Beginners and Beyond

Fridailies Forging Forward (Read 45 times)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Me, I got in 6 and some change around the loop at my work.  I remain uncertain as to what I am doing for a workout tomorrow.  I have a 1 mile race coming up soon and would like to train for that, but have not seen any mile specific workouts that appeal to me.

Anyone have any ideas?  I'll be your guinea pig.

Most of mine are strength workouts, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  Here's a couple ideas:

2-3 sets of:  2x1000m, 2x400m, 2x250m

pace:  1000s at 5k pace, 400s at mile pace, 250 all out

rest:  job same as interval, 1 lap between sets (and yes, you do the 2 consecutive of the distance before moving to the next)

2x800m, 1 mile, 2x800m

pace:  mile at 5k pace, 800s faster (not specific, but about 90-95% effort)

rest:  jog 2-3 minutes between each

3 sets of:  800m, 2min jog, 400m

pace:  800 at 5k minus 20sec, 400 at 5k minus 35sec

rest:  4 minute jog between sets

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I had an altercation with the basement floor. It came away unscathed. My tail bone did not. I've been icing my ass with a bag of corn. Still hurts like a muthah. Dr. Web, M.D. says it could take up to four weeks to heal.

Meatballs sound interesting....It was suggested I use a whole frozen cob, but I opted for the kernels, lol.

You must not have had enough butt to cushion your fall.  The tailbone is hard to reach...I could see the cob being an effective method, though one that I would like skip as well.  Good luck with the healing.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ouch, BeachRunner.

Damaris

LRB

Heh, I've got a bunch on the calendar.  My next two are a duathlon on July 14 and a 5K on Aug 10.  I'd love to race you too but not until I'm fully recovered so I can whip your ass.

Shit, you're getting there, and on that day just be prepared to go to the darkest corner of your soul.  I'll be there waiting on ya, already on my second cup of coffee.  ; )

Dr. Cornsitter

You must not have had enough butt to cushion your fall.  The tailbone is hard to reach...I could see the cob being an effective method, though one that I would like skip as well.  Good luck with the healing.

Ahhhh.....no, there is definitely enough cushioning. Fat-Bottomed Girl is my ringtone afetrall. I just think the fall graceful plummet was especially violent less than dainty.

Thanks for the positive thoughts directed at my ass, though Big grin

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Ahhhh.....no, there is definitely enough cushioning. Fat-Bottomed Girl is my ringtone afetrall. I just think the fall graceful plummet was especially violent less than dainty.

Thanks for the positive thoughts directed at my ass, though Big grin

Funny, that's my ringtone too!  As for the thoughts, don't mention it.

SIAR, LRB, MA - we should start an early morning exclusive club.  Although I swam today - literally and figuratively.

Dave - I've been trying to get to yoga more regularly these days.  I'm terrible at it though LOL  Have you been doing it long?

MBC - I have been doing yoga about 8 years. I was pretty dedicated ~3x/week; running was actually more secondary until a couple years ago. I usually do a pretty intense practice, so it's a tough workout. This year the frequency has dropped off as I have increased the running; harder to fit it in due to time, as well as not having as much energy for it. Still try to get it in once or twice/wk; I do not bike nor swim nor do weights, so that is my x-train. I think it is a pretty good one, incorporates a lot of strength, flexibility & core work. Like anything, the more you do it, the better you get at it. I can actually do some pretty cool poses, although because of my super-tight hamstrings, I fail at some of the most basic ones (e.g. forward fold).

And I will (re)join the early morning club, once I can get back to f***ing running. 

Dave

Hip Redux

Damn, Dave, I didn't realized you'd been at yoga that long!  Impressive.  What style do you do?

Please do not include me in any early morning activities, k,  unless you would like to see the wrath of Oski.     There was one time my husband kept hitting snooze in the AM, and as the story goes, I yelled "If you don't turn off that ^%$#& alarm, I am going to shove it up your ass."   And I was serious.Angry

lol

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

No morning runner here either.

Damaris

Dr. Cornsitter

I'd be a morning runner any day of the week. I don't like to run after eating and I like getting it done and out of the way first thing in the morning. This is more feasible during the spring/summer/fall. Not so much in the winter when it's only daylight 2.3 hours a day and effing cold.

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

MBC - I have been doing yoga about 8 years. I was pretty dedicated ~3x/week; running was actually more secondary until a couple years ago. I usually do a pretty intense practice, so it's a tough workout. This year the frequency has dropped off as I have increased the running; harder to fit it in due to time, as well as not having as much energy for it. Still try to get it in once or twice/wk; I do not bike nor swim nor do weights, so that is my x-train. I think it is a pretty good one, incorporates a lot of strength, flexibility & core work. Like anything, the more you do it, the better you get at it. I can actually do some pretty cool poses, although because of my super-tight hamstrings, I fail at some of the most basic ones (e.g. forward fold).

And I will (re)join the early morning club, once I can get back to f***ing running. 

I also have tight hamstrings.  I told my cousin I only do the easy poses.  She said "there are no easy poses." I said, "Ok, let me rephrase: I do the poses where I can't hurt myself."  LOL

I've been doing Vinyasa and she signed us up for a stand up paddle-board yoga in August.   I plan on getting wet from falling over on that one.  Which one do you practice?  I'm not even sure of the differences between them all yet.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

LRB I go to bed early too. Have to

I did yoga weekly along with running and Pilates. or awhile. But I like Pilates and running better so the yoga went.  The yoga was an hour and a half. I do some if the poses still. But I needed that hour and a half or other things!  I already spend a ton of time exercising as it is.

Marjorie

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

No morning runner here either.

Except when I'm there and make you meet me at 5 am to run.....

Marjorie

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

True!

Except when I'm there and make you meet me at 5 am to run.....

Damaris

SheCan

Supp Cherie!  Do you ever have problems with scorpions out there?

We have em, but they usually stay outside.  Been in AZ since 1999 and really haven't had any problems with them, though I still don't exactly like em.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson