect it to be windy" (nobody seems to about that race, but it usually is) "or dusty".

One question though, do you usually run in the mornings or evenings... especially on your LV trips?  The whole evening aspect of that race changes the dynamics on lots of stuff... nutrition mostly, but I also imagine air quality.

Wow, way to tough it out and finish, you really are amazing. 

Docket_Rocket

Oops, sorry. Thought it was addressed to me. I run in the evenings so the 3pm start corresponded to my 6pm running time.

Sorry, that just sounds terrible.

My response was really more about the generic "I didn't expect it to be windy" (nobody seems to about that race, but it usually is) "or dusty".

One question though, do you usually run in the mornings or evenings... especially on your LV trips?  The whole evening aspect of that race changes the dynamics on lots of stuff... nutrition mostly, but I also imagine air quality.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

runmomto3boys

What an awful race, between the wind/dust, your asthma and allergies, this just didn't go well.  I'm so glad you are OK and that you finished in one piece.  You gutted it out, no doubt.  You seriously rocked that first 10K+ - we were tracking you and cheering you on.  SMOKING.  I can only imagine how it would've gone had the wind/dust situation had not have been present.  Great job on finishing, though, you maniac, you!!!

workinprogress11

I'm sorry it was so tough for you, but glad that you seem to have bounced back well.  I hope the next one is a lot more pleasant!

Vegan Ang

Formerly sdnyc99

Sorry to hear it went so badly.  I can't believe you toughed it out and finished - that deserves a huge congratulations!  I hope you managed to squeeze in some fun while you were there.

Angela