Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins Should Practice Random Acts Of Kindness! (Read 187 times)

Docket_Rocket

Awww, Coralie, that is so sad!

FWIW, I fed Rubio for 2.5 years as a stray before we let him in as our 5th cat.  He disappeared for 3 months.  I was so sad until one day he comes strolling back.  Hope yours went exploring and is not the one that was killed.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

Hi Pens

Another busy week, one more day and then I'm on pseudo-vacation until after the new year while the kid's home from preschool.

I had my appointment at the sports medicine center today. X-ray looked fine, I go in for an MRI tomorrow morning just to make sure I don't have a stress fracture. Which I highly doubt at this point, but it'll be good to find out for sure. My shin has been much better since Tuesday's run - slight form changes plus higher turnover, left all the other muscles in my legs sore. RD today, weights tomorrow, contemplating being a bad girl and fitting in a couple short runs before I follow up with the results of the MRI on Wednesday next week. On the other hand, I guess it's not a bad time of year for a break. Hmph.

Wandering Wally

Afternoon all.  Last night I got 8 miles in.  Tonight's run has been postponed due to blizzard conditions.  Hope you all are having a great day!

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

SheCan

mjsmith--- yikes @ blizzard conditions!   Hope you're not snowed in for long.

I did a 10 mile run today with a few tempo miles in there.  Felt great with the weather so cool.  Was glad I had my ear muffs and jacket on though.  

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

hog4life

5.14 miles on the TM with 30 minutes at 7:45-8:20.
            JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Wanted to go see "Lincoln"' but times didn't work out.  Warm, but light rain out, so we're going to go  out for lunch and do some shopping.  We'll have next several days running around in circles.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Scotty I wasn't meaning that to offend anyone I'msorry! There are many people who fall into the category of "very old" (though that's not you!) Or "having a disability" that are amazing runners and run MUCH faster than I do and much farther! Wasnt trying to offend anyone! I am actually moat inspired by people who get out there and run and race in spite of any kind of obstacle. In fact my entire life and career is based around helpung people ocercone obstacles in order to do things they want to do (I'm an occupational therapist). I promise I was NOT trying to offend anyone. That was probably the most insensitive thing I've ever said. I was just pointing out that I noticed the pack of a 10K, at least the one I ran, was much much much faster overall than the 5Ks Ive run. Example, there was a 5K right before my 10K on Sunday. DFL of the 5K was over an hour, while DFL of the 10 was in the hour and 30 minute range. Sorry Sad and ignore the boatload of typos. Too hard to fix on my phone.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

SheCan

oh I'm back, I forgot to say I LOVE the title of today's penguin thread!  And while I'm here I want to give Kristin and Scotty both hugs.  Kristin that was such a sweet apology.  

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Got my six in on the dreadmill. As usual with that, I bumped the speed up to get it over with.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

hog4life

I wish I could access this site at work so I could do personals, the iPhone just doesn't cut it for that! 3 miles for me this morning! Treadmill of course, but I did 1.5 of them at 3% incline!! Do you think one hill workout a week is enough or should I do 2! The 1/2 is a really hilly course through lake George, my outdoor runs have some hills but more like rolling hills not long ones!

Start with one and progress to 2 or more. 

kitteh

Gustav--"solo necesita una poca de gracia" Great song!

Dtothe2nd--How'd your 10 go?

Phillie--Good luck on the 10k this weekend!

Jerry--did you make it to the track?

Docket--ahh... sleeping in... I'm jealous.

Kristen--hope that cold stays at bay and you feel better soon!

Awood--Awesome about the discounted prices for races if you register early in Jan. Is that a "thing" that I just don't know about? I just started running last January and didn't sign up for my first race til October, so I'm totally in the dark about all of these tricks!

Scotty--LOL @ the strange "fence"

Hey Doc--Good luck on your treadmill 5-7

Tori--hope your stomach calms down!

Zel--36 and rainy sounds like torture to me! Good luck getting your run in!

MNMickey--Where in MN are you located? I was raised in the Twin Cities, but left for CA 12 years ago. Hope you're staying warm!

Jack--Nice work on the hilly 6! Thanks for the welcome, you're right that I'm in CA, doing the LA 13.1 in three weeks!

Coralie--So sorry about the kitten, but that is hilarious about blowing the house fuse! Pounding the stress out, indeed!

Running for two!

Pre-Preggo PRs--5k 23:00, 10k 49:07, HM 1:57:40

Post-Preggo PRs--5k TBD, 10k 54:45, HM 2:28:05

Thanks for the advice Scottydog and Hog4life! I actually want to run the whole race course with my dad about a month before the race! The course is on the main road between Lake George and Bolton Landing NY, but since its winter the road is not busy! In the summer it is definitely not safe to run! I like using the treadmill for hill work, because the largest incline on the course is 3%! I am officially starting a training program in January, and I'm very excited!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

Kitteh - I am NW of the cities these days but I have spent almost my whole life in the SE metro. We aren't getting the snow this time around but the windchill is supposed to be in the negative teens tonight. I am glad I brought my hat, it will be a chilly drive home from work. Smile

Mmmmm...beer

I said on FB that it was probably the best run of my life, but now that I think about it, it was absolutely the best run I've ever had, even better than my first "hey, I actually like running" run.  My fastest 10 miler ever, but it was unbelievably smooth, felt like I was just gliding along the whole time.  It was the quintessential perfect run.  Big grin

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I said on FB that it was probably the best run of my life, but now that I think about it, it was absolutely the best run I've ever had, even better than my first "hey, I actually like running" run.  My fastest 10 miler ever, but it was unbelievably smooth, felt like I was just gliding along the whole time.  It was the quintessential perfect run.  Big grin

Smile   Like. !!!!