Beginners and Beyond

No Shoes, No Shirt, No SATURDAILIES (Read 71 times)

Just B.S.

Many moons ago, I was out on a run with my college GF after a crab dinner, when she stopped and said her throat was closing up. I thought she was joking, but she told me to get her to the hospital. I ran to get my car because we were within a mile of home, and drove her over there. By the time we made it, she looked like I punched her out (I didn't). They gave her steroids and told her to start carrying an epi pen. That was a pretty frightening experience because at that moment I kind of realized that if we were not close to a medical facility when this happened, there was probably nothing I could have done to help her.

Thanks goodness you were so close and acted quickly!

My husband can totally relate I'm sure!LOL First thing we do when travelling is to make sure we know where

a hospital or 24 hr clinic is located.

He was out of the room when it started. When he came back I said "I think we need an ambulance", he said

"just lie down with a cold cloth and see how you feel".......then I lifted up my shirt and showed him the two extra

boobs I had grown under my arms (because the lymph nodes swell so much)  and all the 6inch welts all over

my body and he said "OK I think we need  an ambulance"Roll eyes

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Wow, y'all have been busy!

On Saturday, January 19th, I participated in the Selma-Schertz Salute To Service Members 5K.  This was my 6th race of 2013.  Link to my report and photos for this event is below.  Please feel free to share the report and photos.

http://forums.runnersworld.com/forums/runner-communities/beginners#plckforumpage=ForumDiscussion&plckdiscussionid=Cat%3ARunner%20CommunitiesForum%3A608106477Discussion%3Afb8594f1-c85e-49d7-9011-f316663d8eb8&plckpostid=Cat%3ARunner%20CommunitiesForum%3A608106477Discussion%3Afb8594f1-c85e-49d7-9011-f316663d8eb8Post%3A11096515-f026-4ff6-9b54-8ea278f72fc3

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

runmomto3boys

Tried out some new OTC inserts on my run.

Wound up running 10 in 1:12 and change, first at 7:30-ish, last 3 in 7:01, 6:16, 6:09. No particular reason, just felt like going faster because I haven't done anything but easy in quite some time. I guess I also discovered I'm in better cardiovascular shape than I expected. The inserts did seem to relieve my ankle discomfort until the last 2 miles. That could be because I sped up. I'll keep wearing them for now. They do seem to help, so hopefully they won't mess anything else up because my foot strike does feel pretty different with them.

Niiiice!  That's great news!  The last two miles?  Insanely fast!

Angela: INCREDIBLE job on that 7 miler and at hitting those paces on the progressive run!  I'm so happy for you!

Phil:  I am interested to hear what you think of HRM training.  I have a monitor, but haven't used it yet.

Kay: I love the new kicks!!!  Yay for awesome, supportive friends - the best kind to have!

Sparker: Great job on the 4.5 miler!

Thanks, Heidi and Beth.  At the end of last year, I was sure I was never going to regain my fitness but it looks promising.

You can call me Anna

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Yes!

I got my after-work run in, but only 5 miles instead of 6. They were in the process of rolling up the sidewalks when I hit 4.75 miles so I ran around the parking lot to complete the 5. They actually closed and padlocked a gate to a portion of the riverwalk. I guess they're serious about the park closing at sundown (still had about 10-15 minutes, certainly enough for 1 more mile).

No big deal - 5 miles is fine. SRD tomorrow, then a long run on Monday morning while they're installing a trailer hitch on my Escape.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

LRB

That run knocked me on my ass lol!  I fell asleep, and totally lost track of the dailies!  Just going to wing it here:

Anna, that is great news!

Sarah, congrats on a Pinktastic run, ha!

Thanks Beth, love you babe!

Scrape, my best friend has a seafood allergy with the exact same repercussions.  When out, he has to dig through and sniff his food to ensure there's no shell fish in anything.  His life depends on it.  Bet that was a pretty fast mile you ran back then!

Phil, I wore my HR strap on a few elliptical workouts.  It kept me somewhat (not really) occupied while unable to run.

Congrats on your race Robert!  I am going to make it a point to race a 1 mile event this year.  Even if it's a damn fun run with a bunch of 5 year olds, hmph!  >:-/

Hope the shoes work for you Kay!

Wassup George, AI., Tom, Luke, Scotty, Docket, C0de, SIAR and anyone I missed!

delicate flower

Just queued up Pirates! Band of Misfits on the On Demand.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  One eye less but still managed an awesome 10 miler.  Not by fastest but probably my fastest post asthma.

scrape, sounds like the inserts might help.  Great workout.

I don't run with one but I have it with me all the time.  DH gave me an extra dose of antihistamines and by the time I went out to run it was not bad.  But damn, that was only for my food being close to shellfish.  I always hate when people say, but why don't you eat it and see what happens?  Yeah, I don't need to.  I'd die.

That sucks. Do you carry an Epipen (or two)? Celiac and the digestive discomfort from cross-contamination is bad enough, but the whole idea of an anaphylactic allergy terrifies me.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I do one better.  I have even asked the cook to make sure my steak does not have seafood in it, LOL.  Good thing now, being vegetarian, the chance of cross contamination is a tad lower.  Still, I've been dealing with this since I was young and the most annoying is my coworkers.  Every time they do a paella day I have to take the day off.  Even that smell makes me break out in hives.

That run knocked me on my ass lol!  I fell asleep, and totally lost track of the dailies!  Just going to wing it here:

Anna, that is great news!

Sarah, congrats on a Pinktastic run, ha!

Thanks Beth, love you babe!

Scrape, my best friend has a seafood allergy with the exact same repercussions.  When out, he has to dig through and sniff his food to ensure there's no shell fish in anything.  His life depends on it.  Bet that was a pretty fast mile you ran back then!

Phil, I wore my HR strap on a few elliptical workouts.  It kept me somewhat (not really) occupied while unable to run.

Congrats on your race Robert!  I am going to make it a point to race a 1 mile event this year.  Even if it's a damn fun run with a bunch of 5 year olds, hmph!  >:-/

Hope the shoes work for you Kay!

Wassup George, AI., Tom, Luke, Scotty, Docket, C0de, SIAR and anyone I missed!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Chairman

LRB, from what I remember, that mile was just a notch above tempo because I ran it before her face swelled up like she was just in a prize fight. No "oh shit" panic yet.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

Docket_Rocket

Ugh, scrape.

I remember one night I took the wrong fork (my mother's).  Nobody believed that my lips felt swollen until they looked huge.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Better I Leave

**sigh**

Didn't make it out to the lake w/ DAWG. Had to see my mom in the nursing facility. There's always tomorrow though, right? Sooo....belted out a quick 3.3 miles on the TM.

Reading some of your folks' times really impresses me and inspires me to keep running and just maybe....JUST MAYBE...I'll be faster. My last mile today though I held a 8:49 pace without any problem. Hey...I can dream, can't I? Big grin

**Runs off to go lift**

Good evening, people!

Just B.S., reading your posts makes me wish that I knew how to swim.

flarunner, great job running five miles in wind and rain.

jneilt, a coffee and an apple fritter...yum!

AI, I'm happy that the boy is feeling better. Great swimming.

DaveP MI, welcome aboard! I hope that you have a complete and speedy recovery.

Kay, I hope that the gait analysis went well. Enjoy your new kicksSmile

Rick, you had an amazing run today.

AprilRunner, great run, great pace, yummy breakfast.

SIAR, 16.06? Sweet!

Shari, nice run. What, exactly, is your plan for the coming week?

Luke, great run. I'm glad that you're OK.

Weezer, seventeen miles at about 8:00 is pretty damn good.

c0derunner, I'm happy that your run went well, except for the tumble. That reminds me of the time I fell and my first thought was "****, my tights!"

Alexis, you killed that uphill run.

Heidi, excellent easy run.

Robert, congratulations on your AG placement and your PR!

Pinktastic, great run!

rkymtnanna, wonderful job on the progression run.

Baboon, I'm happy that you're still able to exercise.

wcrunner2, great job finishing the ten-miler.

Scott, nice run. I hope that your tummy feels better.

scottydawg, congratulations on another job well doneSmile

Tom, great job fitting in that run after work.

Damaris, you ran a ten-miler after an asthma attack?!?

PineGroveDave, amazing job squeezing a run into your day under such stressful conditions.

Ugh, I hate it when people foist their own laissez-faire attitude toward food onto others who can never be afforded that luxury.

SRD today. 10.0 miles, weights, push-ups, and abs tomorrow. I'm not bringing anything but water and music on the run. No fuel. Wish me luck!

Docket_Rocket

I didn't have an asthma attack, Basya.  I had some allergy issues from something I ate today.  I have finished marathons after asthma attacks so that wouldn't be that far off, though. Big grin

Damaris

Fundraising Page

LRB

Basya, I learned how to swim at age 42.  It's never too late!