Beginners and Beyond

Happy Festivus Wednesday Penguins (Read 19 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Commence the Airing of Grievances

PADRunner

Tried to run yesterday but only got 1.5 knees still not ready. So back on the elliptical this morning for 60 min.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have Pilates tonight and that is it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

I plan on about 4-5 miles, probably outside in the rain.

From the Internet.

Day 2 of ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Calf feels about the same - not terrible, just tight. Cold still lingering. This is the longest break I've taken from running and lifting and cross-training since those 4 or 5 days off right after I broke my toe in June, so it's probably not a bad idea to just keep resting for a couple more days and be ready to rock next week.

Someone on another forum pointed out that lateral leg could be IT band related, since I've got hamstring tightness and knots in my hip region too, and once he said that I realized that the presentation - worse going down stairs and running down hills, better with faster pace - points directly to IT band, so hopefully that's the underlying issue here. I'll get back on my PT exercise game this afternoon, keep stretching and rolling everything, and hopefully that'll fix me up.

Wandering Wally

Taking my 2 kids shopping tonight so they can pick out some stuff for mom. That will be enough of a workout for today.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

GinnyinPA

Wow - MJ - shopping two days before Christmas could indeed be a workout.  Good luck.

PAD - sorry the knee is still hurting.

D- enjoy your running rest day.

Margo - you're braver than I am.  Good luck with your wet run.

Jill - from yesterday - I hope your cold is starting to get better.  Have a good trip.

Lauren - I hope rolling the IT band helps.  Take it easy.

I have 5, probably on the TM since it's pouring outside.

From the Internet.

LEG PROBLEM SOLVED. Peroneals were freaking out and pulling on everything else, plus the right glute is being lazy and not doing its job. Some lower-leg dry needling, some stability exercises and mobility work to keep up with, I should feel totally fine in a week or two and can keep running to tolerance until then. Having a good physical therapist is amazing.

SheCan

Morning Penguins!

Pad-- 60 min on the elliptical sounds like a great workout anyhow.

Docket  -love the profile picture, enjoy your Pilates.

Philliefan, I'm sending dry vibes your way.

Lauren-- I'm glad you have some answers.  Body's do eventually heal.

MJ-- I so don't envy you!   Good luck with the mall workout.  You're a brave one.

Ginny-- enjoy your dry workout on the TM.

8-1/2 yesterday & 6 today.  Both were really awesome runs since the weather has been cooperating, and the wind has been behaving.  I hate feeling like I'm gulping wind the whole run.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Great news Lauren. Hope the exercises work.

5.5 quick, breezy miles for us (in shorts).

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

On Tuesday,  I did an early evening run/walk at McAllister Park; haven't run there in a couple of months. Nice weather, 77 degrees - even the Sno Cone guy was in the park doing a brisk business...in December, sheesh - and ran in a singlet. Ended up with 3.4 miles. And I guess the deer in the park had missed me...cuz they welcomed me back at Mile 2....BAM! Jumped across the trail right in front of me, and down I go, right on my keister, as I backpedal. Luckily, I landed on my most padded part, lol. I swear I must be the comic relief for those darn deer, I've been knocked down by them at least 20 times in that park over the last 21 years living here; thankfully have never actually been hit by one!

Today I did a run/walk at Lackland Air Force Base.  Since I am off from the university for Christmas/New Year's break from today until January 4th, I slept in a bit today and did not even start my run/walk until abouit 11:45 a.m. from the base gym.  Very sunny, blue skies, 78 degrees.  Did a few of the pedestrian overpasses as some hill work and ended up with 3.2 miles.  Then I made a mistake and went to the base exchange store...wow...CRAZY town and long lines...and because of the holiday on Friday - usually the day classes graduate from basic training I think  the graduation date this week was Wednesday, so all the graduates and their families were all over the place too.   I managed to get a few things I needed and found a somewhat short line and then got the heck out of there.  Also encountered two of my Team RWB team-mates...and wouldn't you know it, now their names have gone right out of my head, duhhh;  but nice seeing them.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt