Beginners and Beyond

FRI-I-I-I-D-A-Y! Dailies (Read 53 times)


Bad Ass

    Yeap. Famous quote. I went there in May and was freezing. But they move the race one month later and I am coming to race the marathon, so of course there will be a heat wave.

     

     

     

    The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco!

     

    Though he really didn't say it, it is commonly attributed to Twain.

    Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

    Next:  RnR Country Music Half Marathon

    Blog

    "The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

       

      Nice! I have a 3-day weekend too but on the other end. My office is on the second floor of the building and my aversion to elevators is a good reason to take off the day after a long race. Stairs aren't my friend that day.

       

      Nice! I'll have to remember that excuse!

       

      SF has strange weather. I was there during the first week of November one year and had to buy t-shirts!

      So_Im_a_Runner


      Go figure

        Hey all.  I ran 5 miles, with 2 at MP.  Something about my breathing still just doesn't feel right, but I'm only mildly concerned as I know taper just makes us all funky.  Still, I rarely breathe heavily, and I have on the last few runs.  As for my race forecast, it's starting to look a little worse - 60% chance of rain.  Oh well, better that than too warm.

         

        Scotty...Hope those tests come back clear.  If not, you'll get through it!

        PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)


        Bad Ass

          Word.

           

          It's probably just taper.  If not, hope it goes away.

           

          Question, do you use the Hoka speed ones?  A friend of mine kept talking about buying his Hokas and now complains of ankle pain but when I inquired he bought these:

           

          http://hokaoneone-na.com/bondi_b_speed-men.html

           

          which I think are not for ultra or long runs, no?

           

          Hey all.  I ran 5 miles, with 2 at MP.  Something about my breathing still just doesn't feel right, but I'm only mildly concerned as I know taper just makes us all funky.  Still, I rarely breathe heavily, and I have on the last few runs.  As for my race forecast, it's starting to look a little worse - 60% chance of rain.  Oh well, better that than too warm.

           

          Scotty...Hope those tests come back clear.  If not, you'll get through it!

          Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

          Next:  RnR Country Music Half Marathon

          Blog

          "The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

          Luke79


            What up dailies.  3.34 miles @ 8:19 after 5 miles on the bike.  Good workout.

             

             

             

             

             

             


            YAYpril - B-Plus

              What up dailies.  3.34 miles @ 8:19 after 5 miles on the bike.  Good workout.

               

              Nice brick!

               

              SIATaperer, hopefully it's just the madness getting to you. Maybe you're just getting your lousy runs out of the way before your stellar performance on Sunday. Smile 60% chance of rain means 40% chance of NO rain.

              kristin10185


              I race in SparkleSkirts

                Hugs to scotty!

                PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:21:47 (10/12/13)

                 

                I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

                So_Im_a_Runner


                Go figure

                  Word.

                   

                  It's probably just taper.  If not, hope it goes away.

                   

                  Question, do you use the Hoka speed ones?  A friend of mine kept talking about buying his Hokas and now complains of ankle pain but when I inquired he bought these:

                   

                  http://hokaoneone-na.com/bondi_b_speed-men.html

                   

                  which I think are not for ultra or long runs, no?

                   

                  Mine are the Stinson Tarmac.  I've heard a lot of people mention ankle and calf trouble when starting in them.  It just seems like there's an adjustment period with the extra cushioning.  Those also have very little drop at 4.5mm, so it may be less than he's used to.  The Hoka guy was just back at our store the other day.  It's interesting the way that they do their fitting for shoe sizes.  They take it from where the last bone or "metahead" of your arch sits, and pretty much everyone that they fit ends up with a shoe that's at least a half size larger than what they normally wear.

                   

                  As for the use of those shoes, they're pretty all-purpose.  If you can run long a shoe, you ought to be able to run short in it too (as long as you're not looking for something like a racing flat or whatnot).

                  PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)


                  Bad Ass

                    funny since my trail Hokas were true to size.

                     

                    My only comment is that if Hoka is a brand known for specializing in ultra shoes, why buy a speed shoe from them? There are plenty of brands specializing in that to try a new one that might not even know how to build a speed shoe.  I still don't have my road Hokas but I am in no hurry.

