Beginners and Beyond

No Shoes, No Shirt, No SATURDAILIES (Read 71 times)

Docket_Rocket

That gives me hope.  I can swim as all boaters can, but I get tired too soon to be able to do a tri.  My husband is saying no to a bike and is scared of me even starting tris.  He knows what would come next.  Tris are too short for me, LOL.

Basya, I learned how to swim at age 42.  It's never too late!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Just B.S.

That gives me hope.  I can swim as all boaters can, but I get tired too soon to be able to do a tri.  My husband is saying no to a bike and is scared of me even starting tris.  He knows what would come next.  Tris are too short for me, LOL.

I've done them. You should try one before you say that!LOL

That lovely feeling of your legs being like jello after the swim and after the bike make them seem

a lot longer than they are!  I'm living proof that you can be old and train for marathons, duathlons

and triathlons at the same time! Big grin

Baysa, I swam a lot until age 17, then I started working and really nothing for the last 34 years. I'm

51 and really just getting back at it again. You might be surprised how many people are at the pool

taking adult learner lessons!

Docket_Rocket

Oh I"m sure.  BUt my husband knows me too much to know I would be IMs soon after my first tri.  I'm hoping that my ultras every year would make him yell, OK, here's your bike.  Please!

I've done them. You should try one before you say that!LOL

That lovely feeling of your legs being like jello after the swim and after the bike make them seem

a lot longer than they are!  I'm living proof that you can be old and train for marathons, duathlons

and triathlons at the same time! Big grin

Baysa, I swam a lot until age 17, then I started working and really nothing for the last 34 years. I'm

51 and really just getting back at it again. You might be surprised how many people are at the pool

taking adult learner lessons!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Just B.S.

Oh I"m sure.  BUt my husband knows me too much to know I would be IMs soon after my first tri.  I'm hoping that my ultras every year would make him yell, OK, here's your bike.  Please!

Oh, well I'm sure even with the progress I'm making in my swimming I'm at least 2-3 years away

from an IM. AT least that's what my IM friends advise me.  Of course the run distance is fine  and

the cycling wouldn't be an issue since I've been cycling a road bike for 12 years but the swimming

takes a long to to build up to that distance.

You must be a far better swimmer than me!!

notimeforthat

Oh, well I'm sure even with the progress I'm making in my swimming I'm at least 2-3 years away

from an IM. AT least that's what my IM friends advise me.  Of course the run distance is fine  and

the cycling wouldn't be an issue since I've been cycling a road bike for 12 years but the swimming

takes a long to to build up to that distance.

You must be a far better swimmer than me!!

I have ZERO desire to tackle an IM distance race. I find no fun in being on my feet for 12+ hours (realistically more like 14). I said no more marathons after #2 and I meant it.

The biggest mistake I see in newcomers to the sport is no different than newcomers to running. Biting off more than they can chew and not respecting the distance and effort/training it takes to get to a point where you are not a safety risk to yourself and others is truly important.

I like Olympic distance races, it is a lot like racing a half but longer by some. I may do a half distance race once graduation hits and I am settled in the new career....so 2014 is looking like it since graduation is in April, board cert. exams in the summer.

StepbyStep-SH

Basya - Next week should be: Mon - 8 mi fartlek w/8x30secs @ 5k pace; Tues - 6 mi easy + strength class; Wed - 6 mi easy+5x8sec hill sprints; Thurs - 8 mi w/5x1200@HMP + strength class; Fri - 6 mi easy; Sat - 12 mi w/last 4 progression from MP+20 secs to MP. About 46 miles altogether. Not sure I'll be able to get that Saturday run in, though, because DH will be out of town and DS has a birthday party in the morning. If I can drop him off, run near the party location, and pick him up in running clothes, I might be able to make it work, but it will mean running outside, and we're expected to be back to significantly sub-zero windchills that day.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Damn, Shari. That's a wild plan.

Rick, Damaris, Lori, everyone, thank you for being so supportive. I'm going to look into lessons. Hopefully, I'll be able to find something that's not on Saturdays.

Better I Leave

The biggest mistake I see in newcomers to the sport is no different than newcomers to running. Biting off more than they can chew and not respecting the distance and effort/training it takes to get to a point where you are not a safety risk to yourself and others is truly important.

Yep. I'm one of them. I ran the Oakland Half back in 2011 after only "training" for a few months on the TM...And I ran them in Reebok Runtones. I didn't have a clue about what I was doing (remember, I was a "lifter" first and foremost). I finished the half in 2:18...but practically couldn't walk for 2 weeks thereafter! LOL! **yeah, I can laugh now, but then...I thought I had permanently damaged myself**

10 miles, easy pace

Just B.S.

I have ZERO desire to tackle an IM distance race. I find no fun in being on my feet for 12+ hours (realistically more like 14). I said no more marathons after #2 and I meant it.

I like Olympic distance races, it is a lot like racing a half but longer by some. I may do a half distance race once graduation hits and I am settled in the new career....so 2014 is looking like it since graduation is in April, board cert. exams in the summer.

THAT is exactly why I'm listening to my IM friends and taking a realistic approach. I need to do a 1/2 Iron Before and IM, an Olympic or two before that and quite a few Sprints before that............this is no short term  thing to tackle.......maybe because I've been doing 1/2 marathons for 10 years and fulls for 2.5 and I have a lot of friends who have completed the IM distance that I do understand and respect the work  it takes..............2.-3 years is a goal but I am relastic , it will likely take longer to work up to that swim distance.

Having already done a sprint tri and many duathlons I know that one cannot just jump to the IM distance, even the half IM unless possibly you were a competitive swimmer first..........swimming is so much challenging than running and cycling!!

Al, I hope you don't mind if I am picking your brain and tapping into your swimming knowledge over the next few months!