Beginners and Beyond

Should I race a 5k 6 days before a marathon? (Read 48 times)

Brilliant

I've been challenged to race a friend in a 5k on March 9.  I said "no", using the excuse of the marathon coming up on March 15.  My friend thinks I'm a pansy for not wanting to run 3 miles: what could possibly go wrong?  It's not that I have a problem with running 3 miles, rather I'm worried about racing it - wearing myself out or getting injured.

Should I plan to race my friend in April, or am I being overly cautious in avoiding the March 9 race?

Half Crazy K 2.0

I'd wait until after the marathon. There will be plenty of 5ks. Last time I decided to do just a 5k before a half marathon, I wound up tripping on a root and bruising my kneecap. I wound up not running until the day of the half. Not the best taper.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

No

You can run a 5k before as an nice run...  not speedwork, not tempo.  just a nice run.

Should you actually race the 5k, the least you will have to deal with is being not tip top fresh for the marathon.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Depends on how easy it would be to beat him. If you can cruise to victory with what amounts to a tempo run, fine. If it will take a race effort, wait until at least a month, preferably 6 weeks, after the marathon to race him over 5K.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Brilliant

Ok, thanks.  I want to RACE him (yes, it's a him!) and give it my all.   So I'm going to make him wait until April based on your great feedback!  I need to be "tip top fresh" on the 15th as Slymoon puts it.

LRB

There are always distractions during MRT and that is exactly what this is.

Big picture; this isn't the time for that. He will have to wait to get his ass handed to him on a platter and deservedly so.

MothAudio

I've been challenged to race a friend in a 5k on March 9.  I said "no", using the excuse of the marathon coming up on March 15.  My friend thinks I'm a pansy for not wanting to run 3 miles: what could possibly go wrong?  It's not that I have a problem with running 3 miles, rather I'm worried about racing it - wearing myself out or getting injured.

Should I plan to race my friend in April, or am I being overly cautious in avoiding the March 9 race?

You're going to jeopardize months of training for a stupid challenge?

Simple solution. Just make the marathon the challenge. Now who's the pansy.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Docket_Rocket

Racing?  No.  Running it for fun, yes.  Don't forget what the goal is.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

You're going to jeopardize months of training for a stupid challenge?

Simple solution. Just make the marathon the challenge. Now who's the pansy.

/thread

Dave

Brilliant

I knew you all would have wisdom for me.  Can I come here with non-running-related troubles too? Wink

I knew you all would have wisdom for me.  Can I come here with non-running-related troubles too? Wink

Everybody does! As long as you don't mind getting some really crappy advice.

Dave

RSX

Those are the best kind of troubles.

As for a 5k I agree with the rest. Last year I "ran" a special 5k to me 2 days before Boston. I would have run that day anyway but I was planning on slow/easy. My SIL took it upon herself to pace me to a PW and succeeded. She told me a few times to slow down and was great