Beginners and Beyond

RR - Ann Arbor Marathon 6/9 (Pics added) (Read 99 times)

LRB

For that last portion of the race, I was feeling totally drained; at every single moment I so badly wanted to stop & walk. I never did, but it took everything I had to keep running.

Love that!

They actually changed the marathon course from last year but it is still considered challenging, so that bodes well for you in the fall.  Your pace drop off is in line with the course and for where you are as a weekend warrior.  You should expect to hold your pace a little better in four months.

Moving forward, if nothing else you definitely want to get to know tempo/10k pace once you resume training.  You can incorporate those into your training without adopting an official training plan.

Shout out to the DW!

happylily

Dave, congratulations on your PR and on digging deep! There is a definite improvement in your running and expect a huge PR come fall if you can follow some sort of plan with speedwork and you get the right conditions on race day. You will see the difference especially in the last miles, you'll feel so much stronger! But you did great this time. And your wife is such a sweetie! Having the support of a loved one on race day makes a big difference.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Hip Redux

Executive summary: These marathon things are really hard.

QFT!

Great job, Dave!

SheCan

Executive summary: These marathon things are really hard

Special kudos to DW, who based on the last experience did not want me having to drive home; she got up at 5:15 AM to drive me the 35 min to the race, then came back later with the kids to watch me cross the finish line. Often she is just kind of annoyed by my running, but when it matters, she comes through.

Congratulations on your 2nd marathon, and on such a fantastic time.  I know you were shooting for under 4, but still this is a really good time, and next time, you'll get to blow it away.  Glad you were okay after the race with little to no stiffness.  And yes, spouses can be wonderful at helping us with our goals.  Sometimes I think we don't give them enough credit.  Smile Awesome you!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

A few race pics.

Here's me showing off my Run for Boston bracelet. Rockin' the Martian race shirt.

Mad dash/slog across the finish line! This guy beat me by 0.3 seconds, but I still look pretty happy to be done. (Plus found out later he was not in my AG, so no prob.)

Another finish line shot. I don't know what the hell that clock was doing, but I'm gonna go ahead & call that my official time.

Dave

SheCan

A few race pics.

Another finish line shot. I don't know what the hell that clock was doing, but I'm gonna go ahead & call that my official time.

Haha!  You need to order that picture!

LOVE YOUR MARTIAN RACE SHIRT!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Dad on the run.

Great job! Nice that you PR'd plus your pacing looked a lot better than your first marathon.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

delicate flower

Nice pics, Dave!  3:10!!  Damn impressive!  Big grin

<3

Hip Redux

Haha!  You need to order that picture!

Totally LOL

I love that you're still smiling at the end!

Docket_Rocket

Great pics. Yes, order that picture and people will believe that time!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Great pics. Yes, order that picture and people will believe that time!

Yeah, it worked really well for Paul Ryan.

You people have issues 

LRB

I have been unable to muster anything close to a smile at the end of my two marathons so bravo for that!

Where is that finish, the U of M soccer field?

Docket_Rocket

I thought of him while writing it....Big grin

Yeah, it worked really well for Paul Ryan.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

MrNamtor

dave, you're a handsome son of a gun.

Don't take that the wrong way Big grin

happylily

You do look great, Dave. Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010