                    Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

                    Next:  RnR Country Music Half Marathon

                    Blog

                    "The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

                    So_Im_a_Runner


                    Go figure

                       

                      Nice brick!

                       

                      SIATaperer, hopefully it's just the madness getting to you. Maybe you're just getting your lousy runs out of the way before your stellar performance on Sunday. Smile 60% chance of rain means 40% chance of NO rain.

                       

                      Yes, but that big green blob moving that direction does not look promising!  I really don't mind the rain too much and have done a marathon in it before, so that helps.  You may be right about the lousy runs.  I also typically run longer, so maybe I'm just not settling in.  Who knows?!?!  It seems saner in here today - you feeling good?

                      PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

                      So_Im_a_Runner


                      Go figure

                        funny since my trail Hokas were true to size.

                         

                        My only comment is that if Hoka is a brand known for specializing in ultra shoes, why buy a speed shoe from them? There are plenty of brands specializing in that to try a new one that might not even know how to build a speed shoe.  I still don't have my road Hokas but I am in no hurry.

                         

                        I think they just started out as an "ultra" shoe and were developed by those kind of runners, but they're making a big push to expand their brand to all runners.  I guess the speed shoe is just for someone that wants the Hoka cushioning, but with a little less shoe.  There's really no other shoe that offers even close to that kind of cushioning, and especially not in something flat and fast.  Whether that's better or worse, I'm not sure.  I will say that I'm racing my marathon in a pair of 6.4 oz LunaRacers and not my Hokas lol.

                        PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)


                        Bad Ass

                          My point exactly, LOL.

                           

                           

                          I think they just started out as an "ultra" shoe and were developed by those kind of runners, but they're making a big push to expand their brand to all runners.  I guess the speed shoe is just for someone that wants the Hoka cushioning, but with a little less shoe.  There's really no other shoe that offers even close to that kind of cushioning, and especially not in something flat and fast.  Whether that's better or worse, I'm not sure.  I will say that I'm racing my marathon in a pair of 6.4 oz LunaRacers and not my Hokas lol.

                          Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

                          Next:  RnR Country Music Half Marathon

                          Blog

                          "The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."


                          YAYpril - B-Plus

                             

                            Yes, but that big green blob moving that direction does not look promising!  I really don't mind the rain too much and have done a marathon in it before, so that helps.  You may be right about the lousy runs.  I also typically run longer, so maybe I'm just not settling in.  Who knows?!?!  It seems saner in here today - you feeling good?

                             

                            I think so?? I'm still doubting my goal pace but I guess that's part of the process. I've had lots of reassurance from good friends so hopefully I feel good on Sunday. Don't tell Damaris but right now my forecast is for 50* at 8am and 57* at 10am, with 2-3mph winds and sunny with no chance of rain.

                             

                            Jack - glad you liked the beer! I laughed when you said you didn't drink all of it. Smile

                            alexis_run_nky


                              Good afternoon all!!

                               

                              I got done with school earlier and have been studying non stop since I got home. Finals next Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday Then summer!!!

                               

                              scotty, I'm sorry to hear that but you're strong and can get through anything!

                               

                              And what happened to KayPS... I know she had a HM this past weekend and I've been looking at the dailies and haven't seen her around. Did I miss something?

                               

                              I hope everyone has a fantastic day and has an even better weekend!!

                              kristin10185


                              I race in SparkleSkirts

                                I have been noticing her absence too and messaged her on facebook this morning. She told me that she will get us a RR of her debut half marathon but she has just been so busy!

                                 

                                Good afternoon all!!

                                 

                                I got done with school earlier and have been studying non stop since I got home. Finals next Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday Then summer!!!

                                 

                                scotty, I'm sorry to hear that but you're strong and can get through anything!

                                 

                                And what happened to KayPS... I know she had a HM this past weekend and I've been looking at the dailies and haven't seen her around. Did I miss something?

                                 

                                I hope everyone has a fantastic day and has an even better weekend!!

                                PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:21:47 (10/12/13)

                                 

                                I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to